Dan Hurley On Coaching In The NBA: “That Would Be My Goal” | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley On Coaching In The NBA: “That Would Be My Goal”

Reaction Score
For context:

Indeed, when he was introduced in Cleveland, Beilein expressed his desire to coach basketball without the constraints of the college game. That leads one to wonder if Hurley, 46, despite his family’s long association with high school and college basketball, harbors similar NBA aspirations.

“That would be my goal,” said Hurley, starting his second season at UConn, where his contract run through 2024. “I would love to win a couple of championships, get UConn back on top of the mountain. I think in the long term, you have to have goals. You have to have things you continue to drive and reach for. I want to be a championship level coach here and someday, down the road, that’s something I’d think about.”

Reaction Score
For context:

Indeed, when he was introduced in Cleveland, Beilein expressed his desire to coach basketball without the constraints of the college game. That leads one to wonder if Hurley, 46, despite his family’s long association with high school and college basketball, harbors similar NBA aspirations.

“That would be my goal,” said Hurley, starting his second season at UConn, where his contract run through 2024. “I would love to win a couple of championships, get UConn back on top of the mountain. I think in the long term, you have to have goals. You have to have things you continue to drive and reach for. I want to be a championship level coach here and someday, down the road, that’s something I’d think about.”
Thank you for providing the context that got me off of the ledge.

Reaction Score
NBA shuffles thru coaches way too much, unless you go to a contending team it’s likely a step back for your career.
Step back? No way. There's only 30 NBA head coaching jobs, it's an elite level. If you prove yourself a decent coach and get fired, it's really not a detriment to your career. Even guys who made a fool of themselves at the NBA level (Calipari, Pitino) returned to high level college basketball with no issues. If the OKC Thunder fire Billy Donovan he can take his pick of college jobs. I'm sure he'd be a top candidate for good NBA positions too.

Plus, those guys get ludicrous fully-guaranteed contracts. Look at Fred Hoiberg - made the leap to a mediocre Bulls team for 5 yrs/25 million a couple years ago. Got fired this year after ownership decided to tank. He still gets paid, and now he's right back to high major college basketball at Nebraska.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Hopefully better shape than the last time we had a coach getting NBA offers
We had just won a national championship and had an incoming top 10 recruiting class the last time we had a coach get NBA offers.

Reaction Score
NBA shuffles thru coaches way too much, unless you go to a contending team it’s likely a step back for your career.
This is how I feel as well. NBA jobs dont have much security. Even if you go to a loaded team, you better hope the star player/players like you a lot or else they will run you out of town real quick.

PS. Hurley is a northeast guy, and I would be very very worried if the Knicks, Nets, Celtics, or 76ers ever went after him.

Reaction Score
Hopefully better shape than the last time we had a coach getting NBA offers

Why we won a national championship when he was receiving offers? After that they weren't offering.

Reaction Score
Do you remember the short lived good old days with Kevin Ollie? This was a recruiting weapon against us.
And we got Adams and Enoch the first year after, and the #6 class the one after that. Recruiting wasn’t what hurt him, coaching was.

Hurley becoming a serious candidate for the NBA would mean good things have happened here, which we are pretty desperate for. Hopefully we do get to that point.

Reaction Score
And we got Adams and Enoch the first year after, and the #6 class the one after that. Recruiting wasn’t what hurt him, coaching was.

Hurley becoming a serious candidate for the NBA would mean good things have happened here, which we are pretty desperate for. Hopefully we do get to that point.
I like your take much more.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Being a big time college coach seems like a better and more high profile gig than big time NBA coach, no?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom