Dan Hurley returns to coaching UConn men following spinal surgery: ‘One of the toughest summers I’ve had in a long time.’ (Amore) | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley returns to coaching UConn men following spinal surgery: ‘One of the toughest summers I’ve had in a long time.’ (Amore)

Reaction Score
I was gonna dump it into the Hurley -Athletic article thread but figured it would percolate up anyways (if a mod wants to combine into one - no issues)

Alternate access link

>>After getting second and third opinions, Hurley scheduled the surgery, told his players he would be out for a couple of weeks, and filled in recruits on what would be happening. Dr. Roger Hartl performed the three-hour procedure, which involved an incision in the front of Hurley’s neck to get at the spine, on Sept. 6 in New York, at the Weill Cornell Medical Center for Comprehensive Spine Care. There were no complications, and Hurley woke up free of symptoms. “I was very grateful, and joyful,” he said.<<

>>Hurley will be able to host visits from recruits, and get out to see some of them locally — his recruiting emphasis in on the East Coast anyway. He will be fully recovered, “my usual self,” he said, by mid-October, by which point he’ll be able to fly. He believes missing a the first couple of weeks of this recruiting period will have no impact on efforts to land 2020 and 21 recruits.

“We’ve work so hard to develop relationships," Hurley said, "and put ourselves in situations with recruits that they understood my situation. I spoke with all of them week before. The staff has worked really hard. We planned accordingly as to how we were going to structure official visits and it’s had no impact at all because of the work we put in prior, and relationships we built.”<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any Docs here who can fill us in on what the heck happened here medically. It sounds crazy you can have a herniated disk and then be told a surgery needs to be performed right away or you could be paralyzed...Like everything with Hurley he's using this as a way to make him a more grateful/stronger/clearer focused/spiritually connected guy. He's a tough Irish SOB like Calhoun, glad his health is restored...Now get us some recruits Dannyboy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Good for DH. Spinal surgery scares the living daylights out of me. I've been putting it off for 25 years and intend on putting it off for another 25 if I'm fortunate enough, although my issue is more like JC's with stenosis in lower back than DH's in the neck.

Doesn't sound like he'll have any lasting effects into the season, so all the sideline stomping, gyrations and other physical demonstrations should be in top form.

Any Docs here who can fill us in on what the heck happened here medically. It sounds crazy you can have a herniated disk and then be told a surgery needs to be performed right away or you could be paralyzed...

Not a doctor, but as I've been there, I can tell what was explained to me, although my issue was lower back, not neck. Had a traumatic football injury at 13 when spinal medicine science was the dark ages. While I missed two years of sports, things normalized more or less, but there was ongoing disk and bone degeneration. In my late 30s my lower back basically just exploded, two ruptured discs, essentially bedridden.

Three sports docs told me I was running the risk of becoming a paraplegic w/o an operation - but it was basically the same tiny percentage that DH's docs were talking about - "you fall down the wrong way, you get rear-ended in your car, something unexpected happens and boom, wheelchair". Kind of like when Matthew Modine was telling LT the risks in "Any Given Sunday". Odds are really good it won't happen, but there's a tiny chance it could if your spine is twisted just the exact right way.

Then again, if you had a perfectly healthy spine, that could happen to you anyway. However, due to inflammation and compromised joint protection, your odds might double or triple from the miniscule chance of it happening. It's still a tiny % - I think the article said DH's docs gave it a 1% chance.

So if you're really scared of that, you choose the knife. I didn't, choosing PT instead. And it worked until this year, about 25 years since the last major incident. I have bone spurs, arthritis, disc degeneration and three areas of stenosis, one of which is advanced. This last time was so bad I eventually had to get an epidural nerve blocker just to be able to do PT exercises. I honestly don't know how JC showed up to any game if his pain was as bad as mine. God bless that warrior.

Anyway, point is the risk was minimal, but DH chose to eliminate even that tiny risk.

Last edited:

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
My bulging disc impinged/bulged into my spinal cord. Pinched off like 20%. The mri shows a bulge into the space. That can get worse I guess. Was told if I had an accident or lost feeling with a burning pain run don’t walk into the surgery. When the space between discs ruptured that disc can ooze like a blown out jelly donut and if it goes back the space is the cord. Here’s me.
FB86EF3D-7878-400B-84D5-B24B840797ED.jpeg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Ouch. That's gotta hurt.

Now I'm feeling the desire to upload my entire MRI. But I won't :)

Reaction Score
With coach on the shelf and at a time of vulnerability, all the vultures swooped in on many of our targets, sensing weakness. This is why it has been very quiet for the good guys and rumors of traction gained by others. But it appears that DH and staff had this well planned, all their i's dotted and t's crossed in terms of planning and communication with recruits. From other threads it looks like people are ready hit the panic button on 2020 recruiting. It's not time for that yet. The next month will be telling. Let Dan and staff get back to work. I sense good things on the horizon. Trust the process. Grind.

Reaction Score
I had stenosis surgery at L5S1 eight years ago. It helped but did nothing for the 3 blown discs. I have pain still, and there are no more opiods. I believe my discs have degenerated to the point that they are no longer impinging on the nerves because I can get by with PT, ibuprophen and tylenol. I'm also a lot older than Hurley. I wish him well.

Reaction Score
Any Docs here who can fill us in on what the heck happened here medically. It sounds crazy you can have a herniated disk and then be told a surgery needs to be performed right away or you could be paralyzed...Like everything with Hurley he's using this as a way to make him a more grateful/stronger/clearer focused/spiritually connected guy. He's a tough Irish SOB like Calhoun, glad his health is restored...Now get us some recruits Dannyboy.

He likely had cervical spinal stenosis causing myelopathy (spinal cord compression).

Herniated discs in the neck are different then those in the low back. In the lumber spine, a herniated disc typically cause compression of nerve roots (sciatica or weakness in one extremity).

In the neck, a herniated disc can also cause compression of a nerve root if it herniates off to one side. However, if it herniates into the center of the canal its compressing against the actual entire spinal cord. It appears that happened in consecutive cervical levels for Hurley.

So if any of us get into a car accident or fall down there is enough space in our cervical spine for our spinal cord. For him, not so much.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Hmmm, so Hurley:

1) Had multiple doctor's visits
2) Told recruits!

...and the entire Horde got scooped on this by the Athletic, who doesn't have a dedicated reporter for UConn?

Reaction Score
Hmmm, so Hurley:

1) Had multiple doctor's visits
2) Told recruits!

...and the entire Horde got scooped on this by the Athletic, who doesn't have a dedicated reporter for UConn?
We've been getting a lot more press in The Athletic since Hurley took over. Have to wonder if he knows people there and gives them first scoop?

Reaction Score
He likely had cervical spinal stenosis causing myelopathy (spinal cord compression).

Herniated discs in the neck are different then those in the low back. In the lumber spine, a herniated disc typically cause compression of nerve roots (sciatica or weakness in one extremity).

In the neck, a herniated disc can also cause compression of a nerve root if it herniates off to one side. However, if it herniates into the center of the canal its compressing against the actual entire spinal cord. It appears that happened in consecutive cervical levels for Hurley.

So if any of us get into a car accident or fall down there is enough space in our cervical spine for our spinal cord. For him, not so much.
This is accurate. I’m a studying to be chiropractor and based on his symptoms, I briefly read it, sounds like it was lower cervical issue if he had tingling and numbness into his hands. I posted in the Andrew Luck thread about this as I have had similar issues with my neck from football.

I love what he said about how it has reinforced his purpose and his “why”. It’s a lot of suffering and for me it gave me a very clear spiritual purpose and path to follow. Which is to heal others. A blessing in disguise. We have a very strong coach with a strong mind leading our team guys. Not many would get up so quickly after a “fall” like that.

I have full faith that he is going to turn this ship around. He’s got a fire instilled in him, which probably comes from his dad, that a lot of people just don’t have. So excited to see how his attitude translates to our team this season.

Reaction Score
Any kind of nerve interference to the CNS is going to cause an increase in pressure, nerve transmission impairment and the part that many don’t realize is the altered ATP production which is needed for energy and cellular function. Neck problems do more than just cause pressure and pain. They can be related to an entire host of “strange” symptoms that can leave a person very debilitated. It truly is a battle and I truly understand that he needed time off.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I'm not a physician but I went through something similar last year after I biked around Lake Tahoe. Herniated disc at C5/C6 causing numbness/tingling in my right hand. Went to three neurosurgeons who all had different perspectives, but surgery was looking like a likely option after time and PT failed to help. The next step was to get a cortisone injection in my neck, which typically lasts just 2-3 months (if at all) but fortunately that gave my disc enough time to heal and stop pinching the nerve -- my pain hasn't recurred (yet).

A few things here. Hurley had a two-level CDR -- cervical disc replacement surgery. That means that he had two discs replaced. The artificial discs are relatively new -- they've been used in Europe for the last 20 years or so, and in America for closer to 7-8 if I recall correctly. They don't know the longevity as a result but suspect they'll have to be replaced with another surgery in 20-25 years. Two-level is obviously more severe than one-level, where they just replace a single disc.

Peyton Manning had something similar in 2011, in his C3. This was before CDR was a thing in America so he had two cervical discs fused together, slightly impacting neck extension. My pain doc mentioned that he had his MVP year the following year :) This has affected a ton of NFL players, like Quincy Enunwa and Bilal Powell.

The benefit of the artificial disc is that he shouldn't have any neck mobility issues. He'll have a nice 1-1.5 inch scar on the front of his neck though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
the part that many don’t realize is the altered ATP production which is needed for energy and cellular function.
Do you actually know what you’re talking about here? I’d love to learn more about this.

Reaction Score
Do you actually know what you’re talking about here? I’d love to learn more about this.

I study the spine for a living, so yes to a degree, but I’m not a neurosurgeon like the man that Dan Hurley went to so I wouldn’t say I’m in the upper tier of nervous system knowledge. Definitely know more about the spine and nervous system than most though. Chiropractors study a lot more neurology than your average family physician which should be the case since that’s the system we effect the most. An MD will study more chemistry and other physiological processes than us though. Any questions spine or neurology related you can DM me.

Reaction Score
I study the spine for a living, so yes to a degree, but I’m not a neurosurgeon like the man that Dan Hurley went to so I wouldn’t say I’m in the upper tier of nervous system knowledge. Definitely know more about the spine and nervous system than most though. Chiropractors study a lot more neurology than your average family physician which should be the case since that’s the system we effect the most. An MD will study more chemistry and other physiological processes than us though. Any questions spine or neurology related you can DM me.
I’m a medical speech therapist and, like you, know the spine much more than a lay person. This is the first time I’ve heard of an impingement dysregulating ATP. Glad to hear you’re not doing a @Chief00 impression and have some legitimate foundation of knowledge, probably more than me; care to expound on this phenomenon?

pj

Reaction Score
I have expertise in this area and I've never heard of spinal impingement affecting cellular metabolism; and a Pubmed search turns up nothing. Really, it's nonsense. ATP production is regulated primarily on a cellular level, cells are largely independent of the brain, so nerve communications aren't going to impact ATP. Nerve damage can impact metabolism, e.g. digestion, blood pressure, and such. There's no need to exaggerate, spinal cord damage in the neck is very serious.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not a physician but I went through something similar last year after I biked around Lake Tahoe. Herniated disc at C5/C6 causing numbness/tingling in my right hand. Went to three neurosurgeons who all had different perspectives, but surgery was looking like a likely option after time and PT failed to help. The next step was to get a cortisone injection in my neck, which typically lasts just 2-3 months (if at all) but fortunately that gave my disc enough time to heal and stop pinching the nerve -- my pain hasn't recurred (yet).

A few things here. Hurley had a two-level CDR -- cervical disc replacement surgery. That means that he had two discs replaced. The artificial discs are relatively new -- they've been used in Europe for the last 20 years or so, and in America for closer to 7-8 if I recall correctly. They don't know the longevity as a result but think suspect they'll have to be replaced with another surgery in 20-25 years. Two-level is obviously more severe than one-level, where they just replace a single disc.

Peyton Manning had something similar in 2011, in his C3. This was before CDR was a thing in America so he had two cervical discs fused together, slightly impacting neck extension. My pain doc mentioned that he had his MVP year the following year :) This has affected a ton of NFL players, like Quincy Enunwa and Bilal Powell.

The benefit of the artificial disc is that he shouldn't have any neck mobility issues. He'll have a nice 1-1.5 inch scar on the front of his neck though.
Why the front? I'd think the back of the neck would the logical place for the incision.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why the front? I'd the the back of the neck would the logical place for the incision.
Anterior approach has better anatomy access and shorter length of hospital stay.

(Video w/ no blood ;))

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have expertise in this area and I've never heard of spinal impingement affecting cellular metabolism; and a Pubmed search turns up nothing. Really, it's nonsense. ATP production is regulated primarily on a cellular level, cells are largely independent of the brain, so nerve communications aren't going to impact ATP. Nerve damage can impact metabolism, e.g. digestion, blood pressure, and such. There's no need to exaggerate, spinal cord damage in the neck is very serious.
Yeah that’s what I figured

Reaction Score
Why the front? I'd think the back of the neck would the logical place for the incision.
Depends on what they want to do, where on the vertebrae they want to work, and how they want to stabilize with instrumentation.

Anterior approach has better anatomy access and shorter length of hospital stay.

(Video w/ no blood ;))
...and about a 10% chance of long-term swallowing difficulties, per my brief research on the topic during my time at the Boston VA. Depends on how many levels and whether or not instrumentation is involved in stabilization, but I see it alllll the time where people can’t eat things like pizza or take whole pills anymore. Doesn’t matter how great a job the surgeon does. And that plate will always be there; you can’t rehab it out of the way

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
What they said. The move from the back is called Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy but it is limited by anatomy. The vertebrae get in the way. Meaning you can create more room for the nerve root but you don't have space to replace the problematic disc(s).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom