Damar Hamlin collapses at Bills Bengals game | The Boneyard

Damar Hamlin collapses at Bills Bengals game

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I hope that report of over 9.5 minutes of CPR before getting into the ambulance is not accurate. 9.5 minutes is a long time.

Reaction Score
Was it because of a game injury or did he collapse for no known reason?

Reaction Score
Was it because of a game injury or did he collapse for no known reason?

Not exactly sure yet. He made a routine tackle that involved helmet & chest contact, got up momentarily like he was okay, then just collapsed backwards. Scary as heck to watch. Game is currently suspended.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not exactly sure yet. He made a routine tackle that involved helmet contact, got up momentarily like he was okay, then just collapsed backwards. Scary as heck to watch. Game is currently suspended.

Thanks. Just horrible.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Twitter is saying he isn’t breathing on his own, ambulance waited in the parking lot for his mother, then continued to the hospital.

Prayers for him.

Reaction Score
Game has been suspended. Prayers for Damar Hamlin.

Reaction Score
A doctor on CNN says he suffered Commotio cordis. Commotio cordis is a phenomenon in which a sudden blunt impact to the chest causes sudden death in the absence of cardiac damage.

Can you survive commotio cordis?
Without immediate CPR and defibrillation the prognosis of commotio cordis is not very good. This condition is extremely dangerous with rare survival.

Hamlin was defibrillated on the field.

From wikipedia:

Commotio cordis (Latin, "agitation of the heart") is an often lethal disruption of heart rhythm that occurs as a result of a blow to the area directly over the heart (the precordial region) at a critical time during the cycle of a heart beat, producing what is termed an R-on-T phenomenon that leads to the condition. It is a form of ventricular fibrillation (V-Fib), not mechanical damage to the heart muscle or surrounding organs, and not the result of heart disease. The survival rate is 58%, which is an increase in comparison to years 1993–2012, where only 34% victims survived. This increase is likely caused by the prompt CPR, access to defibrillation and higher public awareness of this condition.

Reaction Score
A doctor on CNN says he suffered Commotio cordis. Commotio cordis is a phenomenon in which a sudden blunt impact to the chest causes sudden death in the absence of cardiac damage.

Without immediate CPR and defibrillation the prognosis of commotio cordis is not very good. This condition is extremely dangerous with rare survival.

From wikipedia:

Commotio cordis (Latin, "agitation of the heart") is an often lethal disruption of heart rhythm that occurs as a result of a blow to the area directly over the heart (the precordial region) at a critical time during the cycle of a heart beat, producing what is termed an R-on-T phenomenon that leads to the condition. It is a form of ventricular fibrillation (V-Fib), not mechanical damage to the heart muscle or surrounding organs, and not the result of heart disease. The survival rate is 58%, which is an increase in comparison to years 1993–2012, where only 34% victims survived. This increase is likely caused by the prompt CPR, access to defibrillation and higher public awareness of this condition.
I read this earlier too. Praying Damar Hamlin is on the 58% side

Reaction Score
Hope this sends a message to high school and college coaches too that player health and safety are paramount.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
prayers continued for his recovery.

Reaction Score
I hope that report of over 9.5 minutes of CPR before getting into the ambulance is not accurate. 9.5 minutes is a long time.
Not sure of Cincinnati protocols, but most prehospital protocols call for 20 minutes of high quality CPR in the field.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hope this sends a message to high school and college coaches too that player health and safety are paramount.
How does this send a message? What new information has been generated that is actionable for HS coaches?

Reaction Score
Not sure of Cincinnati protocols, but most prehospital protocols call for 20 minutes of high quality CPR in the field.
While that is true, in the case of a 24 year old healthy individual like Hamlin, as opposed to a 70+ year old with an extensive medical history, 20 minutes of CPR in the field goes out the window. Get the kid to the nearest stabilizing facility as fast as possible

Reaction Score

From wikipedia:

Gotta believe he got CPR and defibrillation as quick as humanly possible. I guess it depends on how quick they got the heart beating again.

God bless Hamlin.

Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They have to make player safety a higher priority if they don't want kids, teens and young men heading to the hospital.
I thought we already were making player safety a higher priority? Fact is, FB is a blood sport now. Not playing the game is the only way to protect kids.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
While that is true, in the case of a 24 year old healthy individual like Hamlin, as opposed to a 70+ year old with an extensive medical history, 20 minutes of CPR in the field goes out the window. Get the kid to the nearest stabilizing facility as fast as possible
(Paramedic firefighter with 36 yeas of EMS experience)
Nothing necessarily "goes out the window" if somebody is in ventricular fibrillation. The need to restore a heart rhythm takes priority. The immediate care for this condition is the same in the field as it is in the Emergency Department. CPR is difficult when underway in a moving vehicle, and high-quality CPR, ventilation (not sure if he was intubated on the field or not) and defibrillation is paramount. Once his heart rhythm was restored, he was transported.

In the event that his arrhythmia could not be converted, rapid transport for more invasive treatments would be a higher priority.

Back in the 80's we would almost always rush to the ambulance with patients in cardiac arrest....often down multiple flights of stairs. No effective CPR could be done while trying to make this move. We will take our time and provide the best quality compressions while establishing IV access for medications that may help stabilize a normal heart rhythm along with defibrillation. Once the outcome either changes positively or remains negative, transport (or, more recently, presumption of death in cases not involving someone this young and healthy) becomes the priority.

Sucks to be the medic in such a high-visibility event. I've seen tons of uninformed comments on social media attacking the on-field care and EMS for "taking so long."

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
They have to make player safety a higher priority if they don't want kids, teens and young men heading to the hospital.

Here is just one example.
This is a freak, unfortunate incident on a fairly mundane tackle.

Just to be an assistant coach in youth football I had to take 10 hours of training, and player safety is 100% paramount. I’m sure it’s exponentially more at higher levels.

The only way to eliminate risk is not to play.

Reaction Score
Nothing necessarily "goes out the window" if somebody is in ventricular fibrillation. The need to restore a heart rhythm takes priority. The immediate care for this condition is the same in the field as it is in the Emergency Department. CPR is difficult when underway in a moving vehicle, and high-quality CPR, ventilation (not sure if he was intubated on the field or not) and defibrillation is paramount. Once his heart rhythm was restored, he was transported.

In the event that his arrhythmia could not be converted, rapid transport for more invasive treatments would be a higher priority.

Back in the 80's we would almost always rush to the ambulance with patients in cardiac arrest....often down multiple flights of stairs. No effective CPR could be done while trying to make this move. We will take our time and provide the best quality compressions while establishing IV access for medications that may help stabilize a normal heart rhythm along with defibrillation. Once the outcome either changes positively or remains negative, transport (or, more recently, presumption of death in cases not involving someone this young and healthy) becomes the priority.

Sucks to be the medic in such a high-visibility event. I've seen tons of uninformed comments on social media attacking the on-field care and EMS for "taking so long."
Oh wow, you’ve got a few years on me. When a veteran shares his knowledge I’ve always found it best to stop and listen. I should have specified, once ACLS had been established, I personally, would have felt comfortable continuing CPR while in transport, especially due to his age and that it was a witnessed arrest. But yes you are absolutely correct, CPR in an ambulance is difficult. I’m glad I wasn’t the medic on that call

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Thank you a very concise and accurate post.

My wife and I are trained to teach CPR for SCA (Sudden Cardiac arrest). We were trained by our local county Fire/ Resue unit. We are part of our Community Response Team (CERT).

I was watching the game and new what happened when Damar went down. SCA is ventricular fibrillation. The heart's electrical system, for what ever reason, is interrupted and does not allow the heart to pump blood. The time line for intervention, CPR, is 10 minutes. CPR administered with in that 10 minute window keeps the oxygenated blood flowing to the vital organs. Technically, when Damar collapsed, he was dead.

Our community, a 55+ community, has had 8 incidents of SCA since 2012. All 8 survived. Our community has 93 AED's (Automated External Defibrillator) that are used to shock the heart back into a normal rhythm.

The on field medics did exaclty as they are trained to do. Damar is alive because of their efforts.

Reaction Score
A local high school player died from this back in 2010. AED was locked in an office and not at the field. Once EMTs arrived it was too late. Family has done a lot to raise awareness and provide AEDs.

Very scary situation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom