Dan Hurley returns to coaching UConn men following spinal surgery: ‘One of the toughest summers I’ve had in a long time.’ (Amore) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley returns to coaching UConn men following spinal surgery: ‘One of the toughest summers I’ve had in a long time.’ (Amore)

Reaction Score
...and about a 10% chance of long-term swallowing difficulties, per my brief research on the topic during my time at the Boston VA. Depends on how many levels and whether or not instrumentation is involved in stabilization, but I see it alllll the time where people can’t eat things like pizza or take whole pills anymore. Doesn’t matter how great a job the surgeon does. And that plate will always be there; you can’t rehab it out of the way

Yup... anytime you play in that area - coincidental trauma is always in the picture. I actually ran into a Zimmer Biomet rep today and we shot the bull about their instrumentation in a Hurley type scenario. The devices they (and all these companies) produce is bionic man world.

Reaction Score
Yup... anytime you play in that area - coincidental trauma is always in the picture. I actually ran into a Zimmer Biomet rep today and we shot the bull about their instrumentation in a Hurley type scenario. The devices they (and all these companies) produce is bionic man world.
Not even trauma, although yes, there is always risk of them nicking a nerve leaving swallowing musculature primarily weak; but really, it’s the plating itself that can cause significant issues either with epiglottic inversion, pharyngeal peristalsis, the opening of the upper esophageal sphincter, or a combination

Reaction Score
I have expertise in this area and I've never heard of spinal impingement affecting cellular metabolism; and a Pubmed search turns up nothing. Really, it's nonsense. ATP production is regulated primarily on a cellular level, cells are largely independent of the brain, so nerve communications aren't going to impact ATP. Nerve damage can impact metabolism, e.g. digestion, blood pressure, and such. There's no need to exaggerate, spinal cord damage in the neck is very serious.

Hmm I’m not going to pretend like I know more than you bc you prob know a lot more than I do. I haven’t studied a whole lot of cell physiology so I’m weak there too. But I’m also not here to play “Chief” or any of that like the rocktheworld suspected so let it be known my intention isn’t to act like I have more expertise than I actually do.

Anyway, I’ll link a study I found below and you can tell me what you think. I messaged my professor to see if she has any better studies linking what I claimed. But simply put, I don’t think any physiological process regulates its self without input from the brain and CNS whether direct or indirect. Right?

Reaction Score
I’m a medical speech therapist and, like you, know the spine much more than a lay person. This is the first time I’ve heard of an impingement dysregulating ATP. Glad to hear you’re not doing a @Chief00 impression and have some legitimate foundation of knowledge, probably more than me; care to expound on this phenomenon?

A decrease in neuron and skeletal muscle mitochondrial function is observed in a number of disease and injury states including CNS trauma, neurodegenerative disease, type II diabetes and obesity[1-3]. H
“However, indirect evidence of mitochondrial function using near-infrared resonance spectroscopy to measure tissue oxygenation revealed that muscle oxidative capacity was decreased 50%-60% in participants with SCI 2.7-22 years after injury compared to AB controls[53].”

I linked the study above in a reply to PJ. Anyway, I’m not here to flex my brain muscle, you guys seem to have a lot of knowledge so I don’t want to act like I know stuff you don’t. I may be misunderstanding something about cellular function bc I’m weak there but my logic is spinal cord injury affects nerve transmission to peripheral systems which ultimately affects Cell function down the line. Simple but makes sense to me... is my line of thinking off base?

pj

Reaction Score
Hmm I’m not going to pretend like I know more than you bc you prob know a lot more than I do. I haven’t studied a whole lot of cell physiology so I’m weak there too. But I’m also not here to play “Chief” or any of that like the rocktheworld suspected so let it be known my intention isn’t to act like I have more expertise than I actually do.

Anyway, I’ll link a study I found below and you can tell me what you think. I messaged my professor to see if she has any better studies linking what I claimed. But simply put, I don’t think any physiological process regulates its self without input from the brain and CNS whether direct or indirect. Right?

Hi Shine, the paper is fairly on point. The basic process it describes is that after spinal cord injury, it's common to get muscle degeneration and atrophy. Muscle is a significant contributor to metabolic regulation, because it is an important sink for excess calories. After a meal, for example, skeletal muscle takes up a lot of calories from blood, then releases calories back when you fast. If you lose muscle, you lose that metabolic regulation. Without adequate muscle, the surge in calories in the bloodstream after meals may be hard for the body to dispose of. When other cell types are exposed to an excess of macronutrients, they generate excessive oxidative stress, which can lead to mitochondrial and DNA damage, and ultimately to diabetes.

But ATP levels are not affected -- in fact it is an excess of ATP in the cells that drives the damage. I think the confusion is the idea that spinal cord injury directly impacts ATP or mitochondria. No, it's an indirect effect through the degeneration of muscle and other tissue.

Reaction Score
Hi Shine, the paper is fairly on point. The basic process it describes is that after spinal cord injury, it's common to get muscle degeneration and atrophy. Muscle is a significant contributor to metabolic regulation, because it is an important sink for excess calories. After a meal, for example, skeletal muscle takes up a lot of calories from blood, then releases calories back when you fast. If you lose muscle, you lose that metabolic regulation. Without adequate muscle, the surge in calories in the bloodstream after meals may be hard for the body to dispose of. When other cell types are exposed to an excess of macronutrients, they generate excessive oxidative stress, which can lead to mitochondrial and DNA damage, and ultimately to diabetes.

But ATP levels are not affected -- in fact it is an excess of ATP in the cells that drives the damage. I think the confusion is the idea that spinal cord injury directly impacts ATP or mitochondria. No, it's an indirect effect through the degeneration of muscle and other tissue.

Got it, thank you, and furthermore thank you for not poking fun at me for not understanding fully. Unfortunately I’ve had to deal w a lot of that in my life and was almost held back in school going back to grade 1.
My story is quite crazy as academically I have struggled and really by a stroke of shear luck got into the one chiropractic school that would accept me.
My passion to help is there but I don’t come from an academic family or from an extensive medical background.
But I’m learning a lot and I’m proud to say I’m 1 year from graduating and I understand a lot more about the body than I ever imagined I would in my lifetime.
Maybe not to the level of all my peers but I also have a drive that many of them don’t have and happen to be a hell of a good adjuster. Kinesthetic learning and sports were always my thing.
Thanks again for being kind

Reaction Score

Don’t take that personally, that wasn’t a slight on you. Chief is our resident charlatan; I did have a feeling that you weren’t just BSing. Was really just joking. Genuinely was interested in what you had to say about that apparent phenomenon.

Reaction Score
My bulging disc impinged/bulged into my spinal cord. Pinched off like 20%. The mri shows a bulge into the space. That can get worse I guess. Was told if I had an accident or lost feeling with a burning pain run don’t walk into the surgery. When the space between discs ruptured that disc can ooze like a blown out jelly donut and if it goes back the space is the cord. Here’s me. View attachment 46456
Ouch. I've had back pain for a past month or so. 2 weeks were really bad after a round of golf. I'm afraid to go to the doctors to tell me I have to quit playing golf.

Before everyone starts posting their MRI's, let's say that I have a feeling that @RichZ will win hands down if it ever came to that.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Before everyone starts posting their MRI's, let's say that I have a feeling that @RichZ will win hands down if it ever came to that.
You know how every time you go to a new doctor they give you a form to fill out with your medical and surgical history? I just hand 'em the 2 page spread sheet and tell 'em to staple it to the form.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom