Damar Hamlin collapses at Bills Bengals game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Damar Hamlin collapses at Bills Bengals game

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Interesting, after many year off, I thought about getting certified to officiate summer league country club swim meets. Used to be an hour lecture. Now you need first aid and CPR certification. And that's for the ultimate non contact sport. Good for whoever made that rule.

Reaction Score
People don’t realize that medics are doing the same exact care at the location of the emergency that someone would get at the ER. They follow the exact same ACLS protocols. Same equipment…same meds…same skill set. I’d rather go down in front of a skilled group of medics than a bunch of green ER Resident Docs and some 2nd year nurses. I’ve done hundreds of cardiac arrests and to this day I’ve never had the ER get one back that I couldn’t get back in the field. Also…I teach ACLS…medics know their way more than most of the docs and nurses I’ve taught! And I’m not knocking docs and nurses…but medics have 10 times more experience doing cardiac arrests than any care provider in a hospital. Some super experienced RN’s and Docs out there…but some are questionable. End rant…

Reaction Score
Sucks to be the medic in such a high-visibility event. I've seen tons of uninformed comments on social media attacking the on-field care and EMS for "taking so long."
Good post @HuskiesFan1014 , just as there are Monday morning quarterbacks our society has Monday morning doctors. From everything I saw and listened to today the NFL has a very good emergency protocol and it was executed very well. This included meetings pregame by both teams medical staffs along with stadium exit and quickest route to nearest hospital.
The on field medics did exaclty as they are trained to do. Damar is alive because of their efforts.
Badda bing badda boom! And now to prayers.....

Reaction Score
So glad he is alive. The paramedics did their job to perfection under the most intense circumstances one can imagine … in front of the world with no time to lose.

Reaction Score
Oh wow, you’ve got a few years on me. When a veteran shares his knowledge I’ve always found it best to stop and listen. I should have specified, once ACLS had been established, I personally, would have felt comfortable continuing CPR while in transport, especially due to his age and that it was a witnessed arrest. But yes you are absolutely correct, CPR in an ambulance is difficult. I’m glad I wasn’t the medic on that call
I did NICU and was a transport nurse. We always stabilized with IV access, intubation if needed before we got back in the transport vehicle - I can remember a few trips having to pull over and resuscitate before continuing our journey. Of course some of our trips were 1.5 hours + each way.

Reaction Score
It looks promising for Damar. Over 100 years ago, Gardner Dow died from brain injuries when he was playing football for Connecticut Agricultural College in a football game in New Hampshire. CAC later became UConn and a campus field was named in his memory.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom