Dan Hawkins Was Right All Day | The Boneyard

Dan Hawkins Was Right All Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As I agonizingly watched the E. Carolina game on TV, I carefully listened to color commentator Dan Hawkins who, in my opinion, was right on the money all day in his critique and analysis of our offensive and defensive strategy. (While most former coaches tend to be kinder to fellow coaches when they do T.V., Hawkins deserves the Profile In Courage Award!!) He was outspoken in his critique of our offensive game plan. How we lacked an "over the middle tight end” approach, an aggressive defensive approach—no blitz pressure-- and were extremely vulnerable in our soft, sit back zone. "When you have a quick scoring offense you can afford the luxury of letting the opponent dink and dunk in front of your DB’s, but when you don’t, you need to play press coverage man to man and use some blitz packages to disrupt”. All day he was basically indicting our coaching staff and they deserved every brick he threw. (And before I hear about his credentials I understand he flopped as a HC at Colorado but was great at Boise St--so for me he has street cred.) Even worse, his comments matched the complaints we amateur critics have had all year. And you can be sure he was mocking Diaco when he commended him for maintaining "sideline enthusiasm" in the face of such a debacle. He looked just like Nick Saban would if he were getting his ass kicked—not. Seldom have I heard a commentator so surgically rip apart a team (and its coaching staff) as they were getting crushed by a team that previously had 0 sacks and 1 interception--both statistically the worst in FBS football.

Friday night we better show up with a more disruptive and energetic defense and an offensive philosophy that doesn’t resemble in any way what the Owl coaches have already seen on tape. Our tendencies have been easier to read than a large print children's book. It’s fourth and one, we run up to the line of scrimmage—quick-- can you predict the play call?

This is it. Whatever slim chance we have of a bowl game (lol) is about to sail away. Can we reverse this debacle and win out the season? Friday night the answers to a lot of nagging and persistent questions related to the future of UConn football will be on display. Will we hear the public address announcer shouting "and that's another UConn first down" or will he be saying "paging David Benedict".
Sorry for the rant. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
As I agonizingly watched the E. Carolina game on TV, I carefully listened to color commentator Dan Hawkins who, in my opinion, was right on the money all day in his critique and analysis of our offensive and defensive strategy. (While most former coaches tend to be kinder to fellow coaches when they do T.V., Hawkins deserves the Profile In Courage Award!!) He was outspoken in his critique of our offensive game plan. How we lacked an "over the middle tight end” approach, an aggressive defensive approach—no blitz pressure-- and were extremely vulnerable in our soft, sit back zone. "When you have a quick scoring offense you can afford the luxury of letting the opponent dink and dunk in front of your DB’s, but when you don’t, you need to play press coverage man to man and use some blitz packages to disrupt”. All day he was basically indicting our coaching staff and they deserved every brick he threw. (And before I hear about his credentials I understand he flopped as a HC at Colorado but was great at Boise St--so for me he has street cred.) Even worse, his comments matched the complaints we amateur critics have had all year. And you can be sure he was mocking Diaco when he commended him for maintaining "sideline enthusiasm" in the face of such a debacle. He looked just like Nick Saban would if he were getting his ass kicked—not. Seldom have I heard a commentator so surgically rip apart a team (and its coaching staff) as they were getting crushed by a team that previously had 0 sacks and 1 interception--both statistically the worst in FBS football.

Friday night we better show up with a more disruptive and energetic defense and an offensive philosophy that doesn’t resemble in any way what the Owl coaches have already seen on tape. Our tendencies have been easier to read than a large print children's book. It’s fourth and one, we run up to the line of scrimmage—quick-- can you predict the play call?

This is it. Whatever slim chance we have of a bowl game (lol) is about to sail away. Can we reverse this debacle and win out the season? Friday night the answers to a lot of nagging and persistent questions related to the future of UConn football will be on display. Will we hear the public address announcer shouting "and that's another UConn first down" or will he be saying "paging David Benedict".
Dead on Nos. Good points!

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score

Pretty spot on there LC!

Reaction Score
People act as though it's all on the coaches. As if we just played more aggressively we'd win.

Hate to tell people this but as bad as our coaching is, we have a serious talent issue up and down the roster. To minimize that and put it all on the staff is foolish.

The whole thing is a dumpster fire. I'm close to calling a time of death on the program.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score

100% straight up great post. Hawk was all over it all game.

Reaction Score
People act as though it's all on the coaches. As if we just played more aggressively we'd win.

Hate to tell people this but as bad as our coaching is, we have a serious talent issue up and down the roster. To minimize that and put it all on the staff is foolish.

It's clearly more palatable (and to a point understandable) to swing at the guys making 6 and 7 figure salaries. Blame ultimately stops w/ Diaco as HC but there is a long runway up to that point.

Reaction Score

Hawkins also called the ECU HB option when the HB was lined up 6 inches behind the QB ... he saw it all the way.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Diaco, unfortunatly, is a glass-half full, always looking on the posititive side kind of head coach. Except there really aren't any "positives" to speak of right now with this team. He needs to start acting like Mr. Cool Guys HC and start getting fired up. Somehow all the growth they did as a team in the offseason hasn't shown up virtually at all this year. Why? Are the coaches not getting these kids fired up to play? Are the CR issues too much of a distraction? Is it due to the declining fan base showing up at The Rent? All of these issues??

Whatever it is Diaco needs to figure it out and fast! I'm sick (as we fans all are) of hearing how "fustrated" and "emotionally drained" he and the team are. How isn't every other school in the FBS? Heck, even in the American? Then he comes out on stage last week and says some looney toon comment like: "we should be targeting the 6-16 year old fan base and have our games broadcast on Nickeloden"- what &^k have we gotten into with this guy?? How was marketing or rivalries or any of this s&*t stuff he should have spent an once of time worrying or thinking about- ever? How about you focus 100% of your attention on simply winning football games Diaco?

In my mind its 3 key issues that have lead us to where we are currently:

1. Diaco is Learning on the Job as a HC
(in an ever-changing CFB landscape)

2. We have a lack of Talent at Starting QB
(Love Sheriffs' grit and toughness, but he is what he is... And if he stayed at NC State he'd be a Full-Back. Time to move on folks... And yes, I'm not saying Verducci's play calling isn't to blame- its just not the only thing.)

3. We have a lack of Talent at OL
(Does everyone realize that if you compared our O-Line to Alabama's the difference in size is about 2 lbs. and an inch of height?!? What is going on with our O-Line... This isn't a NEW issue. Its an every single season issue for this program.)

Reaction Score
There is absolutely nothing new in what Hawkins said. In fact, he didn't even get to see Diaco try to manage a close game and watch him waste timeouts, not understand down and distance, call plays to keep a game close, etc etc etc.

The schemes have always been high school, but the game management is actually worse.

Hopefully Benedict was watching the broadcast and not at the game...

Reaction Score
We discussed this on another thread but I think it's a difficult task to distinguish talent and coaching. I think you need to match your system to your talent not the other way around. The bend don't break d is a good example. If you have the offensive fire power to put up big numbers it works fine because it forces your opponent to basically play grind it out football. When you have an offense like ours though it makes the defense stay out there too long since every drive is long and there are lots of them.

Reaction Score
Post of the year.

This year has been a giant fail.

I was optimistic coming into this year in large part because UVA, Syracuse, UCF, ECU, and Tulane were breaking in new coaches. Temple and and Navy were both losing and insane amount of starters. The schedule on paper looked somewhat favorable.

That in year 3, he is losing to 3 first year headcoaches in winnable games, and coughing up the Navy game with bone head decisions is a terrible indictment of our guy. You just can't blow up practically every toss up game and point to progress.

Reaction Score

The whole thing is a dumpster fire. I'm close to calling a time of death on the program.

Yeah, we do lack talent, but in this conference? with how we developed from year 1 to year 2 and now year 3, where we took steps back?
One can argue that not only is it coaching and talent, but instability at the admin level... Diaco is Warde's hire... Warde bounced pretty much right after making the move....
It'd be nice to have somebody in place at the top that we can KEEP...

Reaction Score
Until Benedict says "Shiite is going to change, and change now", nothing changes. BD is another epic fail, and we better get used to that and move on. Continuing with this idiot in 2017 is unacceptable and the loss of another year. Fir goodness sake, teams with even harder recruiting challenges find the talent and manage to coach the best out of their players. UMass is more explosive than we are.

TKs

Reaction Score

Hawkins also said during the 2nd qtr: "the ECU defense is run blitzing on every 1st down". We ran up the middle right into it almost every 1st down play until we were down 31-3 in 3rd qtr. Painful to watch.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The best way to answer the "coaching vs talent" question in my mind is through the following exercise: How many (and which) of the players are playing better football this year vs. last year, now that they are a year stronger and with an additional year of coaching under their belts?

I don't have a lot of players that I can point to that fit the bill, quite honestly, and that's why I put 90% of this onto the coaches. Diggs is better. Maybe Lemelle? Johnson seems to be worse. Nobody on the OL seems to qualify, perhaps except Peart? The DLine doesn't look much better. Levenberry maybe? The other linebackers don't look better. The corners may actually look worse. Obi looks slightly better.

There you have it, folks. If your players are getting better but still getting beat, then you have to say, "Well, we just don't have the dogs this year to do it." If your players aren't getting better....and it's pretty clear cut to me...

Reaction Score
This was what I feared MOST about this hire from the get go... putting a guy in place that fit the physical profile, looked the part, said the right things.. BUT doesn't know about being a HC at any level...

Yep. We couldn't afford to have someone learn on the job.

Reaction Score
The best way to answer the "coaching vs talent" question in my mind is through the following exercise: How many (and which) of the players are playing better football this year vs. last year, now that they are a year stronger and with an additional year of coaching under their belts?

I don't have a lot of players that I can point to that fit the bill, quite honestly, and that's why I put 90% of this onto the coaches. Diggs is better. Maybe Lemelle? Johnson seems to be worse. Nobody on the OL seems to qualify, perhaps except Peart? The DLine doesn't look much better. Levenberry maybe? The other linebackers don't look better. The corners may actually look worse. Obi looks slightly better.

There you have it, folks. If your players are getting better but still getting beat, then you have to say, "Well, we just don't have the dogs this year to do it." If your players aren't getting better....and it's pretty clear cut to me...

IMO, DL has been a major disappointment in that we don't get that push up front until after we get smacked in the mouth a few times and the pass rush is nonexistent.. That's HUGE... with no push up front and the passive secondary (the HUGE cushion we give opponents at the LOS), it's shameful. It, again, it's inflated 3 fold with the lack of offensive production.

On D at least our front 7 was somewhat of a smash mouth type team (see UConnDan97's avatar... that's how we played and not just against ND). That left when Diaco entered, but the offensive production is diminishing as well. Not good.

Reaction Score

What!!???!! You think ECU talent accounts for the 40 point disparity last Saturday.

C'mon, mannnn.

That was a team on a five game losing streak that isn't any more talented that us. They just USE their talent.

Reaction Score
What!!???!! You think ECU talent accounts for the 40 point disparity last Saturday.

C'mon, mannnn.

That was a team on a five game losing streak that isn't any more talented that us. They just USE their talent.

I don't know about a 38 point difference. I turned it off as soon as it was evident the team quit.

But part of the equation is yes, ECU had better players than we did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom