Dan Orlovsky and Yawin Smallwood on Campus as Student Assistants | The Boneyard

Dan Orlovsky and Yawin Smallwood on Campus as Student Assistants

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
remind me why YS left early? I really enjoyed watching him play

Reaction Score
remind me why YS left early? I really enjoyed watching him play

Yawin Smallwood leaving UConn early for NFL Draft

>>After conferring with his parents, Smallwood decided to give up his final season of eligibility at UConn and declare for the NFL Draft. Smallwood made his decision on Friday night and informed his teammates after Saturday’s 45-10 win over Memphis. “The NFL is just a dream. I have been playing this game since I was 7 years old and one thing was on my mind, and that was to get to the next level,” Smallwood said. “I am just happy and excited that I was able to come to the University of Connecticut. These coaches worked their tail off to make sure I developed into a good player.<<

Reaction Score
Clearly a win-win for him. He gets to finish his degree and get his feet wet coaching. Assuming he gets along with the staff (see no reason he wouldn't) I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the QB coach next year since he will have his degree.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Loved Smallwood as a linebacker. Staying his Senior year may have changed his draft status. We'll never know.

Pretty doubtful - good college player. It's not like the coaching staff the next year had the ability to showcase guys.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Yawin hurt his hamstring during the combine. Went from being projected 3-4 round pick to win drafted at the end of the 7th.

Reaction Score
Pretty doubtful - good college player. It's not like the coaching staff the next year had the ability to showcase guys.
Say what you lie about Pasqualoni as a head coach, as a LB coach he is elite.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Smallwood would have played for Diaco had he stayed thought right?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Smallwood blew up in Coach Brown's Defense. The attacking defense that is similar in style to what we will have moving forward- having him helping Wholley and Crocker is another brilliant move by RE.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score

Elite? Maybe if Singletary is still available. The ship has sailed and the sun has set on PP. His best days are long since gone.

Reaction Score

>>It's safe to assume that there aren't many Division I head football coaches labeling one of their student assistant coaches as "the face of the program." In fact, until we hear different, assume that number is one.

Unless, of course, some other program besides UConn has a student assistant coach who has 12 years of NFL experience and owns just about every passing record in the program's history.

Welcome home, Dan Orlovsky.<<

>>"I was sitting in meetings today and you try to give guys tidbits rather than overload them with information," Orlovsky said. "I try to tell them, that hope and slogans and cliches mean nothing if you're not willing to put in the work. The guys who were here who turned this program into something pretty special were willing to work and work and work and we trusted our coaches. We didn't care what had happened before, we were going to carve our own path. And that's my advice to these guys - what has happened the past couple of years doesn't have to be the story. You can write it yourself."<<

Reaction Score
I might be naive and ignorant but I REALLY BELIEVE there is something GOOD going on with the UConn FB program. REv2, now DO going back to school for his degree after 12 NFL years, and a bunch of GREAT staff, change is in the air!!!! After major disappointment in PP and BD, I don't think I could be this enthusiastic again, but I am NOW!!! Hope is eternal!!!!

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score

>>It's safe to assume that there aren't many Division I head football coaches labeling one of their student assistant coaches as "the face of the program." In fact, until we hear different, assume that number is one.

Unless, of course, some other program besides UConn has a student assistant coach who has 12 years of NFL experience and owns just about every passing record in the program's history.

Welcome home, Dan Orlovsky.<<

>>"I was sitting in meetings today and you try to give guys tidbits rather than overload them with information," Orlovsky said. "I try to tell them, that hope and slogans and cliches mean nothing if you're not willing to put in the work. The guys who were here who turned this program into something pretty special were willing to work and work and work and we trusted our coaches. We didn't care what had happened before, we were going to carve our own path. And that's my advice to these guys - what has happened the past couple of years doesn't have to be the story. You can write it yourself."<<

safe to say im about ready to run through a brick wall.... this guy needs on this staff and like yesterday.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I might be naive and ignorant but I REALLY BELIEVE there is something GOOD going on with the UConn FB program. REv2, now DO going back to school for his degree after 12 NFL years, and a bunch of GREAT staff, change is in the air!!!! After major disappointment in PP and BD, I don't think I could be this enthusiastic again, but I am NOW!!! Hope is eternal!!!!
I'm not sure you could get a better scenario - 2 UConn alum who were drafted in the NFL. One guy who stays 4 years and has a long NFL career, the other declared early, ended up out early. It shows the kids that they can get to the next level with hard work, talent and luck. But at the end of the days, these guys come back to their roots in Storrs.

Reaction Score

Nice read by Mike Anthony:

>>"Do I wish I played more? Sure. But it's not like I go, 'Man, if I had done this it would have worked out differently and I would have played more.' I know that I've given it everything I have. I've really taken pride in, and appreciated, the role I've had. Someone asked me if I would ever be a quarterback coach. Well, it's kind of what I've done the last couple years. It's a unique skill, and that's why there's not a lot of us, guys that can play without getting a lot of reps."

One benefit to being a backup: Orlovsky hasn't taken many hits over the years and he remains healthy. Another key to his longevity is continually preparing in advance of games as if he is going to play. Years rolled by and he eventually started being looked up to by those above him in the depth chart. He backed up Matt Stafford with the Lions last season. "He was really good for Matt," Edsall said. "As the backup quarterback, you're standing there on the sideline and you're watching things because you want to help the starting quarterback when he comes off the field. Same thing with preparing during the week. So, technically, he is almost like an assistant coach right now, being the backup quarterback."

Technically, for sure. How about officially? Orlovsky, based in the Philadelphia area in the offseason, wants to play as long as possible and expects to sign a contract in the coming weeks. He also said he never wants to be away from football. Of course, there are complicating factors related to a coaching career. Orlovsky and wife Tiffany have four young children, including triplets born in 2011. "This is probably the only place I'd entertain going to coach college football at," Orlovsky said. "The schedule on coaches is hard, hard on families, and I'm at the age where I want to be around a bunch. But if the opportunity presented itself for me to come here, it would be hard for me to say no."<<

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom