Dan Hawkins Was Right All Day | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dan Hawkins Was Right All Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That was before the offensive line turned into a sculabast. ;)

But, if you pass to the TEs, you move the LBs out of the box which opens up the run lanes. I really think play calling has made our OL look worse than they are. Our offense has been Shirreffs scrambling, Newsome handoff, and Thomas mid range pass. In other words, stack the box and double cover Thomas and you beat UConn. No 5 man OL can block 6 or 7 defenders. Quick passes to the TEs are available.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I wish Hawkins was broadcasting the Temple Game. I think he'd see a much different offense.(Heard some rumors). Corley has three games to save his job. Benedict is watching. I feel the Defensive Dogs will be unleashed too. Friday Night Lights may just brighten our horizon.

Sorry, its been a long day, but when you indicate "Corley has three games to save his job", I assume you mean Diaco's job?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wish Hawkins was broadcasting the Temple Game. I think he'd see a much different offense.(Heard some rumors). Corley has three games to save his job. Benedict is watching. I feel the Defensive Dogs will be unleashed too. Friday Night Lights may just brighten our horizon.

Excuse me? Corley has 3 games to save whose job?

Let's break this down. Head Coach gets 3 years scraping the bottom of FBS while position coach gets 3 games to exhume the Titanic he inherited and make it seaworthy. That's what you heard? Makes perfect sense.

Reaction Score
But, if you pass to the TEs, you move the LBs out of the box which opens up the run lanes. I really think play calling has made our OL look worse than they are. Our offense has been Shirreffs scrambling, Newsome handoff, and Thomas mid range pass. In other words, stack the box and double cover Thomas and you beat UConn. No 5 man OL can block 6 or 7 defenders. Quick passes to the TEs are available.

The OL has regressed further w/ Hopkins out. Not only are we at the bottom for sacks allowed (#116), we are also @ the bottom TFL allowed (#124).

I understand the TE theory and I've also seen the TEs available/open many times as well w/ no throw (esp. on seam routes) - so my question then becomes is it the play calling or the QB decision making (QB also does not have a quick enough release at times). They can't be being sent out as decoys all the time. They need to be more involved in the passing game - no argument there, it's the blocking component that also needs to be solved.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Excuse me? Corley has 3 games to save whose job?

Let's break this down. Head Coach gets 3 years scraping the bottom of FBS while position coach gets 3 games to exhume the Titanic he inherited and make it seaworthy. That's what you heard? Makes perfect sense.

Corley has 3 games to save his job.

He doesn't have a 5 million dollar buy out.

Reaction Score
All ye of dwindled faith Diaco will right the ship and make us all proud. Let the coach be the coach and the fan be the fan. GO UCONN!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Corley has 3 games to save his job.

He doesn't have a 5 million dollar buy out.

OK, let's get this straight. Suddenly the entire future of our football program is in the hands of an obscure offensive position coach that 3/4 of the fanbase couldn't have picked out of a police lineup prior to this past Tuesday? And if he effs up the last three games, it's all on him and he gets shitecanned? That seems fair to me.

What, did Benedict and Diaco pull the name of an offensive position coach out of a hat and decide he would be the scapegoat, all in an effort to save Verducci's new job?

There's ten times more insanity on this forum than that found rattling around inside Diaco's head. Maybe this coach and fanbase are made for each other.

Reaction Score
I fought with him all last year... I'm starting to come around though.

It's both. The coaching is not good. There is also not enough talent on the roster. It's really not hard to see.

Nostical's gimmick last year was to put it 100% on the staff. When you hang out with player's families I guess I could see the rationale behind such a stance.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
OK, let's get this straight. Suddenly the entire future of our football program is in the hands of an obscure offensive position coach that 3/4 of the fanbase couldn't have picked out of a police lineup prior to this past Tuesday? And if he effs up the last three games, it's all on him and he gets shitecanned? That seems fair to me.

What, did Benedict and Diaco pull the name of an offensive position coach out of a hat and decide he would be the scapegoat, all in an effort to save Verducci's new job?

There's ten times more insanity on this forum than that found rattling around inside Diaco's head. Maybe this coach and fanbase are made for each other.

He's got a three game try-out to be the OC next season.

Might he still be on the staff next year if this doesn't work? He could be - but this staff isn't coming back intact.

Keep in mind Diaco said he picked him based on random comments and suggestions. The program is fundamentally broken right now - tonight may make the trip to Buffalo in 2013 seem like a pleasant memory.

Reaction Score
I hope this change helps but I'm skeptical. I really think that the talent thing is one component but a smaller one than most people want to make it. As I've said before I think a bigger issue is that we are trying to run a system that doesn't match our talent and that aren't " complimentary." That is coaching.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
...In fact, he didn't even get to see Diaco try to manage a close game and watch him waste timeouts...
He did get to sere him waste timeout at the end of the first half, I believe. Thankfully my memories of the game are starting to fade.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
It's both. The coaching is not good. There is also not enough talent on the roster. It's really not hard to see.

Nostical's gimmick last year was to put it 100% on the staff. When you hang out with player's families I guess I could see the rationale behind such a stance.
you can maybe mitigate (game-day) coaching deficiencies with talent and vice versa, but if you're short in both you're in a pretty bad space; outside of one or two key positions, though, our talent deficit seems to be a question of depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom