Daily Campus article - why UConn should go to MAC | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Daily Campus article - why UConn should go to MAC

Reaction Score
I was being silly. I get that both suck and that MAC will be forever or until interest tanks then it's back to FCS.
UConn would never join the MAC, it’s a Land Grant state university. The BOT would never let it happen as long as the football program remained FBS.

Reaction Score
A big negative for the MAC to me is the weeknight games. We are back to Saturday games with the Indy schedule. Weeknight games in late Oct early Nov would crater attendance and forget any students coming. Not like things are rosy now but it would be worse imo.

Reaction Score
I much prefer Independence to any lesser conference affiliation. And the P-4 conference game isn’t over. Conversations are still ongoing with Yormark. He still has a vision of monetizing BBall to a much higher degree—and we’ve been in his sights from day 1. Sure we got screwed when the PAC collapsed but in addition to any B-12 possibility we are also a natural fit in whatever the new paradigm version of the ACC may become (should FSU Clemson and UNC UVA end up heading to the SEC and B1G). Better times await but there’s no question NIL will be key to attracting talent. That’s our clear and present challenge.

Perhaps surprisingly, I think the conference next on the brink is actually the Big East. The B1G has already cancelled those Big East/challenge series BBall games —and the Big 12 is on the brink of doing the same. Why should they help prop up the BE? The sooner we leave the better, before the calvary charge for the exits begins.

Reaction Score
I much prefer Independence to any lesser conference affiliation. And the P-4 conference game isn’t over. Conversations are still ongoing with Yormark. He still has a vision of monetizing BBall to a much higher degree—and we’ve been in his sights from day 1. Sure we got screwed when the PAC collapsed but in addition to any B-12 possibility we are also a natural fit in whatever the new paradigm version of the ACC may become (should FSU Clemson and UNC UVA end up heading to the SEC and B1G). Better times await but there’s no question NIL will be key to attracting talent. That’s our clear and present challenge.

Perhaps surprisingly, I think the conference next on the brink is actually the Big East. The B1G has already cancelled those Big East/challenge series BBall games —and the Big 12 is on the brink of doing the same. Why should they help prop up the BE? The sooner we leave the better, before the calvary charge for the exits begins.
What calvary charge to the exit? Villanova and Georgetown to the A-10? Marquette to the Horizon?

Reaction Score
You can see the networks hands at work...networks will showcase the teams they carry.

The Big Ten-ACC challenge was recently discontinued when ESPN lost their Big Ten rights....ESPN has now instituted a SEC-ACC challenge.

Another example of the movement to a double headed system of conferences each backed by the two main holders of the media contracts.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

The B1G canceled the Gavitt Games because they are going to 22 league games.

Reaction Score

Couldn’t agree more, with the exception of UVA getting an invite from the SEC. Also agree the Big East is living on borrowed time.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Anyone saying these smaller conferences wouldn't accept UConn for only football is wrong. If UConn plays a few of those teams in basketball men and women they would accept UConn.

Reaction Score
Couldn’t agree more, with the exception of UVA getting an invite from the SEC. Also agree the Big East is living on borrowed time.
I think he meant UVA to B1G

Reaction Score
Ultimately I think after the good football teams are raided from the ACC, UCONN will get an invite. Unfortunately the football conference will be AAC or worse quality by that point . . . and the tv contract will be similar.
yeah but our football will survive in that conference and our basketball will thrive

Reaction Score
What calvary charge to the exit? Villanova and Georgetown to the A-10? Marquette to the Horizon?
No, Just the opposite. If the B-12 takes Gonzaga for BBall only, who else might they covet? St. John’s (NYC)? Villanova? Creighton? etc. My sense is that in time the Big East will be at risk. We need to depart the BE for either full inclusion into B-12–or the revamped ACC. I’m guessing that’s Benedict’s game plan. Nothing is easy nor is it guaranteed, but that’s our future as I see it. In the meantime we stay Independent in football.

Reaction Score
I'm one of the biggest football boosters on here, and I understand the initial reaction to say, "NO!" However, there may be some merit to this plan long-term:
  1. We are perceived as football losers. The perception is we abandoned football when we left the American for the Big East. Being in this situation with UMass perpetuates the view that New England has bad football.
  2. Since we are perceived as football losers, no real conference wants to take a chance on us. All other sports, including hoops, are great, but football is king.
  3. Since we are perceived as football losers, it makes recruiting very difficult. This perpetuates the problem since we keep losing.
  4. The MAC has some decent football teams, schools, and TV exposure. Buffalo is a New York flagship state university with AAU status.
  5. Thanks to our facilities and other sports, we will be a big fish in the MAC football pond, which means we may starting winning!
  6. If we start winning, we will get positive football exposure.
  7. If we get positive football exposure, we will be in a stronger position when the ACC dissolves, B1G expands, etc.
  8. We can still schedule some ACC and other teams each year.
I support the move. Let's go to the MAC for football only.
1.) People around the country have no clue UConn was in the AAC or that they're now Independent. All they know is UConn is horrible in football and awesome in basketball.

Reaction Score
No, Just the opposite. If the B-12 takes Gonzaga for BBall only, who else might they covet? St. John’s (NYC)? Villanova? Creighton? etc. My sense is that in time the Big East will be at risk. We need to depart the BE for either full inclusion into B-12–or the revamped ACC. I’m guessing that’s Benedict’s game plan. Nothing is easy nor is it guaranteed, but that’s our future as I see it. In the meantime we stay Independent in football.
Bingo. If the B12 comes a knocking and want to take the east coast cities it'll be St Johns, Nova, G'Town, and Providence. Welcome to the left behind, folks! Don't have to take a single football team.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Bingo. If the B12 comes a knocking and want to take the east coast cities it'll be St Johns, Nova, G'Town, and Providence. Welcome to the left behind, folks! Don't have to take a single football team.
LOL so these schools are going to take a pay cut and add travel expenses to join the Big 12?

Reaction Score
Victor Rosa and Roberson aren’t good recruits? Some might disagree with you on several points in your ridiculous post.
That's two guys. Maybe add Bouyer-Randle, Stafford, Guidone, and Edwards, ZT, and that's your list of good players this staff has recruited. That's not enough. You're not recruiting well until you have a flow of talent... we still have non-FBS players starting football games. Until every player we put on the field is an FBS player, we're not recruiting well.

Reaction Score
LOL so these schools are going to take a pay cut and add travel expenses to join the Big 12?
if the world keeps changing in that direction I wouldn't rule it out. By then it wouldn't be a paycut. The NCAA tournament is the next entity to be weakened and broken

Reaction Score
While it was good that UCONN went to a bowl game so did 85 other teams, 65% of the teams went to a bowl game. Great for the players, a little bit of recognition for UCONN but overall not a great accomplishment unless you are in the playoffs or some of the New Year day bowls.
Why on earth are you talking about the playoffs and New Years day bowls? If you're interested in that stuff pick another program to root for.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Why on earth are you talking about the playoffs and New Years day bowls? If you're interested in that stuff pick another program to root for.
Nothing wrong with aiming high- this program could use a lot more of that- especially on the Institutional Support front.

Reaction Score
That's two guys. Maybe add Bouyer-Randle, Stafford, Guidone, and Edwards, ZT, and that's your list of good players this staff has recruited. That's not enough. You're not recruiting well until you have a flow of talent... we still have non-FBS players starting football games. Until every player we put on the field is an FBS player, we're not recruiting well.
Oh, I am so sorry that I only mentioned two guys. If they’re only two guys, then let’s bench both of them next game, and see how well we do?!

Reaction Score
If I wanted to root for another team I would but I do follow UCONN athletics or I wouldn't be reading the Boneyard.

My point was that while it was good that UCONN made a bowl game getting to one of the lesser bowls is not that hard to do considering that a .500 record gets a team a bowl game and 65% of the teams go to a bowl.

A team can male a bowl game with less than a .500 record if there are not enough teams that are "bowl eligible"

GO HUSKIES

Reaction Score
UConn would never join the MAC, it’s a Land Grant state university. The BOT would never let it happen as long as the football program remained FBS.
Why not? They put everything else in a conference made up of mid-sized Religious affiliated inner city schools most of whom don’t have baseball, never mind football and most don’t have doctoral programs or if they do they are limited to things like nursing or theology. If we are comfortable with them why wouldn’t we be comfortable in a league with major public universities. Miami and Buffalo are top national universities. Several others are solid too. Of course they are no DePaul or St John’s, or Providence. Good grief!

Reaction Score
Why not? They put everything else in a conference made up of mid-sized Religious affiliated inner city schools most of whom don’t have baseball, never mind football and most don’t have doctoral programs or if they do they are limited to things like nursing or theology. If we are comfortable with them why wouldn’t we be comfortable in a league with major public universities. Miami and Buffalo are top national universities. Several others are solid too. Of course they are no DePaul or St John’s, or Providence. Good grief!
Basketball season starts tonight for UConn and the Big East, the best basketball conference in the country.

I know you're incredibly excited!

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Just asking on how do you know what matters to players? I have a few young men in my neighborhood that started for B1G teams. Absence of nil, to the man, #1 The preference would be to play in a P4 conference, best in one with longstanding rivalries. #2 would be to play against a schedule which includes as many P4 and academies as practical and any local rivalries. Small sample size I know but It was all about competing against nationally recognized football schools. To a man they preferred the indy schedule we play to anything the MAC, CUSA., Sun Belt, etc. has to offer yet not against playing them to fill out a schedule. I agree. To be clear not making you wrong just disagree.
Fair enough. I am basing my perspective on what Mora said. I don't have any first hand knowledge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom