Dan Hurley says bench depth will make or break season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley says bench depth will make or break season

Reaction Score
as long as our bench can play great team defense, we will be in a great position for a deep run. Our 2nd team defense was so disruptive they couldn’t help but to get so many great shots . The body blows came from so many angles. We have so much scoring potential in our starting five this year that the bench won’t have to be relied on to score as much as last year. Just play lock down, disruptive defense and get points off turnovers.

Reaction Score
I didn't really understand that original post. Hurley said he was going to struggle the most out of the freshmen. Then he said he's put in the work and to watch out for him. So was Hurley talking about later in the season he would be better? Seems to be contradictory unless he meant later in the season. That's why I asked the question of when Hurley said that.

Well anyway glad to hear Hurley say now that Ross is way ahead of where they thought he'd be.
Hurley is not telling some guy a freshman is going to struggle regardless of what he actually thinks, I have never heard Hurley talk that way to the public.

Reaction Score
He was talking about out of the 5 projected starters.

Our starting 5 is probably one of the best in the country. We have two returning national champions, a 5 star one-and-done level talent, a 5th year who led a B10 team in scoring, and a C who is expected to break out into a star.
I still have some questions:
1) Who is going to be the muscle guy to fill that role which Adama thrived in?
2). Who is going to be the defensive stopper, to do what Andre did?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The hope:

1. Clingan can be a physical force inside.

2. I don’t think anyone is replacing Andre there. But Steph looked pretty good on defense in Europe. He seemed to have Jeremy Lamb like anticipation skills when it came to getting in passing lanes.

caw

Reaction Score
Agree on Ross - I still maintain he has the highest upside/NBA potential of the whole class; and that's saying a lot considering Mr Castle.

Ross might, he probably has more wing upside of the two because he is a better shooter and might have more bounce. If Castle can show he can play PG in the pros that changes things drastically.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Or how consistent and good they'll be.

Clingan and Karaban were certainly really good and consistent.
DH commentary is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Using as many performing players as possible (9-10) is what propelled them down the stretch and through the tourney last year. Give 100 % all the time; when you need a rest we have more talent to run and wear them down. Come back in refreshed and pick up where you left off. Like a relay race. The race to run the opponent out of the building. Love to see DH light a fire with hope for the bench. Those kids will be chomping at the bit. I was watching some men and women USA track team relay races this summer and it was really exciting. May the opponent's season of dread begin!

Reaction Score
Jackson/Sanogo/Hawkins . . . . . We lost 3 NBA players from last season including 2 Captains (both 3 year players). Jackson of the 3 is irreplaceable to me, mainly for the intangibles and of course his unselfishness. I hope some of the returnees continue his legacy.

Thanks to DH's bench usage last season, those returning are Champions. This season there's a lots of new pieces and roles to work into. So many freshman who we know are 'D1' unpredictable. DH will be challenged but he is capable of meeting it.

Just saying, with our schedule, I expect a bumpy ride until mid-January or mid BE conference. I won't fret if we have early losses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jackson/Sanogo/Hawkins . . . . . We lost 3 NBA players from last season including 2 Captains (both 3 year players). Jackson of the 3 is irreplaceable to me, mainly for the intangibles and of course his unselfishness. I hope some of the returnees continue his legacy.

Thanks to DH's bench usage last season, those returning are Champions. This season there's a lots of new pieces and roles to work into. So many freshman who we know are 'D1' unpredictable. DH will be challenged but he is capable of meeting it.

Just saying, with our schedule, I expect a bumpy ride until mid-January or mid BE conference. I won't fret if we have early losses.
I love Andre as a player, competitor and person. However, Adama is always undervalued. All he does is beat his opponent. In his tenure at UConn, in how many games did his matchup opponent beat him? He had a lot of skills and very quick feet for a guy his size. But, another thing we knew every game was that we had the strongest guy on the court if it got into a physical game. Too often that’s underestimated.

Reaction Score
as long as our bench can play great team defense, we will be in a great position for a deep run. Our 2nd team defense was so disruptive they couldn’t help but to get so many great shots . The body blows came from so many angles. We have so much scoring potential in our starting five this year that the bench won’t have to be relied on to score as much as last year. Just play lock down, disruptive defense and get points off turnovers.
Great comment, if the bench turns UP the defensive pressure when they come in, serious business!!

Reaction Score
If you think Newton, Spencer, and Karaban are more athletic than Ball, Ross, and Samson then go for it.

I'm not saying that at all. What you said basically stated we are running out a starting group with no athleticism and no motor...I don't think that's what you meant when you typed it, but that's how it would be interpreted...

Reaction Score
AJ had a totally unique skill set. You’re not even looking for someone with that skill set on that level. You replace him with the best basketball player you can and find another way to win.

Having said that, Diarra will be counted on to shut down an opponents point who is giving us trouble, and Clingan will be counted on to protect the rim against everyone. And it may be that we don’t try to be quite as good defensively, but try to be better offensively (and eliminate the month where we played 4 on 5 because no one guarded AJ and we hadn’t figured out how to make teams pay for that).

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Pure speculation on my part but it's possible that what Hurley was alluding to in regards to Ross (vs Castle, Ball & Stewart) was that (at least what I had seen from film on all four) was that he wasn't as physically developed as the other three (Ross did have a HS kid's physique, the other three looked like grown ass men).

I know we have considerable, immediate expectations for Castle. While we may not see it early in their careers, I have a feeling each of the other three over their careers here will exceed our expectations.

Reaction Score
Lower probability that our bench will be ready to contribute as well as last years did. Calcaterra, Alleyne we’re proven college experienced upperclassmen. Clingan was sensational. Ross, Stewart, and Ball may have more talent than last years bench, but they are freshmen……and I doubt Johnson can match Clingans impact last year.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Ross might, he probably has more wing upside of the two because he is a better shooter and might have more bounce. If Castle can show he can play PG in the pros that changes things drastically.
I love Ross (said in his first commitment thread that the staff found a steal/diamond in the rough with NBA potential), but Clingan and Castle have all star potential.

Maybe even Solo too.

I don’t see a reason Castle won’t be able to play PG. The skills and IQ is there to be one.

I also love how great this freshman class is where we can have these kind of conversations because our diamond in the rough can turn out to be that good where we compare him to a top 10 guy.

Reaction Score
Nice comments but DH is often positive early and less positive post season. But these comments seem super positive. Looking forward to seeing the team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'll hold any temptation to put Samson in any role until he has played at least 10 games.
He's an injury waiting to happen

Reaction Score
AJ had a totally unique skill set. You’re not even looking for someone with that skill set on that level. You replace him with the best basketball player you can and find another way to win.

Having said that, Diarra will be counted on to shut down an opponents point who is giving us trouble, and Clingan will be counted on to protect the rim against everyone. And it may be that we don’t try to be quite as good defensively, but try to be better offensively (and eliminate the month where we played 4 on 5 because no one guarded AJ and we hadn’t figured out how to make teams pay for that).
Hassan needs to improve his foul shooting to stay on the court late in close games, especially since the PG so often had the ball.
Having said that he has a great personality within the team to lead and Jim Calhoun likes him, which gets my attention. He instantly speeds up both the defensive pace and fast break mentality of the team.

Reaction Score
He sees returners Alex Karaban, Donovan Clingan and Tristen Newton, along with Rutgers transfer Cam Spencer, as players who could average about 14-16 points per game.
Castle is likely competing for the fifth starting spot.
first quote doesnt mention castle among potential leading scorers.
second quote makes it seem like a different frosh might even beat him out for the last starting spot...my money would be on ball.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
second quote makes it seem like a different frosh might even beat him out for the last starting spot...my money would be on ball.
Either one would make a great first off the bench shot in the arm. In the end though it's about minutes. They either play their way into minutes or out of minutes. Effort to DH standards and performance dictate. It's great to have talented depth even if many are young. They're going to have to be hungry if they want to play.

Reaction Score
Castle will start. This is a preseason coaching tactic used by the best of them. Now, at a minimum of 2 players are more motivated, at least that's the plan.

Reaction Score
Any hesitancy about Ross was due to his size. Compared to Ball and Stewart (and Castle), his body wasn’t as physically ready for the college game. But there is absolutely a role for an energy shot maker with the second unit. Kick out target, corner 3 guy, run the slots on fast breaks, ect and he seems to be filling that role. Just don’t expect him to be driving into guys chests looking for contact.

Reaction Score
Lower probability that our bench will be ready to contribute as well as last years did. Calcaterra, Alleyne we’re proven college experienced upperclassmen. Clingan was sensational. Ross, Stewart, and Ball may have more talent than last years bench, but they are freshmen……and I doubt Johnson can match Clingans impact last year.

Seems kinda silly to think that everyone will outperform expectations. I'd bank on 1 or 2.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom