Dallas is becoming the epicenter of the AAC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dallas is becoming the epicenter of the AAC

Reaction Score
It doesn’t really matter it’s just another reminder of how much of a cultural and geographical outlier UConn is.

LOL at being closer to the committees.

The power in the CFB playoffs is 50 miles from campus in Bristol not in Texas.
Wow... the closest P5 is Boston College... how much say do they get?

Reaction Score
Wow... the closest P5 is Boston College... how much say do they get?
They thought that BC was going to be ND lite when they started the whole thing. ESPN likely dictates nearly all of college athletics at this time and probably the pros too. BC didn't live up to the hype but there is nothing they can do about it now. They are firmly ensconced in the ACC.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Meanwhile soon we will be battling Fairfield and Central Conn. for in state relevance.
Flesh out this particular argument and I'll consider you a more credible source for pronouncements about football. At the very least, how do you define "soon?"

Reaction Score
Let's be totally honest. The conference was built as a Frankenstein, with salvaged parts. At that time, UConn was the name in hoops. The were the main attraction on TV and at road games. The conference kissed up to them because they were openly trying to leave. They can try now, but I don't think anyone would care, except for the Northeast presence. should the basketball team return to prominence( and I do not think that is a very big if), and returns to sold out national games....and the football team puts more than several thousand(actual people)in the seats, no one wants them, and they are an also ran.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
There is no remnant of the old Big East left in the AAC. You are arguing with voices in your head -- certainly not with me.
Businesslawyer enough. Don't want to hear a peep from you if we end up with a losing record and continue to struggle w/ recruiting.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Flesh out this particular argument and I'll consider you a more credible source for pronouncements about football. At the very least, how do you define "soon?"
What?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Businesslawyer enough. Don't want to hear a peep from you if we end up with a losing record and continue to struggle w/ recruiting.
There is no remnant of the old Big East left in the AAC. You are arguing with voices in your head -- certainly not with me.
JEOPARDY: Schools in the AAC representing the remnant in the Old Big East.

Who are USF, Cincy and UCONN?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
If we were smart, we would have built a domed stadium, capable of football, basketball, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, and track&field. And capable of hosting big games and large crowds for any. If...
Basketball is doomed. Maybe UCONN can continue to grow its academic stature, so that losing in its two major sports is not a big deal.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score

Right Icebus. Sorry I do not get that reference. Hard rock not my thing. I played D1 ( high major) know recruiting and recruits (involved with Oakland Soldiers) and only speak on what I know not what I want to believe. Recruits don't care for the AAC, specifically as it applies to UConn. Houston yes, SMU yes, Memphis yes, 3 star kids in those regions see programs on the rise and know they can contribute. UConn is different, or should be. But you continue to believe all is well in the AAC and keep on rockin dude.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Yep, I remember you from 1986. You said that UConn would never be able to compete in the Big East in basketball.

No that was your .......

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Right Icebus. Sorry I do not get that reference. Hard rock not my thing. I played D1 ( high major) know recruiting and recruits (involved with Oakland Soldiers) and only speak on what I know not what I want to believe. Recruits don't care for the AAC, specifically as it applies to UConn. Houston yes, SMU yes, Memphis yes, 3 star kids in those regions see programs on the rise and know they can contribute. UConn is different, or should be. But you continue to believe all is well in the AAC and keep on rockin dude.

We were still in the AAC when the conference HQ was parked in Providence...how does the relocation of a few administrative office suites from there to Dallas materially change anything for UConn athletics?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Repeat after me.

No recruit cares whether the HQ of the conference is located in Providence, RI or Dallas, TX.

We are still in the AAC and stuck dealing with its limitations regardless of where the HQ is.

Look stainmaster and friends, unbunch your panties. You are right, the location of a conferences' hdqtrs means nothing to recruits. I do not recall ever factoring it in my recruitment process. Nevertheless, conference relocation has significance relative to what's in the best interest of the conference. UConn men's basketball has failed the AAC as its crowning jewel and now the conference will hitch its wagon to the mid-south schools within the conference.

Hdqtrs, in many cases is the locus for operations for an organization and the site is strategically selected for a sound business purpose. Facebook hdqtrs is in Silicon Valley rather than Austin or LA or NYC b/c it allows for them to focus on entities important to them, including tech. vendors, VC firms, start-ups, all of which are plentiful and easily accessible w/in Silicon Valley. Though NYC could work for Facebook, their focus isn't finance or law, it's tech. and their bottom line currently dictates they remain in Silicon Valley. Comparatively, the AAC and Aresco have decided its in their best interest to relocate to a region of the country, near schools w/in that region, that provide the best opportunity for conference success.

So no, recruits don't look at the location of the conference headquarters, but the AAC move implies a deemphasis on UConn and the clout we had going into this league. This deemphasis may result in continued growth of Mid-South programs, including the programs along the I-35 corridor, and an increase in their marketability regionally. The result, continued diminishment of our Men's program all for the crapshoot of a P5 bid with a football program seeking to gain it's footing as a solid D-1 program.

Reaction Score
You're with the Oakland Soldiers, olehead? Isn't that where James Akinjo came out of? Conference affiliation never seemed to be an issue for him when he committed to UConn. Or any of the other highly rated guys, like Alterique, signed in the last few years. Didn't bother Sid last yr.
This is really a dumb campaign you are on. Let Dan Hurley do his job.

Reaction Score

What is wrong with your logic. Let's map out your position. UConn recruiting isn't what you want it to be. The AAC is moving its conference offices to Dallas. Thus, UConn recruiting sucks because we're moving the conference offices to Dallas. That is not how logic works.

Or "I'm mad we're losing so I get to blame whatever I feel like."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Let's be totally honest. The conference was built as a Frankenstein, with salvaged parts. At that time, UConn was the name in hoops. The were the main attraction on TV and at road games. The conference kissed up to them because they were openly trying to leave.

How did the conference kiss up to UConn? On the contrary, UConn got lousy conference schedules date/time-wise because they were the only decent draw in the league.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
JEOPARDY: Schools in the AAC representing the remnant in the Old Big East.

Who are USF, Cincy and UCONN?

Nah. USF and Cinci are from the Big East 2.0, not the "old" original Big East. WVU, Miami and Louisville are not "old" Big East either. Nor are Marquette and DePaul.

Reaction Score
Look stainmaster and friends, unbunch your panties. You are right, the location of a conferences' hdqtrs means nothing to recruits. I do not recall ever factoring it in my recruitment process. Nevertheless, conference relocation has significance relative to what's in the best interest of the conference. UConn men's basketball has failed the AAC as its crowning jewel and now the conference will hitch its wagon to the mid-south schools within the conference.

Hdqtrs, in many cases is the locus for operations for an organization and the site is strategically selected for a sound business purpose. Facebook hdqtrs is in Silicon Valley rather than Austin or LA or NYC b/c it allows for them to focus on entities important to them, including tech. vendors, VC firms, start-ups, all of which are plentiful and easily accessible w/in Silicon Valley. Though NYC could work for Facebook, their focus isn't finance or law, it's tech. and their bottom line currently dictates they remain in Silicon Valley. Comparatively, the AAC and Aresco have decided its in their best interest to relocate to a region of the country, near schools w/in that region, that provide the best opportunity for conference success.

So no, recruits don't look at the location of the conference headquarters, but the AAC move implies a deemphasis on UConn and the clout we had going into this league. This deemphasis may result in continued growth of Mid-South programs, including the programs along the I-35 corridor, and an increase in their marketability regionally. The result, continued diminishment of our Men's program all for the crapshoot of a P5 bid with a football program seeking to gain it's footing as a solid D-1 program.

Or.

UConn gets back to winning ways behind a quality coach and renders your entire argument moot.

The conference "deempahsising" UConn is one of the dumbest things I've read here in awhile. As if Mike Aresco saying "the conference really cares about UConn" is going to do absolutely anything to move the needle.

Just stop.

Reaction Score
How did the conference kiss up to UConn? On the contrary, UConn got lousy conference schedules date/time-wise because they were the only decent draw in the league.
How...how many conference tourneys did they host? Why Hartford? Because they were the name team.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
You're with the Oakland Soldiers, olehead? Isn't that where James Akinjo came out of? Conference affiliation never seemed to be an issue for him when he committed to UConn. Or any of the other highly rated guys, like Alterique, signed in the last few years. Didn't bother Sid last yr.
This is really a dumb campaign you are on. Let Dan Hurley do his job.

He signed b/c of Ollie, where is he now? Sid originally signed w/ UConn? St. John's is the seaboard version of DePaul, who wouldn't jump ship?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
What?
You wrote that "soon enough" we'd be battling Fairfield and CCSU for in-state relevance regarding basketball. I found that preposterous, unless you had a clearer statement if what you meant by "soon."

Possibly reckless statements about basketball reduce the credibility of your statements regarding football.

Do you understand now?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
What is wrong with your logic. Let's map out your position. UConn recruiting isn't what you want it to be. The AAC is moving its conference offices to Dallas. Thus, UConn recruiting sucks because we're moving the conference offices to Dallas. That is not how logic works.

Or "I'm mad we're losing so I get to blame whatever I feel like."

Not logical enough Businesslawyer? Sorry counselor. I don't like the losing but not mad. I recognize our current conference affiliation has a lot to do w/ the current state of our program. I'm hopeful Hurley can turn it around. He has a hell of an uphill battle.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
You wrote that "soon enough" we'd be battling Fairfield and CCSU for in-state relevance regarding basketball. I found that preposterous, unless you had a clearer statement if what you meant by "soon."

Possibly reckless statements about basketball reduce the credibility of your statements regarding football.

Do you understand now?
Gotcha.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom