Dan Hurley Interview | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley Interview

Reaction Score
A couple things really stood out to me: interior passing and enthusiasm.
First was when a player drove inside and passed to an open man (Carlton) rather than forcing a shot against a defender.
The other was the enthusiasm when Carlton took the dump off pass and tossed in a short shot. The players swarmed him. Not much of that last year.
I saw more interior passing in that video than the last two seasons together

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
A couple things really stood out to me: interior passing and enthusiasm.
First was when a player drove inside and passed to an open man (Carlton) rather than forcing a shot against a defender.
The other was the enthusiasm when Carlton took the dump off pass and tossed in a short shot. The players swarmed him. Not much of that last year.
If Carlton gets his body right he could have NBA potential. He has great feel for the game.

Reaction Score
If Carlton gets his body right he could have NBA potential. He has great feel for the game.

He has a lot to overcome. Limited shooting ability, lack of natural athleticism, abd he's really more like 6'9.

One of the reasons why I like him is bc he's a classic 4-year college big. Skilled, but just doesn't have the ability to bang and shoot at the NBA level. Doesnt mean he wont eat in college though

He might carve out a role as a 2nd-string big man a la Aron Baynes some day.

Reaction Score
I like the idea a Hurley Bowl! I bet they go nuts in that rivalry and follow the games up with a huge family dinner.
Well we’ve already had the ConFLiCT so might as well do this

Reaction Score
From this video & some of the others, I’m PRAYING AG can stay healthy. Even if he only makes small cameos, dude just seems like an alpha & a natural leader. Between the vids of him leading the chants & then this one, being engaged and kinda talking the team through the play when the coaches are passing the ball around the perimeter

Reaction Score
Gilbert is a leader and he is respected. If he’s healthy, he’ll play a huge role. He doesn’t need to overcome anything but his injury. He’s definitely an alpha and the only McD’a All American on the roster. He carries a big stick in that group. Just has to be able to play and they’ll fall in right behind him.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Whys that? Because hes not blowing sunshine up his players asses?

The statement says "I don't want to play my brother until I have more talent on the team". That could be taken as an insult or a challenge.
I "wondered" about it. I didn't criticise it. Somehow you got a hair across your butt?

pj

Reaction Score
The statement says "I don't want to play my brother until I have more talent on the team". That could be taken as an insult or a challenge.
I "wondered" about it. I didn't criticise it. Somehow you got a hair across your butt?

No, this year's schedule is already fixed so he's not saying anything about this year's team. The earliest possible date he could schedule his brother would be in the 2019-20 season. We have at least 5 open scholarships next year and are losing our best player to graduation. Hurley's statement says "I don't want to schedule my brother until I have more talent signed for the team that would be playing him." That could be in place as soon as the November signing period.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He has a lot to overcome. Limited shooting ability, lack of natural athleticism, abd he's really more like 6'9.

One of the reasons why I like him is bc he's a classic 4-year college big. Skilled, but just doesn't have the ability to bang and shoot at the NBA level. Doesnt mean he wont eat in college though

He might carve out a role as a 2nd-string big man a la Aron Baynes some day.
He has a more offensive IQ than AO. If he can become a bully under the basket and rebound like AO did we will be very well off

Reaction Score
A lot of coaches say "I want to play up tempo," but it never actually happens. Ollie being one of MANY examples.

One thing I love about Hurley is that he trusts his players enough to actually play up tempo. That is HARD as a coach to give up some control. But when you have players like Jalen and Alterique who are ultra-skilled in transition making decisions, you have to let them run. Love it.

We very well may go 10 deep this year. Gonna be fun to watch, even if (as I expect) the season won't be great. I just am excited to see a team that works like heck, competes no matter what, and actually enjoy the games.
Remember the days when Uconn ran the nation's top fast break. If the other team scored, Uconn had the ball out to half-court before the other team could even comprehend what was happening. Miss those days.

Reaction Score
He should have left the “fully loaded” part out.
I think all he meant was that he won't play Arizona State until he knows who his players will be. With multiple openings that he is recruiting for, he does not want to schedule his brother until he knows who is likely to be on the team. It is not a reflection on his current players, as it would be impossible to schedule his brother for a game with the current team. Presumably, some of todays players will be on the team that plays Arizona State.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Carlton looked really intimidating in HS with that 70s fro. He should go back to it.

Reaction Score
No. I think my comment came across a lot more abrasive than i intended it to be. Or maybe youre just a sensitive little snowflake?;)

Reaction Score
I think Hurley's concern is we should be good this year, but with Jalen leaving and if 2019 recruiting doesn't go well, we could be quite weak. He wants to get a solid recruiting class in. If something like Cockburn, Achiuwa, Delaire, Gaffney, Bouknight commits, I'm sure he'd be eager to schedule.
IF all of those guys commit, followed by another good class, we will be back to kicking butt on a national basis. I would love to see Kentucky on the schedule, but they are afraid of us. They have not fared well against Uconn over the years. But of course, none of them have commited yet so we just got to wait and see.

Reaction Score
I agree. I was impressed by Carlton, considering he was a freshman and still has his baby fat. The guy would catch the ball down low and NOT put it on the floor. Something our recent bigs were not able to comprehend in 4 years not to do that. Good coaching , weight room, proper diet, and he could be a very good player. NBA, who knows. He has 3 years now with good coaches to improve his game and get in good shape. I'm glad he
Didn't bolt, which he would have done if Ollie was still coach, and I can't blame him. I still remember Bilas on one game commenting that it did not seem as if Brimah improved in 4 years.

UconnU

Reaction Score
I agree. I was impressed by Carlton, considering he was a freshman and still has his baby fat. The guy would catch the ball down low and NOT put it on the floor. Something our recent bigs were not able to comprehend in 4 years not to do that. Good coaching , weight room, proper diet, and he could be a very good player. NBA, who knows. He has 3 years now with good coaches to improve his game and get in good shape. I'm glad he
Didn't bolt, which he would have done if Ollie was still coach, and I can't blame him. I still remember Bilas on one game commenting that it did not seem as if Brimah improved in 4 years.
He should have been a 4-star coming out of high school. He was arguably the best player on a national top 15 team his junior year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom