Dan Orlovsky and Yawin Smallwood on Campus as Student Assistants | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Orlovsky and Yawin Smallwood on Campus as Student Assistants

Reaction Score

Nice read:
>>"Do I wish I played more? Sure. But it's not like I go, 'Man, if I had done this it would have worked out differently and I would have played more.' I know that I've given it everything I have. I've really taken pride in, and appreciated, the role I've had. Someone asked me if I would ever be a quarterback coach. Well, it's kind of what I've done the last couple years. It's a unique skill, and that's why there's not a lot of us, guys that can play without getting a lot of reps."

One benefit to being a backup: Orlovsky hasn't taken many hits over the years and he remains healthy. Another key to his longevity is continually preparing in advance of games as if he is going to play. Years rolled by and he eventually started being looked up to by those above him in the depth chart. He backed up Matt Stafford with the Lions last season. "He was really good for Matt," Edsall said. "As the backup quarterback, you're standing there on the sideline and you're watching things because you want to help the starting quarterback when he comes off the field. Same thing with preparing during the week. So, technically, he is almost like an assistant coach right now, being the backup quarterback."

Technically, for sure. How about officially? Orlovsky, based in the Philadelphia area in the offseason, wants to play as long as possible and expects to sign a contract in the coming weeks. He also said he never wants to be away from football. Of course, there are complicating factors related to a coaching career. Orlovsky and wife Tiffany have four young children, including triplets born in 2011. "This is probably the only place I'd entertain going to coach college football at," Orlovsky said. "The schedule on coaches is hard, hard on families, and I'm at the age where I want to be around a bunch. But if the opportunity presented itself for me to come here, it would be hard for me to say no."<<

Really good stuff. Like I've said, since it looks like RE 2.0 is on the 3-5 year plan, I would bet the house one of Randy's last moves would be to hire Dan O as QB coach. It just feels right.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Loved Smallwood as a linebacker. Staying his Senior year may have changed his draft status. We'll never know.

I doubt another year under Diaco would have done anything at all to help him. He didn't make a team. Another year in college would not have really meant much, as the talent obviously just isn't auite there. And that's ok. Glad he is getting his degree now.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom