Dan Hurley's deep UConn roster will have players competing for minutes: 'The way it should be' (Mike Anthony) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley's deep UConn roster will have players competing for minutes: 'The way it should be' (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score
As usual when they start playing in the fire (conference games) the pretenders will be exposed. Just saying practice ain't real fire. Got to bring it or wait a year with this deep squad.

This is now his team (recruits) and he's building something big.

Reaction Score
About what exactly? Not sure what you're referring to.
Sounds like he has 4 starters locked in, they are all very good players but if say our starters are Cole, Gaffney, Martin, Whaley, and Sanogo and they're getting the bulk of the minutes I fear the ceiling may not be as high as I thought...

Was hoping to hear a couple of the other guys emerged. I trust in Hurley and he's the one seeing them every day but I think he's shown in the past he tends to go with the guys he knows/trusts the most because he feels like they're a sure thing instead of going to the more talented higher ceiling guys...

I see spacing problems with those 4 locked in, I didn't think Whaley and Sanogo played all that well together as starters last year and we need an alpha to emerge who takes the big shots, it's hard to see that in that group. I was really hoping to hear Jackson, Akok, Hawkins emerged. I think it's likely the guy we'll want taking the big shots is Hawkins even though he's just a freshman.

Reaction Score
Someone will get injured which will free up playing time. Hopefully just one though. UConn deserves some good injury luck for once.

Reaction Score
There’s the line-up that Danny may like but then we need the line-up that can respond with points when the other team inevitably scores - that’s the tension - and this year is a transitional year to a team that can respond with points.

Reaction Score
There’s the line-up that Danny may like but then we need the line-up that can respond with points when the other team inevitably scores - that’s the tension - and this year is a transitional year to a team that can respond with points.
He could simply be 'playing chess' with this squad (and perhaps us), meaning don't believe everything he says. For example, the freshmen may be D1 ready but he may not want them to become complacent if stated to the media. Just saying some coaches are reserve with player comments (i.e. accolades) knowing their personalities and potential reactions.

Reaction Score
Sounds like he has 4 starters locked in, they are all very good players but if say our starters are Cole, Gaffney, Martin, Whaley, and Sanogo and they're getting the bulk of the minutes I fear the ceiling may not be as high as I thought...

Was hoping to hear a couple of the other guys emerged. I trust in Hurley and he's the one seeing them every day but I think he's shown in the past he tends to go with the guys he knows/trusts the most because he feels like they're a sure thing instead of going to the more talented higher ceiling guys...

I see spacing problems with those 4 locked in, I didn't think Whaley and Sanogo played all that well together as starters last year and we need an alpha to emerge who takes the big shots, it's hard to see that in that group. I was really hoping to hear Jackson, Akok, Hawkins emerged. I think it's likely the guy we'll want taking the big shots is Hawkins even though he's just a freshman.
To be fair the one spot not locked in from Hurley's comments is the one that was most likely to have a freshman step up and take (Hawkins at the 2). No idea if that'll happen but it wouldn't shock me, and don't see any way he doesn't take over that spot by January.

I actually feel like Hurley has been pretty quick to give the younger guys minutes when they've earned it. He may not start them right away but I felt like he was always getting them time. Hopefully Akok and Hawkins force his hand to start, if there's one thing we'll have is an incredibly motivated 2nd team when they're on the court

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
He could simply be 'playing chess' with this squad (and perhaps us), meaning don't believe everything he says. For example, the freshmen may be D1 ready but he may not want them to become complacent if stated to the media. Just saying some coaches are reserve with player comments (i.e. accolades) knowing their personalities and potential reactions.
I like this take. It's difficult to envision the staff landing all the 5-star talent they're recruiting if the talented freshman aren't given a shot to prove themselves in games. I imagine guys like Bol Bowen, Simeon Wilcher, and Matas Buzelis will want to see proof that their talent will be given a chance to shine early on. Hopefully Hurley is playing some 3D chess with the media, fanbase and players.

Andre Jackson needs minutes -- that's all I have to say about that.

Reaction Score
I like this take. It's difficult to envision the staff landing all the 5-star talent they're recruiting if the talented freshman aren't given a shot to prove themselves in games. I imagine guys like Bol Bowen, Simeon Wilcher, and Matas Buzelis will want to see proof that their talent will be given a chance to shine early on. Hopefully Hurley is playing some 3D chess with the media, fanbase and players.

Good God. What did Hurley say that makes folks think he's not going to give talented freshmen a shot to prove themselves in games? We haven't even started official practices yet. How in the world do folks expect him to be handing out starting slots based on recruiting rankings, rather than actual production?

Not a sole, including Hurley, knows who is going to be on the court at the start of conference play in a close game. We have experienced players with lower "up sides" than inexperienced players. Before even getting into team chemistry or recovering from an Achilles. We know we have depth of good players. What we don't know is whether we'll have the all conference level players to lead the team. We don't even know who they would be.

But folks worrying because when having to name our best players he names the guys who were our best returning players at the end of last year? Don't folks have anything real to worry about?

Reaction Score

Since Hurley has gotten here these are the minutes the freshman have gotten, not sure there's really any freshman who haven't gotten the minutes they deserved. There may have been individual games where Sanogo or Jackson didn't get utilized correctly but overall freshman have played plenty

Brendan Adams - 12.7
James Bouknight - 25.9
Akok Akok - 28
Jalen Gaffney - 19.2
Richie Springs (Redshirt)
Andre Jackson - 16.1
Adama Sanogo - 17.0

Reaction Score
Since Hurley has gotten here these are the minutes the freshman have gotten, not sure there's really any freshman who haven't gotten the minutes they deserved. There may have been individual games where Sanogo or Jackson didn't get utilized correctly but overall freshman have played plenty

Brendan Adams - 12.7
James Bouknight - 25.9
Akok Akok - 28
Jalen Gaffney - 19.2
Richie Springs (Redshirt)
Andre Jackson - 16.1
Adama Sanogo - 17.0

Hassan Martin - 25.8
EC Matthews - 32.5
Jared Terrell - 27.1
Jarvis Garrett - 25.8
Jeff Dowtin - 22.2
Christion Thompson - 18.1
Fatts Russell - 17.9
Cyril Langevine - 13.2
Nicola Akele - 13.6

Reaction Score

You’re right. Andre does need minutes. Some players need pressure applied externally. Others need to be managed so they don’t burn themselves out. Andre knows where he stands and what he needs to do.

James would have started from day one.

Reaction Score

So Hurley is going with veterans to start as we always knew he would. PT for everyone is about who plays well.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Good God. What did Hurley say that makes folks think he's not going to give talented freshmen a shot to prove themselves in games? We haven't even started official practices yet. How in the world do folks expect him to be handing out starting slots based on recruiting rankings, rather than actual production?

Not a sole, including Hurley, knows who is going to be on the court at the start of conference play in a close game. We have experienced players with lower "up sides" than inexperienced players. Before even getting into team chemistry or recovering from an Achilles. We know we have depth of good players. What we don't know is whether we'll have the all conference level players to lead the team. We don't even know who they would be.

But folks worrying because when having to name our best players he names the guys who were our best returning players at the end of last year? Don't folks have anything real to worry about?
You should take a moment to reread the post I quoted, but you make quality points here.

Reaction Score
Well, don't sleep on Springs

1632529790117.jpeg

No problem. I don’t go anywhere without my
Bob O Pedic!

Reaction Score

I think every good team needs to know who their go to player or player(s) are. Maybe someone knows, but Chief honestly doesn’t, and that concerns me. Depth is nice to have, but without the go to offensively talented stud, depth loses much of its value. I do agree, prior to the season the typical coach thing is to talk about returnees. But, for Chief, I would be very disappointed if Andre hadn’t past Tyres. Again it comes down to putting the ball in the basket and last season neither did it with consistency. From what Chief has seen Hawkins and Johnson may make the jump - sooner than when some might expect.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
To be fair the one spot not locked in from Hurley's comments is the one that was most likely to have a freshman step up and take (Hawkins at the 2). No idea if that'll happen but it wouldn't shock me, and don't see any way he doesn't take over that spot by January.

I actually feel like Hurley has been pretty quick to give the younger guys minutes when they've earned it. He may not start them right away but I felt like he was always getting them time. Hopefully Akok and Hawkins force his hand to start, if there's one thing we'll have is an incredibly motivated 2nd team when they're on the court

Funny, someone else thinks it’s definitely Gaffney and I think it’s gotta be Jackson.

And that’s not a criticism, more pointing out how wide open that spot is and it emphasizes our depth but also lack of a proven “guy”.

Jackson and Hawkins both seem to have star potential but at this stage are completely unproven.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's a definitive statement and yes it looks like Cole, Martin, Whaley and Sanogo are starters.
The quote by Hurley about Akok needing to level up is the quote that stood out to me. Add in comments about Johnson and him competing for third spot on front court and it almost sounds like Akok has plateaued. Or needs a kick in the ass to stay motivated rather than being content.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's what we all expected, or should have. I think Akok can push Whaley to the bench, but he's going to have to go out there and do it in games. Hurley is going to roll with Sanogo and IW as starters, as he should. We all knew Cole was a lock. We should have known Martin is a lock, he's our most complete player and consistently does the right thing. If AJax wants to push Martin to the bench, like Akok, he's going to need to force that with his play. Other than Martin, every guy at the 2-3 has a hole or multiple holes in their game, or in the case of Hawkins, is an unknown at this level. I expect DH will flex those guys around and the guys that bring it at both ends will play. I'd be surprised if Gaffney isn't the SG on opening night.

Martin doesn't consistently do the right thing and has a major hole on his game. He can't finish and is a below average FT shooter.

Reaction Score

most importantly we need 1-2 guys would can hit the three and spread the floor. Whomever does this should play. If we can find those guys our inside-out game should be awesome.

Reaction Score
It's a definitive statement and yes it looks like Cole, Martin, Whaley and Sanogo are starters.
The quote by Hurley about Akok needing to level up is the quote that stood out to me. Add in comments about Johnson and him competing for third spot on front court and it almost sounds like Akok has plateaued. Or needs a kick in the ass to stay motivated rather than being content.
It’s possible Akok has plateaued but from everything we know about his character and drive I don’t think he could possibly need a kick in the ass because of a lack of motivation. He’s not that type of kid imo

Reaction Score
I think ultimately we`ll see RJ, Hawk, Ajax, Whaley and Sanogo as the starting 5 by the time February rolls around. I truly believe Hawk is special and is the next great Uconn guard and Ajax is going to be much better than what we saw last season.

Reaction Score
most importantly we need 1-2 guys would can hit the three and spread the floor. Whomever does this should play. If we can find those guys our inside-out game should be awesome.
I think those two guys will be RJ and Hawk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom