Daily Campus frontpage | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Daily Campus frontpage

C

Chief00

Sure it would be better to be in a Power 5 conference but Suzie and Blumeny blew that chance for us.
The AAC is getting traction in both basketball and football. With Houston, UCF and Memphis up and coming - it’s really up to UConn to pull its own weight. If we can do that, we will be ok.

Reaction Score
The ACC publicly wanted schools that fit their "academic profile" until they didn't when they took Louisville.
Louisville has one of the best engineering schools in the country, it's not a bad University. Not as good as Uconn, but it is not bad. Dirty in athletics? Now that is another story entirely. I am all for slamming Louisville for things that are true (D-I-R-T-Y), but lets not stretch the truth when its not needed.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Then the BIG did something even dumber and took Rutgers for the NY market (which they have almost none of).
RU got the B1G elevated 1st tier rates accross the NYC DMA (which included Fairfield County). I think it's fair to say that was win for the conference and for RU.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Louisville has one of the best engineering schools in the country, it's not a bad University. Not as good as Uconn, but it is not bad. Dirty in athletics? Now that is another story entirely. I am all for slamming Louisville for things that are true (D-I-R-T-Y), but lets not stretch the truth when its not needed.
Meh...
1553558873528.png

Reaction Score
71.7% acceptance rate

Ranked #171 by US News

They're trash.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Engineering School is ranked #128. They are trash. Even if USNews is a joke 128 is beyond horrible.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I swear to god I'm going to lose my mind if I see one more dumb post about how we should drop every sport but men and women's bball and football as that will somehow prepare us for the next round of conference re-alignment. Not sure who was posting it in another thread but that kind of thinking drives me crazy. Throwing out all olympic sports does not make us attractive to the BIG or ACC or any other P5 conference. IF we are going to get invited the next time around it's going to be because we're acting and playing like a P5 school even though we currently aren't. Unfortunately with conference shuffling the rules seem to always change so that they don't benefit UConn. If the ACC was simply taking the current best programs with the most media coverage and most eyeballs UConn would have been a shoo in. Instead they took Syracuse and Pitt who at the time had lousy football programs (but people could remember the 80's and 90's when they were good). Then the BIG did something even dumber and took Rutgers for the NY market (which they have almost none of). The ACC publicly wanted schools that fit their "academic profile" until they didn't when they took Louisville. None of it makes sense, but one thing I do know is that if we don't stay all in on sports we will have a 0% chance the next time around. (if there is a next time)

going to lose your mind?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I was thinking, if Houston made a Final Four 4 run or maybe even won the National Championship this year, will that make any impact of improving the conference in the short term or does that just help Houston make a case in jumping off the AAC to a P5 conference? Other than Temple and Cincinnati, UCF gave Duke a good scare and Houston looks like a Final 4 team to me, so we can't be in that bad of a situation right? This article paints a doomsday scenario and I just don't feel that is the case.
No.

Things like Houston winning the NCAA title in basketball only do one thing... put us lower down on the priority list for potential P5 expansion targets. Be careful what you conference cheerleaders wish for.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No.

Things like Houston winning the NCAA title in basketball only do one thing... put us lower down on the priority list for potential P5 expansion targets. Be careful what you conference cheerleaders wish for.

Do well. Just not that well.

Reaction Score
Pardon my ignorance on the topic of media deals, but what stops the AAC from forming its own network, and doing what the Big 10, ACC, and other conferences are doing? Obviously I’m missing something, but you would think the AAC conference gets a lot of eyeballs (increasing each year) considering the large swath of media markets it captures between Houston, Florida directionals, Memphis, Cincinnati, New England/NYC/NJ/Phili, not to mention the broad coverage generated by Navy. Wouldn’t the conference make more money setting up their own conference network? I see the conference getting better each year assuming no defections. And if all of the schools were making much more money with its own network, one would think defections would become less likely going forward.

I’m obviously overlooking something, or I would’ve heard this discussed. Can someone enlighten me on what I’m missing here?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I’m obviously overlooking something, or I would’ve heard this discussed. Can someone enlighten me on what I’m missing here?

Nobody on earth is interested in carrying an AAC Network. The Mountain West had a network and it was a failure, for one example. The AAC does not draw anywhere remotely near enough eyeballs.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Pardon my ignorance on the topic of media deals, but what stops the AAC from forming its own network, and doing what the Big 10, ACC, and other conferences are doing? Obviously I’m missing something, but you would think the AAC conference gets a lot of eyeballs (increasing each year) considering the large swath of media markets it captures between Houston, Florida directionals, Memphis, Cincinnati, New England/NYC/NJ/Phili, not to mention the broad coverage generated by Navy. Wouldn’t the conference make more money setting up their own conference network? I see the conference getting better each year assuming no defections. And if all of the schools were making much more money with its own network, one would think defections would become less likely going forward.

They need a tv partner to do that with. ESPN decides who gets a network not the conference.

Reaction Score
Nobody on earth is interested in carrying an AAC Network. The Mountain West had a network and it was a failure, for one example. The AAC does not draw anywhere remotely near enough eyeballs.
Yeah but I wouldn’t use the Mountain West as a comparison. We are by far the 6th best football conference (and getting better), and we are the 6/7 best basketball conference in this year we were better than the PAC and better than NBE. I get it that there may not be the same level of interest compared to the other P5 conferences but it still feels like it would be somewhat viable

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I swear to god I'm going to lose my mind if I see one more dumb post about how we should drop every sport but men and women's bball and football as that will somehow prepare us for the next round of conference re-alignment. Not sure who was posting it in another thread but that kind of thinking drives me crazy. Throwing out all olympic sports does not make us attractive to the BIG or ACC or any other P5 conference. IF we are going to get invited the next time around it's going to be because we're acting and playing like a P5 school even though we currently aren't. Unfortunately with conference shuffling the rules seem to always change so that they don't benefit UConn. If the ACC was simply taking the current best programs with the most media coverage and most eyeballs UConn would have been a shoo in. Instead they took Syracuse and Pitt who at the time had lousy football programs (but people could remember the 80's and 90's when they were good). Then the BIG did something even dumber and took Rutgers for the NY market (which they have almost none of). The ACC publicly wanted schools that fit their "academic profile" until they didn't when they took Louisville. None of it makes sense, but one thing I do know is that if we don't stay all in on sports we will have a 0% chance the next time around. (if there is a next time)
I think the article read as the Big East as an option B which would then lead to decisions about all other sports. The editorial did not argue dropping all other sports as a strategy in preparation for the next round of conference realignment..in 2030.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
This is kind of how I feel but also, what has 4 basketball National titles gotten us?
Conference realignment happened right after we had just made a BCS bowl game and won a national championship in basketball. Truth is that Connecticut just isn’t a very good market. There isn’t a large college football following here, most our alumni don’t even live in the state, we have a declining market that is smaller than it was 15 years ago. The long term decision we need to make is do we try to get into the NBE and if so what do we do with football.

Reaction Score
The 2 largest "Fan" accounts on twitter, Noescalators and A Dime Back have pretty much breeded these feelings. They pretty much exist now to attack the AAC, advocate for dropping football and returning to the Big East, and insult the AAC schools in the most graceless and unwitty of ways. Their insults on UCF following their valiant effort vs Duke last night were just embarrassing. I hate that many fans of other schools think these guys represent the fanbase. I don't think they do. I hope not.
No escalators has ruined UConn twitter and created a toxic following. He is not funny at all anymore and a shell of his former self. He was a great follow during the 2014 run but now is just a constant barrage of complaint after complaint. With so many followers, it sucks that he is seen as the kingpin of UConn twitter becuase frankly he seems like a negative and pessimistic human. UConn has done nothing since 2014 to prove we are better than this conference. I must assume that he has influenced this writer because it is clear they have provided no new information within this article and is just regurgitating everything any fan who has been following the program closely already knows. I've never seen someone actively root against their own program and situation as much as he does. He reminds me of KFC from barstool the way he is just always pessimistic and never has anything positive to say. It's really sad someone like this has such an influence on followers of the program.

C

Chief00

We're one of the worst athletic programs in the AAC in sports people care about. UConn actively makes it a worse conference.
Agree, in house we are a bigger problem than our conference. Let’s clean that up first before we point our fingers in blame at those who have performed better.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

demand?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
No.

I needed people like you in the Duke-UCF thread when people were attacking me for saying UCF winning that game was actually bad for us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom