Dallas is becoming the epicenter of the AAC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dallas is becoming the epicenter of the AAC

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
The power brokers of CFB are in Dallas. Not Providence. And football is what drives revenue.

Using this as some kind of indictment is obtuse. This conference needs to get as close to these committees as possible.

It’s a metropolitan conference. Dallas fits the identity of the majority of the members. Using regionalism is stupid when we’re talking about national cities. If the conference had a rural identity, it may be another story.
Steve, I don't care where you go, P5 thinks UCONN football is a joke. We will not make a P5 on the backs of football. Will. Not. Happen. Meanwhile soon we will be battling Fairfield and Central Conn. for in state relevance. No one wants to come to UConn to play in the AAC, not for football and not for basketball.

Reaction Score
UConn football was solid before Pasqualoni and Diaco were hired. Football program should be fine, hopefully. Hope that 3-3-5 works out soon enough...

Every school in the AAC is looking to join a more established conference. Most schools in the AAC will probably be invited to another conference eventually or invite other "power programs" such as Iowa State (if a conference gets decimated), easily.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
UConn football was solid before Pasqualoni and Diaco were hired. Football program should be fine, hopefully. Hope that 3-3-5 works out soon enough...
Plze, if you can play UCONN is not a school you think about. If you find, even the BC's or Temple's of the world not giving you a look, then you begin to look at UConn or Nova. Though Nova may have a better program and better caliber of player.

Reaction Score
Plze, if you can play UCONN is not a school you think about. If you find, even the BC's or Temple's of the world not giving you a look, then you begin to look at UConn or Nova. Though Nova may have a better program and better caliber of player.
How old are you? Too young to remember that UConn was good in football? Diaco is our worst coach in 100 years. Not 20, 50.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
How old are you? Too young to remember that UConn was good in football? Diaco is our worst coach in 100 years. Not 20, 50.
Grew up in Ct. Graduated in '86. Listen, all I'm saying is if you are a P5 recruit today, not 40 years ago (sans Fiesta) you are not thinking UCONN for football. I'm sorry if this is disappointing. How many 3 stars do we have currently? How many 3, 4, 5 stars have we gotten in the last two years? How many 3, 4, 5 stars on any of the major recruiting sites has designs on taking a visit to UConn. This is a reality. How is this difficult? Am I tracking a different UCONN football program than others? And how long do you build? You have upstarts like UCF as an example who were able to get it done in a relatively short period of time, same w/ USF. Meanwhile we boohoo b/c the bball program has withered to irrelevancy darn near. Thank God for Hurley. He has a hell of a sales job on his hands to bring us back to greatness.

Reaction Score
Really businesslawyer? The move is indicia of a deemphasis of the AAC representing the remnant of the old Big East. It's an indicator of a move away from the NE. This will certainly impact marketing, and eventually this conference will begin to have the feel of Conderence USA 2.0. That was really the point. I know that's a really tough logical leap for you and Wing u Conn given how great our recruiting and retention of recruits has been without the last three seasons. Oh yeah, winning, our winning sort of blurs this point as well over the course of the past three years. Blame it on Ollie though, right? Hurley will turn it around. At least Cincinnati continues to win though, so maybe it's not the conference, maybe it's Storrs. Hard to bring a great recruit to Storrs. Oh wait, I think we brought in a few decent recruits in the OBE, won a few games and had a little bit of success as well. Ask a four star recruit would you rather play in the AAC or the NBE, they would say of course the ACC. You then correct them and tell them, no the AAC, to which they say, who?

There is no remnant of the old Big East left in the AAC. You are arguing with voices in your head -- certainly not with me.

Reaction Score
Grew up in Ct. Graduated in '86. Listen, all I'm saying is if you are a P5 recruit today, not 40 years ago (sans Fiesta) you are not thinking UCONN for football. I'm sorry if this is disappointing. How many 3 stars do we have currently? How many 3, 4, 5 stars have we gotten in the last two years? How many 3, 4, 5 stars on any of the major recruiting sites has designs on taking a visit to UConn. This is a reality. How is this difficult? Am I tracking a different UCONN football program than others? And how long do you build? You have upstarts like UCF as an example who were able to get it done in a relatively short period of time, same w/ USF. Meanwhile we boohoo b/c the bball program has withered to irrelevancy darn near. Thank God for Hurley. He has a hell of a sales job on his hands to bring us back to greatness.

Yep, I remember you from 1986. You said that UConn would never be able to compete in the Big East in basketball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It doesn’t really matter it’s just another reminder of how much of a cultural and geographical outlier UConn is.

LOL at being closer to the committees.

The power in the CFB playoffs is 50 miles from campus in Bristol not in Texas.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
14-18. Any more questions? Good, go watch UCONN football.

Yes. I have more questions. How is recruiting going? Are you going to have the guys press the floor? What will Coach Miller's role be? This is so cool getting to talk to Jim Calhoun on The Boneyard. You should come on here more often.

Reaction Score
Really businesslawyer? The move is indicia of a deemphasis of the AAC representing the remnant of the old Big East. It's an indicator of a move away from the NE. This will certainly impact marketing, and eventually this conference will begin to have the feel of Conderence USA 2.0. That was really the point. I know that's a really tough logical leap for you and Wing u Conn given how great our recruiting and retention of recruits has been without the last three seasons. Oh yeah, winning, our winning sort of blurs this point as well over the course of the past three years. Blame it on Ollie though, right? Hurley will turn it around. At least Cincinnati continues to win though, so maybe it's not the conference, maybe it's Storrs. Hard to bring a great recruit to Storrs. Oh wait, I think we brought in a few decent recruits in the OBE, won a few games and had a little bit of success as well. Ask a four star recruit would you rather play in the AAC or the NBE, they would say of course the ACC. You then correct them and tell them, no the AAC, to which they say, who?
You're obviously having a bad day.

Nobody is arguing that our current situation in the AAC is better than it was in the Big East.

But if you think our recruiting would be improved if the headquarters were to stay in Providence, or better yet, move to NYC, then with all due respect, you're crazy.

Frankly, I'm shocked you think the conference "will begin to have" a CUSA 2.0 feel to it, because that's how many of us have felt since Cuse, Pitt, and WVU left.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
They were the catalysts for the formation of the Big East and they were the ones, along with Syracuse, who were making Final Fours before us and were responsible for the strength of the conference.

Precisely why fans of other old Big East schools hate us so much. Such as Syracuse. Also a reason why we are still in the AAC.

Prior to the formation of the original Big East in 1979, it's not like any particular school or schools were national juggernauts in basketball. Yes, PC and Syracuse had been to one Final Four each in the 70's, and Villanova's one appearance was officially vacated due to Howard Porter's ineligibility in 1970. Other than that, Georgetown made one in 1943, which really doesn't count for much, considering it was the middle of WWII and the NIT was equal to, if not greater than the NCAAs in national perception.

It was a collection of good regional programs. What the league accomplished afterward was a shared collective success. UCONN's problems in the early years were more due to the administration trying to run the athletic program with Ivy League-type admission standards, while up against other league schools that had no problem admitting marginally qualified athletes.

As for being hated by fans of other OBE schools, that's a good thing. It means they still consider us relevant.

Our being in the AAC has zero to do with the old Big East schools and everything to do with our collective university administrations being totally asleep at the wheel ever since the first OBE breakup in 2003. That is all about football and nothing else. As for that sport, we were a valuable member of the conference, making bowl games and the Fiesta Bowl. We were instrumental in helping the league retain its BCS status after all the defections. Football is the only sport that matters anymore.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Repeat after me.

No recruit cares whether the HQ of the conference is located in Providence, RI or Dallas, TX.

We are still in the AAC and stuck dealing with its limitations regardless of where the HQ is.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t really matter it’s just another reminder of how much of a cultural and geographical outlier UConn is.

LOL at being closer to the committees.

The power in the CFB playoffs is 50 miles from campus in Bristol not in Texas.

Only "liked" cuz there ain't a love option

Reaction Score
As long as UConn plays in the outdoor sports, the AAC is where UConn should be. (short of a windfall autonomy invite)

Simply, the best players and best possible opponents come from the states closer to the equator. And, coincidentally, a lot of our alumni move close to those cities.

Orlando
Tampa
Dallas
Houston

Those cities have made this conference tenable. (as opposed to playing in a MAC)
The AAC finished with 3 ranked teams in football (and MBB). It's also won (not just appeared) a NY6 Bowl game 3 out of 5 possible years of eligibility.

Will that help the bottom line? That remains to be seen, but it certainly can't hurt.
The autonomy conferences are trying to restrict competition. We've seen that in the raids and now we're seeing that with the 20 game schedules.
I think the AAC has done a tremendous job in the face of the storm that is trying to turn UConn into UMass.

The fact that our conference has put together such a credible group of coaches speaks to that commitment. Frankly, the conference office has already been in the Northeast for a good period of time. I have no problem with the other side of the conference getting the presence of the conference office. Likewise with the tourney. UConn has already hosted multiple times. I have no complaint with the rest of the fans having that access too.

We're building a Taj Mahal for baseball, and now we also have a credible conference to build Penders programs brand greater than we could anywhere else.

It's amazing that we have so many myopic fans.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Prior to the formation of the original Big East in 1979, it's not like any particular school or schools were national juggernauts in basketball. Yes, PC and Syracuse had been to one Final Four each in the 70's, and Villanova's one appearance was officially vacated due to Howard Porter's ineligibility in 1970. Other than that, Georgetown made one in 1943, which really doesn't count for much, considering it was the middle of WWII and the NIT was equal to, if not greater than the NCAAs in national perception.

It was a collection of good regional programs. What the league accomplished afterward was a shared collective success. UCONN's problems in the early years were more due to the administration trying to run the athletic program with Ivy League-type admission standards, while up against other league schools that had no problem admitting marginally qualified athletes.

As for being hated by fans of other OBE schools, that's a good thing. It means they still consider us relevant.

Our being in the AAC has zero to do with the old Big East schools and everything to do with our collective university administrations being totally asleep at the wheel ever since the first OBE breakup in 2003. That is all about football and nothing else. As for that sport, we were a valuable member of the conference, making bowl games and the Fiesta Bowl. We were instrumental in helping the league retain its BCS status after all the defections. Football is the only sport that matters anymore.
I am aware of the histories of programs before the Big East. Never did I say anywhere that the Big East was created by powerhouses. The Big East created powerhouses, including us. We're the school that benefited the most, apart from Louisville. Our administration should have been more proactive when UL got invited. But there's a next time and everyone has that on their minds, obviously.

Reaction Score
As long as UConn plays in the outdoor sports, the AAC is where UConn should be. (short of a windfall autonomy invite)

Simply, the best players and best possible opponents come from the states closer to the equator. And, coincidentally, a lot of our alumni move close to those cities.

Orlando
Tampa
Dallas
Houston

Those cities have made this conference tenable. (as opposed to playing in a MAC)
The AAC finished with 3 ranked teams in football (and MBB). It's also won (not just appeared) a NY6 Bowl game 3 out of 5 possible years of eligibility.

Will that help the bottom line? That remains to be seen, but it certainly can't hurt.
The autonomy conferences are trying to restrict competition. We've seen that in the raids and now we're seeing that with the 20 game schedules.
I think the AAC has done a tremendous job in the face of the storm that is trying to turn UConn into UMass.

The fact that our conference has put together such a credible group of coaches speaks to that commitment. Frankly, the conference office has already been in the Northeast for a good period of time. I have no problem with the other side of the conference getting the presence of the conference office. Likewise with the tourney. UConn has already hosted multiple times. I have no complaint with the rest of the fans having that access too.

We're building a Taj Mahal for baseball, and now we also have a credible conference to build Penders programs brand greater than we could anywhere else.

It's amazing that we have so many myopic fans.
If we were smart, we would have built a domed stadium, capable of football, basketball, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, and track&field. And capable of hosting big games and large crowds for any. If...

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
"The American will be bringing one of its marquee events to the area soon, too. The men's basketball tournament will take place at the currently-under-construction Dickies Arena in Fort Worth from 2020-22."

When y'all come to town for this, I'll let you know where to find the best beer and pizza, and barbecue.

Reaction Score
LOL

"The original Big East Conference was founded in 1979, when Providence College basketball coach Dave Gavitt spearheaded an effort to assemble an east coast basketball-centric collegiate athletic conference.[10] The core of the Big East formed when Providence, St. John's, Georgetown, and Syracuse invited Seton Hall, Connecticut (UConn), Holy Cross, Rutgers, and Boston College (BC). Holy Cross turned down the invitation, as did Rutgers initially, while BC, Seton Hall, and UConn accepted."

:rolleyes:

What part of that contradicts anything in my post?

So nothing you said contradicts what I wrote, got it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If we were smart, we would have built a domed stadium, capable of football, basketball, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, and track&field. And capable of hosting big games and large crowds for any. If...
And a mag-lev train from Storrs to East Hartford, with perhaps more conventional connections to Front Street & Union Station, and direct rail to BDL

Reaction Score
Providence vs DFW: closer proximity and far more direct flights to/from majority of league schools: advantage Dallas; office space costs in Providence vs Dallas 'burbs?: not sure, but Providence made some sense a decade ago, not so much now; media attention? football territory versus no big deal for hoops in either location. And, neither gridiron nor hoops recruits give a hoot even if they knew a conference HQ location.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom