CW more aggressive | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CW more aggressive

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
CW obviously thrives in the uptempo environment and that has to be the UConn wheelhouse game for this year at least. As Geno said post-game:

“After a while, the pace just got them where they weren’t getting any shots that they’re normally getting,” Auriemma said. “We changed up our defenses a couple times. We were just way more aggressive than we were last night. ... People scout us and they watch us play and they see us play in person, but until they get out on the court, it’s a tough adjustment.”

UConn women close out Paradise Jam by blowing out Purdue

It's simple really: get out in front - comfortably early, get starters a blow, stretch that lead, another starter rest ... repeat in 2d half. And find 2 more from thebench who can score a few points and defend.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
“I got really mad at her during the game and she did exactly what I knew she would do,” Auriemma said. “She got this look on her face like she wanted to punch me, and I knew someone was going to pay for that. I knew it wasn't going to be me, it was going to be somebody out on the court.

Best quote of the day!! :D

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I wonder how many UConn players have wanted to punch Geno...:rolleyes:

Might prefer doing this............................

Geno.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Williams looks to have the moxie, and the ability to take over a game, that we've lacked in the Final Four the last two years. She could very well be the difference-maker, regardless of what other weaknesses we have.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
maybe it's time for another angry Russian.....couldn't hurt..

But you have to be careful... ask Geno.

"We should've been undefeated that year. We lost one game to Tennessee at home (by one point). I got mad at Svetlana (Abrosimova) at shoot-around (practice)in the morning. She knew I was mad at her and she was mad at me. At the end of the game, we passed her the ball. She never passes up the shot and we were going to win if she just shot it. She passed it to a kid who wasn't ready for it and we lost. She kind of looked at me like…we still talk about it to this day, her and me. "

University of Connecticut women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma takes CenterStage

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Kerry Bascom once related that she really wanted to punch him after he suggested she should lose weight.

Reaction Score
Williams is a fantastic young player, I’m not seeing the Sims comparison, maybe because she’s a lefty? If so she could be compatible to Mitchell she looks a little more like Diamond Deshields to me.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some nice after game comments from CW at

Women's Basketball: Huskies Rout No. 16 DePaul 99-63

“I’m definitely more active today,” Williams said after the game. “I forget what game it was Coach made a comment. He asked if I even played in the game and that kind of stayed in my head. So I don’t want him to ever have to say that ever again. Me being more active is a focal point.”

Reaction Score
Christyn had an excellent game. She continues to allow the game to come to her. I like the way she difts to the corner and awaits the pass. Then she sets and bingo! We've seen KML and Lou do it over the years. The offense lends itself to those open threes from the corner. More is to come!
Based on limited data, I suspect KW will become one of the best one on one players. She is clearly deferring to the Seniors, but she has the quickness and strength to get her own shots as needed. Suspect the ND game, with likely focus on KLS, will be a time we need this skill.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Based on limited data, I suspect KW will become one of the best one on one players. She is clearly deferring to the Seniors, but she has the quickness and strength to get her own shots as needed. Suspect the ND game, with likely focus on KLS, will be a time we need this skill.

Agreed. Kemba Walker is already doing a great job. ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But you have to be careful... ask Geno.

"We should've been undefeated that year. We lost one game to Tennessee at home (by one point). I got mad at Svetlana (Abrosimova) at shoot-around (practice)in the morning. She knew I was mad at her and she was mad at me. At the end of the game, we passed her the ball. She never passes up the shot and we were going to win if she just shot it. She passed it to a kid who wasn't ready for it and we lost. She kind of looked at me like…we still talk about it to this day, her and me. "

University of Connecticut women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma takes CenterStage
I was there for that interview. It was a blast.

“I’m definitely more active today,” Williams said after the game. “I forget what game it was Coach made a comment. He asked if I even played in the game and that kind of stayed in my head. So I don’t want him to ever have to say that ever again. Me being more active is a focal point.”

Ah, the master motivator at work again. CW is perfect clay for him to work his magic.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Agreed. Kemba Walker is already doing a great job. ;)
Yeah, I was scratching my head over that one, too. I was wondering if Meg or Christyn had a nickname I didn't know about.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wanted to mention a CW characteristic that may ultimately propel her to the legendary status she aspires to attain. She is extremely responsive to coaching and criticism. In the game last night CW committed a turnover on what should have been an easy kick to the wing for KLS splash. KLS correctly got on her, the legend responded positively. On two of the next three UCONN possessions it was CW assisting on KLS baskets. This kid just gets it.

Reaction Score
Wanted to mention a CW characteristic that may ultimately propel her to the legendary status she aspires to attain. She is extremely responsive to coaching and criticism. In the game last night CW committed a turnover on what should have been an easy kick to the wing for KLS splash. KLS correctly got on her, the legend responded positively. On two of the next three UCONN possessions it was CW assisting on KLS baskets. This kid just gets it.
I saw that too, KLS went right to CW and gave some "instruction". This confirms what KLS has said in other interviews about her and Pheesa's roles as leaders...to not let anything, even the smallest detail, go unattended. Perfect time to learn, during OOC sked and before games matter most. I love it!!!;):cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom