Dan Hurley Interview | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley Interview

Reaction Score

PS: Josh Carlton dominating practice there for the big men. There is a recognition by the guys that he will be the go to big guy. Everyone looks more connected and excited.

Tyler Polley with a good stroke from outside. I like the competitiveness and Jalen looks very focused.

#UCONNISCOMING

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
You can’t really tell if Carlton is domanating practice. There’s probably only 10 minutes of practice footage out there and it’s mostly highlights.

Reaction Score
A lot of coaches say "I want to play up tempo," but it never actually happens. Ollie being one of MANY examples.

One thing I love about Hurley is that he trusts his players enough to actually play up tempo. That is HARD as a coach to give up some control. But when you have players like Jalen and Alterique who are ultra-skilled in transition making decisions, you have to let them run. Love it.

We very well may go 10 deep this year. Gonna be fun to watch, even if (as I expect) the season won't be great. I just am excited to see a team that works like heck, competes no matter what, and actually enjoy the games.

Reaction Score
The upperclassmen in the backcourt, the new intensity, chemistry and focus will combine with a down AAC year and give us a real shot at the NCAA tournament this year. We've got to win the close ones, if we do, we're dancing. We've seen what's possible with a very talented and experienced backcourt surrounded by guys who know their roles and play them well. I don't expect Adams to do what Kemba and Bazz did, but there is enough talent to make the tournament.

Reaction Score
In that video I loved both Polley going nuts and Vital NOT going nuts after hitting a 3. Also great to see Alterique in there passing the ball around with the 'coach' team.

Reaction Score
It's just crazy that they don't publish a video of all of the missed shots, blown assignments, and underwhelming plays. What are they thinking.
They are thinking positive. Why post videos of missed shots and blown plays? What is the point? Why are you being negative about what is happening? This is a complete turn around of Ollies leadership and this team will be a pretty good competitive team this season.
Edit: maybe you're just being sarcastic about the other post. If so, my apologies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t find it offensive at all. The players know what he means. Each of them is thinking that they can be better than anyone expects and they can make the team better. So, if you think Tyler Polley is sitting home butt hurt because coach thinks the team isn’t fully loaded, you are mistaken. He’s thinking, “I’ll show coach”. That’s exactly what coach wants.

pj

Reaction Score
I think Hurley's concern is we should be good this year, but with Jalen leaving and if 2019 recruiting doesn't go well, we could be quite weak. He wants to get a solid recruiting class in. If something like Cockburn, Achiuwa, Delaire, Gaffney, Bouknight commits, I'm sure he'd be eager to schedule.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Wonder how this statement went over with the current team.
Good tactic to light a fire under the current team.
Hurley knows what he's doing, he's not dumb.

Reaction Score
Coach K is 71. If Bobby somehow managed to be his successor in 5-10 years and Hurley is still our coach... now THAT would be a rivalry

Reaction Score
A couple things really stood out to me: interior passing and enthusiasm.
First was when a player drove inside and passed to an open man (Carlton) rather than forcing a shot against a defender.
The other was the enthusiasm when Carlton took the dump off pass and tossed in a short shot. The players swarmed him. Not much of that last year.

Last edited:

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
It's just crazy that they don't publish a video of all of the missed shots, blown assignments, and underwhelming plays. What are they thinking.
That’s obviously not what I’m saying why do you have to be annoying

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom