Dan Hurley says bench depth will make or break season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley says bench depth will make or break season

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley says bench depth will make or break season as UConn men’s basketball practices begin for 2023-24

Backdoor

Hurley feels his group is ahead of where it was last year, before it opened the season with 14 straight wins and went onto its dominant NCAA Tournament run.

He sees returners Alex Karaban, Donovan Clingan and Tristen Newton, along with Rutgers transfer Cam Spencer, as players who could average about 14-16 points per game. “It’s gonna have to be sacrifice with that group and a willingness to let it be someone else’s night,” he said.

“This whole season for us is going to come down to the bench. My best teams always have that depth, you saw how fresh we were in March last year because of the depth. I just think that our starting five is going to be as good as anyone’s, it’s ‘can we get the bench?'”

“The way Solo (Ball played) today, Hass (Diarra) was great and has been really good. Samson looks great, Jayden Ross has just been an incredible surprise, he’s so far ahead of where we thought he’d be. J Stu (Jaylin Stewart) is catching up,” he said. “We’ve got the pieces there to potentially put a bench together if those are the guys coming off the bench, but there’s competition for, you know, I think we played nine guys easily last year and even got 10 in at some points, so there’s roles and opportunity there to be won.”

The Huskies, of course, also have McDonald’s All-American Stephon Castle to work into the fold. Castle is likely competing for the fifth starting spot.

“All our freshmen, they’re gonna play for the most part,” Hurley said. “If they’re not a starter they’re gonna have an opportunity to play impact minutes. The freshmen that are playing impact minutes for us, if they’re not starting this year we’re gonna expect them to start as sophomores. … We have a couple freshmen I imagine are going to be in a similar situation like Jordan (Hawkins) and Andre Jackson (when) they were key players as freshmen and then things opened up.”
I said before Diarra presence with the younger second unit will be huge . Having a unit without that experience at PG is a potential nightmare situation. I don’t care how talented freshman are under game pressure having a cool hand to get things grounded avoids panic .
Our starting 5 actually has less questions than last year .
But we had a pretty experienced second unit thanks to the portal and Clingan exceeded expectations.

Reaction Score
rotation predictions anyone?

Newton (25)- Diarra (15)
Spencer (25)- Ball (15)
Castle (25)- Ross (10)- Stewart (5)
Karaban (30)- Stewart (5)- Samson (5)
Clingan (25)- Samson (15)

30: Karaban
25: Newton, Spencer, Castle, Clingan
20: Samson
15: Diarra, Ball
10: Ross, Stewart

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Newton (25)- Diarra (15)
Spencer (25)- Ball (15)

Seems about right. Will vary by game and any of the guys in the 10-15 minute category could either play less or ball out and play more. Also could play more based on matchups, injuries, etc.

Reaction Score
Our starting 5 is probably one of the best in the country. We have two returning national champions, a 5 star one-and-done level talent, a 5th year who led a B10 team in scoring, and a C who is expected to break out into a star

If Samson can provide quality minutes and we get solid contributions from 2-3 of the freshmen off the bench, we'll run back a very dangerous team.
Agreed.

Reaction Score

Newton (25)- Diarra (15)
Spencer (25)- Ball (15)

PG - Newton 25, Castle 5, Diarra 10
SG - Castle 15, Spencer 15, Newton 5, Ball 5
SF - Spencer 15, Castle 5, Ross 10, Ball 10
PF - Karaban 25, Stewart 15
C - Clingan 28, Johnson 12

Probably shorted someone minutes but there's my rough guess. When it gets to conference play and it gets cut to 9 then Diarra is the odd man out

Reaction Score
Nope, a great team. They went undefeated in the nonconference winning every game by double digits.

A great team that had a great tournament run with the largest margin of victory in the 64 team era.
I think of great all time teams as UNLV , Duke, 99/04 UConn but to each his own. This year will be much more difficult as I won’t count on seeing the same final four low seeds making it again. A lot of great college players this year.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
I think of great all time teams as UNLV , Duke, 99/04 UConn but to each his own. This year will be much more difficult as I won’t count on seeing the same final four low seeds making it again. A lot of great college players this year.
I didn’t say all-time great. I said there was a great team. And there was. And actually, now that you mention it, considering the margin of victory, it actually may be all-time great.

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley says bench depth will make or break season as UConn men’s basketball practices begin for 2023-24

Backdoor

Hurley feels his group is ahead of where it was last year, before it opened the season with 14 straight wins and went onto its dominant NCAA Tournament run.

He sees returners Alex Karaban, Donovan Clingan and Tristen Newton, along with Rutgers transfer Cam Spencer, as players who could average about 14-16 points per game. “It’s gonna have to be sacrifice with that group and a willingness to let it be someone else’s night,” he said.

“This whole season for us is going to come down to the bench. My best teams always have that depth, you saw how fresh we were in March last year because of the depth. I just think that our starting five is going to be as good as anyone’s, it’s ‘can we get the bench?'”

“The way Solo (Ball played) today, Hass (Diarra) was great and has been really good. Samson looks great, Jayden Ross has just been an incredible surprise, he’s so far ahead of where we thought he’d be. J Stu (Jaylin Stewart) is catching up,” he said. “We’ve got the pieces there to potentially put a bench together if those are the guys coming off the bench, but there’s competition for, you know, I think we played nine guys easily last year and even got 10 in at some points, so there’s roles and opportunity there to be won.”

The Huskies, of course, also have McDonald’s All-American Stephon Castle to work into the fold. Castle is likely competing for the fifth starting spot.

“All our freshmen, they’re gonna play for the most part,” Hurley said. “If they’re not a starter they’re gonna have an opportunity to play impact minutes. The freshmen that are playing impact minutes for us, if they’re not starting this year we’re gonna expect them to start as sophomores. … We have a couple freshmen I imagine are going to be in a similar situation like Jordan (Hawkins) and Andre Jackson (when) they were key players as freshmen and then things opened up.”
This will be a good team. It might be a great team. A lot needs to right to repeat. Winning the tournament is always a goal but not the only measure of a good or great team. Heck, the most talented team U- CONN ever had was upset in the first round years ago. Any way, this should be a fun year for both hoops teams.

Reaction Score
'04 UConn team lost a bunch too. This team was great...we probably didn't know it at the time but this team was great. It was great, phenomenal, fantastic...

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
More like a great run, big difference. This season will be tougher.
Tougher schedule. Bullseye target for having won the NCAA Title. On the positive side: while we lost a lot off the bench and a couple of starters we also have the immense benefit of experienced and battle tested Clingan, Karaban and Newton. Add what looks to be a sure leader on the floor and clutch shooter in Cam Spencer. These guys are going to put on a clinic for the younger or less experienced Huskies both in practice and games. Their character will be inspirational especially in their work ethic and winning attitude. Perhaps it's just "Boneyard Fever" but I think DH and his great staff can round them into shape for the Big East rockfights and then turn up the motor for the Big Dance. Last year showed us they stood up to every challenge when the bright lights were on. The coaches will remind them of that and the effort it took for every player to contribute. There will be some disappointing moments but there is likely to be more than pleasant surprises as well. Can't wait!

Reaction Score
One concern I have is Clingan's foul rate. Last year it was masked by splitting time with Sanogo. This year, with Sanogo gone he will be relied on for more minutes. I expect that with another year experience his foul rate will improve. It was a luxury to not have big man foul concerns last year.

Reaction Score
Tougher schedule. Bullseye target for having won the NCAA Title. On the positive side: while we lost a lot off the bench and a couple of starters we also have the immense benefit of experienced and battle tested Clingan, Karaban and Newton. Add what looks to be a sure leader on the floor and clutch shooter in Cam Spencer. These guys are going to put on a clinic for the younger or less experienced Huskies both in practice and games. Their character will be inspirational especially in their work ethic and winning attitude. Perhaps it's just "Boneyard Fever" but I think DH and his great staff can round them into shape for the Big East rockfights and then turn up the motor for the Big Dance. Last year showed us they stood up to every challenge when the bright lights were on. The coaches will remind them of that and the effort it took for every player to contribute. There will be some disappointing moments but there is likely to be more than pleasant surprises as well. Can't wait!
Totally agree! Final Four bound!

Reaction Score
Obviously, our bench players can impact winning and season success and Hurley was offering up a cliche, but to be contrary, I'm going to go against the consensus and say Donovan Clingan is what will make or break the season whether the bench steps up or not. If he is off the court with foul trouble, injury, or illness, we are not going to have a better than .500 record vs other top 25 teams even if all the other kids play solidly, (think Gonzaga's chances losing Drew Timme last year). I just don't think there is dominant enough rebounding. (When Vital was the leading rebounder from the guard position, that wasn't optimal). IMO the season only breaks if we don't make the tournament, and it only 'makes' if we advance in the tourney. Based on the starters, I think we're going to make the tourney and advance a round or two even with spotty bench play. From the sweet 16 on, the refs control our fate with the timing of the first 2 fouls on Donovan (think Emeka vs Duke or Caron vs MD). He'll play less in the season, but 30 mpg in the 4-8 specific biggest games, I'll take us vs the field. To me that means Donovan is the 'make or break' factor.

Loved Hurley's extended comments re Solo Ball hitting 11 threes on the first day of practice whether that was an actual number or just delivering the impression he shot well. (Does beg the question as whether we defend the 3 well or step up on a hot shooter;))

For the record, I think the skill position bench freshmen will all make excellent contributions from day 1 and that Singare will be serviceable if he is need for a couple of spot minutes.

Also, for @husky429's satisfaction, I'll admit I was not a Ross or Ball believer watching Peach Jam a year ago, but, seeing Ball in person at Brewster and Ross at Hoophall, I completely changed my mind, and I'm 'all in' since the wintertime.

Reaction Score
Also, for @husky429's satisfaction, I'll admit I was not a Ross or Ball believer watching Peach Jam a year ago, but, seeing Ball in person at Brewster and Ross at Hoophall, I completely changed my mind, and I'm 'all in' since the wintertime.

I thought the same thing at the time, or was at least hesitant. He's a kid who thrives in an offensive system and in a team defense with high effort. Those guys never show out how we'd like them to in AAU. Too disorganized, too many games.

Reaction Score
This will be a good team. It might be a great team. A lot needs to right to repeat. Winning the tournament is always a goal but not the only measure of a good or great team. Heck, the most talented team U- CONN ever had was upset in the first round years ago. Any way, this should be a fun year for both hoops teams.
I don't think I've ever gone into a season with a goal of winning a national championship. Too many things you don't control have to go right. I start a season asking if we have the roster to win the conference, and/or to get to the Final Four. And I think this year's team is more than talented enough that those are both reasonable goals.

But this year's team will need an entirely different chemistry than last year's team had, and some teams develop a great chemistry that makes the whole greater than the sum of its parts and some don't (i.e. Kentucky, University of). We'll have to see what happens.

Reaction Score
Obviously, our bench players can impact winning and season success and Hurley was offering up a cliche, but to be contrary, I'm going to go against the consensus and say Donovan Clingan is what will make or break the season whether the bench steps up or not. If he is off the court with foul trouble, injury, or illness, we are not going to have a better than .500 record vs other top 25 teams even if all the other kids play solidly, (think Gonzaga's chances losing Drew Timme last year). I just don't think there is dominant enough rebounding. (When Vital was the leading rebounder from the guard position, that wasn't optimal). IMO the season only breaks if we don't make the tournament, and it only 'makes' if we advance in the tourney. Based on the starters, I think we're going to make the tourney and advance a round or two even with spotty bench play. From the sweet 16 on, the refs control our fate with the timing of the first 2 fouls on Donovan (think Emeka vs Duke or Caron vs MD). He'll play less in the season, but 30 mpg in the 4-8 specific biggest games, I'll take us vs the field. To me that means Donovan is the 'make or break' factor.

Loved Hurley's extended comments re Solo Ball hitting 11 threes on the first day of practice whether that was an actual number or just delivering the impression he shot well. (Does beg the question as whether we defend the 3 well or step up on a hot shooter;))

For the record, I think the skill position bench freshmen will all make excellent contributions from day 1 and that Singare will be serviceable if he is need for a couple of spot minutes.

I thought the same thing at the time, or was at least hesitant. He's a kid who thrives in an offensive system and in a team defense with high effort. Those guys never show out how we'd like them to in AAU. Too disorganized, too many games.

And this is exactly what makes our staff one of the best if not the best (honestly, THE best from top to bottom) in the country right now. All of them know what we are looking for, and obviously do not worry one iota at what a potential recruits stats are in AAU games. They are looking for certain qualities, and when they see those qualities matched with a high skill level AND the potential for growth that becomes a high-priority recruit for us.
The track record proves this coaching staff is as good as any in the country at identifying, courting and closing on the players that fit into the "Dan Hurley UConn way". I continue to be totally impressed with how this staff handles recruiting. So, when they hand-picked Ross for this last class, I know they saw a young man who can blossom into a great wing player during his time here at UConn.
I eagerly await watching his progression over the next 2 to 3 years.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't think I've ever gone into a season with a goal of winning a national championship. Too many things you don't control have to go right. I start a season asking if we have the roster to win the conference, and/or to get to the Final Four. And I think this year's team is more than talented enough that those are both reasonable goals.

But this year's team will need an entirely different chemistry than last year's team had, and some teams develop a great chemistry that makes the whole greater than the sum of its parts and some don't (i.e. Kentucky, University of). We'll have to see what happens.
I was convinced about the 1998-1999 team. I had a bit of apprehension about the fact that we seemed unable to breakthrough to the final four until that season (and the Gonzaga game felt like an overly cruel form of torture) but there was no time, from before the season began, that I didn't view it as national title or failure. I also never considered failure as a possibility.

I felt the 2003-2004 team would be unstoppable from shortly after Marcus White's shot got stuck on the rim until Emeka hurt his back. As the season progressed I felt we had far too much for anyone to handle and only wavered on it when it looked like the refs wanted to ensure that Duke would beat us.

I felt the 2005-2006 team was going to be our best ever and one of the better NCAA squads ever until the laptop incident but even then I felt the overall talent, with JC's will, we would have been able to overcome anything. I'm still a little pissed off about that one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom