D1 Council Endorses Unlimited Transfers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

D1 Council Endorses Unlimited Transfers

Reaction Score
So what you're really saying is:

"some kids will give up their scholarships, others will lose it, but I have no idea who gave them up compared to who was forced out because that information isn't available to me."

Once the extra COVID year has been exhausted by all who have that option, the number of players unable to find a home should be reduced pretty significantly.

OK, sure. But it's insane to think that a large % of them will have willingly given up a college scholarship. Logically the much higher percentage will have been forced out.

And even you agree (based on your post) that some kids will get pushed out. We can argue the percentage, but that was the point I was making. It will happen. I think it will happen far more often than you, but we agree it will happen.

And sure, exhausting the CV eligibility will help, but it will still happen (as you said above), which is my point. I just think it will happen more than you do.

Reaction Score
Both of these are good points. No doubt some kids will be left out.

Unfortunately, if it becomes apparent after a year or 2 that a kid is not good enough to play D1 basketball, I don’t know that they should be grandfathered an athletic scholarship “just because”.

This is a very different point than:

"Really benefits the student athletes, which is all that should really matter."

And your next point (the continued scholarship) requires money coming from somewhere, and thats always tricky too.

Reaction Score
They need to tie NIL payments to transfers. Maybe incorporate a rule where you can sign an NIL deal at the school you start with but if you transfer you can no longer collect NIL $$$ or it’s capped at a certain small amount. Without a rule like this in place the Kentucky’s/UNC’s will just “buy up” any under the radar guys that blew up after getting to a mid major. There needs to be some financial incentive to stay at your original school, but still have an ability to transfer.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
This is a very different point than:

"Really benefits the student athletes, which is all that should really matter."

And your next point (the continued scholarship) requires money coming from somewhere, and thats always tricky too.
I still believe it (really) benefits student athletes. Just pointed out that it’s also true (very) few will be negatively impacted. No policy is going to ever benefit every single party.

Reaction Score
OK, sure. But it's insane to think that a large % of them will have willingly given up a college scholarship. Logically the much higher percentage will have been forced out.

And even you agree (based on your post) that some kids will get pushed out. We can argue the percentage, but that was the point I was making. It will happen. I think it will happen far more often than you, but we agree it will happen.

And sure, exhausting the CV eligibility will help, but it will still happen (as you said above), which is my point. I just think it will happen more than you do.
But the number of scholarships is finite, the number of kids being left without a scholarship is a really small percentage. For every kid transferring up to a high major school, there's an open scholarship for a kid transferring down a level. If you can play basketball there's a scholarship for you

Reaction Score
Obviously bigger scholarship pools than other sports but these are football stats w/ a month to go - (Portal resets for 8/1/22):

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Bigger scholarship pools than other sports but these are football stats w/ a month to go - (Portal resets for 8/1/22):

So ~ 5% of the total FBS players from last year are without a scholarship?

That’s probably the amount of kids in FBS who aren’t FBS level players.

Reaction Score
So ~ 5% of the total FBS players from last year are without a scholarship?

That’s probably the amount of kids in FBS who aren’t FBS level players.

I read that as almost 20% P5 didn't, and 39% G5 didnt. I may be reading it wrong.

One of us is. Apologies if it's me

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I read that as almost 20% P5 didn't, and 39% G5 didnt. I may be reading that wrong.
There were 11,000+ FBS student athletes last year, of those, 525 currently do not have one / are in the portal.

Edit: when the tweet mentioned 525 from FCS, I assumed he meant FBS because he immediately referenced P/G 5 numbers after that.

Edit 2: FCS might actually be referencing FCS kids trying to move up a level, but even so, the FBS kids are also right around 525 total.

Reaction Score
No, it's not insane to think that a large # of kids assumed they'd be given a similar (at worst) opportunity elsewhere and overplayed their hands given an environment where kids are being given a free year of eligibity.

It's insane to imply that most of the kids in the portal had their scholarships non-renewed. Coaches have to keep relationships, and there's a wide gap between "you will not have a scholarship next year" and "we will honor your scholarship, but we think you're better off finding a new school."

And we have no clue how many were going to transfer without feedback/input from their staff.

See above. Pushed out =/= encouraged to seek other opportunities. Also, players had their scholarships non-renewed in the past. Happens when new coaches take over a football program. Less so in basketball. But it was already something coaches could do.

We agree it will happen. Difference is you're assuming to know the reason behind most of the transfers (or at least a "huge" amount) without having any evidence.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Another evolving dynamic to consider across all college sports: Transfer portal eating away at scholarships for high school players
There are a finite amount of scholarships each year. Players who move up / down don’t remove opportunity for incoming freshmen. The kids who leave FBS via graduation / moving down a level or 2 are filled by freshmen. Exactly like it has always been done before.

Just because the P5 is offering less scholarships to freshmen (as this article suggest), doesn’t mean there are less FBS scholarships to go around.

None of this transfer stuff is taking away rightfully earned spots from anyone. It just simply lubes the system to make it work more fluidly.

The current arbitrary waiver process has clearly only benefited the big schools and their incoming transfers. Cutting that out will give everyone a more even playing field with the transfer process.

Reaction Score
Where is your evidence of this?
It will be tough to get evidence of something that isn't even official yet. but I think it is logical that as transfers proliferate, there will be as many transfers down as up. Coaches at a smaller program will be able to upgrade players who were recruited at a higher level and also add high school freshmen. Hence the small playing time players will get squeezed off their scholarships by down transfers and potentially better high school recruits.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Both of these are good points. No doubt some kids will be left out.

Unfortunately, if it becomes apparent after a year or 2 that a kid is not good enough to play D1 basketball, I don’t know that they should be grandfathered an athletic scholarship “just because”.

Would be great if the NCAA put in some sort of safety net for that. Like if a kid is in the portal and isn’t picked up by X date, as long as their GPA is over 3.XX, the school they were at is required to grant them an academic scholarship to complete their studies.

That way every student in good academic standing can at least make the choice of playing down (D2/3) with potentially less financial aid or continuing their education for free. Also would hold the schools accountable for recruiting over players / forcing out transfers.
That’s kind of the way things are now. The number of kids who are “forced out“ is pretty small. What the portal does is encourages kids to forfeit their scholarship. Hey, everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side and “surely another coach would see the inherent value in me if I left”. By the time it’s August and they’re stuck in the portal without an offer it’s too late they’ve given up their scholarship. We are seeing that happen in increasing numbers.

That said, I can’t come up with a reasonable basis in which schools should have the option to drop kids but kids can’t leave schools, so the existing portal system and unlimited transfers seems like it’s on its way. I have a healthy skepticism about it, but I think our coaches are bright enough to take advantage of it.

Reaction Score
No, it's not insane to think that a large # of kids assumed they'd be given a similar (at worst) opportunity elsewhere and overplayed their hands given an environment where kids are being given a free year of eligibity.

It's insane to imply that most of the kids in the portal had their scholarships non-renewed. Coaches have to keep relationships, and there's a wide gap between "you will not have a scholarship next year" and "we will honor your scholarship, but we think you're better off finding a new school."

And we have no clue how many were going to transfer without feedback/input from their staff.

No, i'm not saying they will be pushed out by their coaches. I'm saying they will enter the portal, and not have anywhere to go when the music stops.

I definitely don't think coaches will boot many kids...that's recruiting/career suicide.

There just won't be a spot left for many players from players coming from schools below the P5 level. Recruiting, even transfer recruiting, is done long before the commitment.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Transfer without penalty is already here. We just had 4 kids transfer out and brought in 4 transfers and we're all still here with this hobby.

I think we all realize it's now just pro sports with free agency and all the money and we continue on with the hobby. If the 2 mega conferences decide to ruin college basketball by destroying the tournament I'll find a new hobby, I think a lot of us will.
What if the 2 mega conferences create their own joint mega championship but also participate in the regular open tournament?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
How is that bad? What if that was your kid?

Would you want them stuck at URI because of some bogus transfer rules, or would you want him to have a shot to play big time CBB (and maybe have a shot at an NBA career)?

Or what if your kid was buried on the depth chart at UConn without a chance at playing time. Do you want them stuck there, or have the ability to go somewhere and use their eligibility actually playing?

Really benefits the student athletes, which is all that should really matter.
You are talking a rare or seldom situation vs how the portal is being used now and the dark side none of us know in the future

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Since an athletes scholarship can not be renewed annually, an athlete should be able to transfer, annually. That just seems fair and reasonable.

That said, this announcement is de facto free agency which is going to change the face of college athletics as we understand it. If you, like me, enjoyed watching kids develop over four years, you may want to think about getting a new hobby because I doubt we will be seeing that very much anymore. People like to talk about how fans “root for the laundry”. Well, when transfer without penalty comes into being that is going to be the norm because kids are going to be moving all over the place.

Don’t get me wrong, as I said at the start, if schools can cancel the kids scholarship annually, it’s only fair that the kids should be able to do the same and move on to another institution. I just don’t like the impact it’s going to have on the sport.

On the bright side, I think this benefits Connecticut football considerably. We have P5 facilities and a P5 coach, coupled with name recognition. Decent players who might not consider us out of high school, but who are buried in the depth chart may well be willing to give us a look.
Fair, yes. But let’s stop calling this anything but what it is. A pretty ugly way for college sports to proceed. It really underscores the Seinfeld view that people root for laundry. A totally new definition of “program”. It’s more like just roster filling.

Reaction Score
No, i'm not saying they will be pushed out by their coaches. I'm saying they will enter the portal, and not have anywhere to go when the music stops.

I definitely don't think coaches will boot many kids...that's recruiting/career suicide.

There just won't be a spot left for many players from players coming from schools below the P5 level. Recruiting, even transfer recruiting, is done long before the commitment.
Then they aren't "losing" their scholarships.

They are giving them up with the hopes they get a better offer (however they define "better").

You don't "lose" what you voluntarily release.

If you quit your job before you have another one lined up, you didn't "lose" your job. You quit.

Reaction Score
It will be tough to get evidence of something that isn't even official yet. but I think it is logical that as transfers proliferate, there will be as many transfers down as up. Coaches at a smaller program will be able to upgrade players who were recruited at a higher level and also add high school freshmen. Hence the small playing time players will get squeezed off their scholarships by down transfers and potentially better high school recruits.
Again, that already happens.

Reaction Score
My takeaway is that if UConn is going to spend a ton on recruiting, might as well start going after one-and-done (to NBA) guys instead of one-and-done (to your competition).

Jay Wright was probably enjoying an adult beverage and chuckling after reading that.
I have a slightly different take, but same concept. Why bother recruiting a single high school kid at all? Build a team every year of proven commodities.

Another thought is we should just have a draft of players each year. Duke gets the first pick. Then the SEC winner, then Duke again, then the B10 champ, then UNC then Duke…

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, it will never happen, but it is really past time for universities to start acting like universities and either shut down these programs and start over or totally spin them off and collect annual royalties for using the school names and mascots and such. Reverse NIL if you will.

This is no longer college athletics. And spare me the everybody used to do it speches. They didn’t. To me the real culprits in this mess were the NBA with their 1-done rule originally put in place to protect older hanger on players, and the NCAA for not cracking down very quickly. And the NCAA for micro managing things Like dictating food choices and buying a kid a hot dog. Basically, when there are law firms specializing in NCAA rule books, it has gone way too far.

Finally there are still folks who play the game for the sake of the game. They play at places like Trinity and Wesleyan and Coast Guard and Southern Connecticut. The guys aren’t going to the NBA or the NFL, but they play well and hard.

Reaction Score
As someone who generally always supports the students over NCAA leadership, I like this in theory.

There's a million scenarios around what this means for NILs, parity, "fairness", etc...and I'm sure these will be addressed with time. But on the surface level, I don't see why students shouldn't be able to go play somewhere else if they want.

My biggest concern is if guys get bad advice from someone or get caught up in noise, leave their program, and can't find a new place to play. Not sure what the solution to that could be, but would hate to see players make a bad decision and then end up not being able to play anywhere. We have to remember that a lot of these players are teenagers and won't always make the wisest decisions.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My biggest concern is if guys get bad advice from someone or get caught up in noise, leave their program, and can't find a new place to play. Not sure what the solution to that could be, but would hate to see players make a bad decision and then end up not being able to play anywhere. We have to remember that a lot of these players are teenagers and won't always make the wisest decisions.
If that's the biggest concern, then approving this is a no-brainer. If you enter the portal and don't get an offer, I'm thinking your future isn't in hoop. It's sad maybe if a player makes a poor decision, it's not a tragedy. The old way, you have coaches like Martelli screwing players for no good reason.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom