Dan Hurley has officially signed a six-year, $50 million dollar contract extension. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley has officially signed a six-year, $50 million dollar contract extension.

Reaction Score
Just heard the news on WEEI while flipping through stations, Zolak just called Hurley a fraud, haha what a toolbag. Said now they’re gonna have to cut the swimming team, didn’t know he cared so much about UConn.
Remember why Zolak is famous in the first place. Because he won two football games in an 2-14 season, as a fourth-string QB, which almost cost the Patriots the right to draft Drew Bledsoe.

Reaction Score
Tom Moore is doing a gm kind of role, but idk what the length of his deal means. this is a new role in college sports and the eval standards are evolving. I dont think he wants to leave.
He'll be 60 next year, I imagine he just wants to go year to year and see how he feels. At some point the grind of recruiting will be too much and he'll be ready to retire

Reaction Score
I think it's a good deal for UConn. Hurley could've pushed for more, but got enough to be happy.

One of the (many) reasons I liked Roy Williams far more than Coach K is that Williams was paid well but always left money on the table. K was always by far the highest paid coach.

Reaction Score
I think it's a good deal for UConn. Hurley could've pushed for more, but got enough to be happy.

One of the (many) reasons I liked Roy Williams far more than Coach K is that Williams was paid well but always left money on the table. K was always by far the highest paid coach.
Roy also quietly retired with zero fanfare. I was never much of a fan of his when he coached but I've come to really like and respect the guy.

Reaction Score
Thought this was interesting.

The maximum discretionary assistant/associate head coach bonuses included in Hurley’s contract remains at $500,000, and Hurley is not eligible to receive any portion of these bonuses.

Is that a way for Hurley to keep the coaches incentivized to work hard? He has $500,000 to hand out as he sees fit.

Alternate access:
Five things to note in new contracts for Dan Hurley, UConn men’s basketball assistant coaches

Reaction Score
I saw the news when the rest of the world saw the news, on CNBC

1720484327102.jpeg

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Who is Zolak and why should we care what he thinks..i.e. Rob Parker saying UCONN is not a BlueBlood......Haters gonna hate.
I don’t know who he is, but it would not surprise me if he was a fan of…hmmmm…let’s see…start with Kentucky, but maybe Kansas, or who knows could be Duke my money is on one of the big programs and he is not happy with our evolving dynasty.

So let’s take a shot at Hurley as you say haters gonna hate… sometimes they have a reason they do not want to make public:)

Reaction Score
Zolak is a Terp. He reps Maryland, when he reps anything not Tom Brady or the Patriots. He is also an idiot. Though somehow I love his show.

Reaction Score
He'll be 60 next year, I imagine he just wants to go year to year and see how he feels. At some point the grind of recruiting will be too much and he'll be ready to retire
There is a downside for him only having a year to year contract with no longer term guarantee. If he has a 3 yr deal he can choose to retire anytime with no liability but still has the stability of a longer deal

Reaction Score
So Kimani is really at 800+, Luke slightly behind, and Tom slightly behind Luke? Seems like Hurley took less to lower the buyouts and pay his assistants more.
According to the 2023 CT state employee total earnings report (i.e., regular, overtime and other pay) Kimani made $857k , Luke $540k, Tom $400k. These guys have a phenomenal setup and have this program running like a well oiled machine!! How lucky are we?!?!?

Reaction Score
According to the 2023 CT state employee total earnings report (i.e., regular, overtime and other pay) Kimani made $857k , Luke $540k, Tom $400k. These guys have a phenomenal setup and have this program running like a well oiled machine!! How lucky are we?!?!?
As someone else said…keeping the assistants is easier if they are making high 6 figures. Many starter HC jobs won’t pay as much as they are making here..or not much more

Reaction Score
Thought this was interesting.

The maximum discretionary assistant/associate head coach bonuses included in Hurley’s contract remains at $500,000, and Hurley is not eligible to receive any portion of these bonuses.

Is that a way for Hurley to keep the coaches incentivized to work hard? He has $500,000 to hand out as he sees fit.

Alternate access:
Five things to note in new contracts for Dan Hurley, UConn men’s basketball assistant coaches
The 500k is based on performance bonuses hit based on team performance e.g. winning Big East titles, making sweet 16 etc. so they are not something that is handed out subjectively but rather hitting objective targets.

It's a similar structure to Hurley's performance incentives, exception is not as many and with a 500k ceiling since the total of all incentives available to Kimani is greater than that should the team find great success again.

And at least the way I read it was it was just for Kimani (Associate Head Coach) but I may have missed if it was also for other assistants.

Reaction Score
The assistants are great , but it’s a two edged sword for them career wise. Their opportunities for a head coaching job become extremely limited as there making as much as most D1 coached .The jobs that pay more are typically going to someone with head coaching experience ( enough wins and that obstacle lessens) conversely the schools that will normally take a chance on an assistant would be a pay cut . Pllus these guys don’t want to go to a career ending job .If you think coaching is difficult in the portal era ,which it’s not for programs on top , try being a program with limited resources and trying to rebuild , it almost impossible. So they have far fewer opportunities to become a head coach .

Reaction Score
“I've had these conversations with Kimani and Luke the last couple of years,” Hurley said. “Their first job should be high end of the Atlantic-10 or a high-major job. That's where their mindset should be. And we've made it such a great situation for them at UConn that they can be patient that way. They should be high-major head coaches, or at the absolute top of that mid-major list of schools that makes the tournament every year and has the resources to win a game or two.”

Alternate access:

What makes Dan Hurley and his UConn men's basketball coaching staff so successful? 'We're obsessed'

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can't wait to see the Boneyard after a loss (hopefully never). You just know some knucklehead will have "advice" that Hurley needs to hear.
Yep. It'll also continue to be the best place to find UConn information and talk with people who care about the program as much as you do. Acceptable trade-off in my view.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“I've had these conversations with Kimani and Luke the last couple of years,” Hurley said. “Their first job should be high end of the Atlantic-10 or a high-major job. That's where their mindset should be. And we've made it such a great situation for them at UConn that they can be patient that way. They should be high-major head coaches, or at the absolute top of that mid-major list of schools that makes the tournament every year and has the resources to win a game or two.”

Alternate access:

What makes Dan Hurley and his UConn men's basketball coaching staff so successful? 'We're obsessed'

" They have to share that same, like, obsession. And they can't be looking for life balance.”

Low key shot at Freeman? I wonder what he thinks about leaving whatever ended up being the dominant program in college basketball?

IMG_3473.jpeg

For those of us who have wondered why Luke and Kamani haven't left, this is a big part of the reason. It reminds me a bit bit of Chris Daley on the woman's side. She has said she has considered opportunities but ultimately hasn't been convinced to leave because she has everything she needs to compete at the highest levels at UConn. She too is paid more than many head coaches in women's basketball.

Reaction Score
Who is Zolak and why should we care what he thinks..i.e. Rob Parker saying UCONN is not a BlueBlood......Haters gonna hate.
If Rob Parker continues to have hot takes about you then you’re doing something right. You can tell he’s full of crap on his smile he even coughs on one of his takes.

His take on Hurley turning down the Lakers job is that winning in Storrs CT is easy and not a challenge. So your contradicting your previous takes that UConn isn’t a blue blood lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom