Cuse Thoughts | The Boneyard

Cuse Thoughts

Reaction Score
Ugly ugly game. Sloppy, both teams actually one just made more shots and FT's, and they actually rebounded like they should against a small lineup.

Ollie - Coached his butt off. But early on he needed to see the 3 guard set wasn't working and bring in someone, anyone to get a rebound. Good news is they didn't quit, bad news is Cuse helped them stay within reasonable distance but they never took advantage because they made stupid play after stupid play. You get what you recruit and it's high time to recruit better leaders and smarter players. Obviously that may be too late.

Jalen - Sorry but this guy drives me crazy. Yeah he can score blah blah blah but he makes pitiful decisions for a leader. He had only 3 TO's but several other awful passes that were tipped OOB's or deflected back to us. He is in no way shape or form close to an NBA player now, not sure he will be. NBA scorer? Maybe but the whole game needs to come together. For those wanting the ball in his hands and not Gilberts, seriously? Kid could be good, but it's all about him for now. The cute passes, the smiling when he makes shots even though their down 10 - can't be like that. He scored but his game wasn't all that good tonight.

Terry - Not tough enough for me, needs to get stronger go to the hoop and finish. Too many 10-14 footers he didn't take and instead dribbled in too deep needs to catch and shoot more. His handle is not good at all and his passing worst. Listen I thought he played hard tonight and I like his attitude because he doesn't showboat it like the other leader, but he needs to be more for us, much more.

CV - He is what he is, not a good 1st half at all but then he was shot out of a bazooka, energy and scoring points. Still too whacked on D, never stays home but gotta love what he brings.

AA - For me he still works hard and he plays D when called upon, did a nice job on Battle for a stretch 2nd half. But the more minutes he plays the less impact he will have. The fact Gilbert is not out there eating some of those minutes gives us time to see some of the weaknesses. But he's a great kid and plays his butt off can't complian that's what we've been given again.

Cobb - He needs to get back in shape, or at least better shape because he has tools. He shouldered himself into the zone and scored nicely 3 times, one pretty left handed early. He boxes out, takes up space and rebounds but he needs to help on D and be quicker period. Like what he brings though.

Bench - Not their fault didn't get much burn, not sure why but would've loved a little more Whaley and Carlton as well as Polley. Tyler needs to play with more confidence but for now it's obvious he's a whipping boy and that sucks.

They were awful first half showed some guts played hard but still never really got back in it even when handed the opportunity. I don't like CV and AA allowing open field dunks either, hard fouls please have some pride they're laughing at you during showtime, take someone's hands out make them go the line with a little paining their wrists.

On to Coppin State before it possibly gets really ugly.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
When you say recruit better players exactly what rank recruiting class are you looking for? Second question; Do you believe we have a player development problem and who is responsible for that? Last question, Do you believe the score was an accurate representation of the play on the court?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I agree with everything you said. What really hurts was hearing Shulman say “Cuse is the 7th best team in the ACC so you know there’s a spot for them in the tournament.” Okay. If they’re the 7th best ACC team that probably makes them the 5th best AAC team which means no tournament. DUMB

Reaction Score
Ugly ugly game. Sloppy, both teams actually one just made more shots and FT's, and they actually rebounded like they should against a small lineup.

Ollie - Coached his butt off. But early on he needed to see the 3 guard set wasn't working and bring in someone, anyone to get a rebound. Good news is they didn't quit, bad news is Cuse helped them stay within reasonable distance but they never took advantage because they made stupid play after stupid play. You get what you recruit and it's high time to recruit better leaders and smarter players. Obviously that may be too late.

Jalen - Sorry but this guy drives me crazy. Yeah he can score blah blah blah but he makes pitiful decisions for a leader. He had only 3 TO's but several other awful passes that were tipped OOB's or deflected back to us. He is in no way shape or form close to an NBA player now, not sure he will be. NBA scorer? Maybe but the whole game needs to come together. For those wanting the ball in his hands and not Gilberts, seriously? Kid could be good, but it's all about him for now. The cute passes, the smiling when he makes shots even though their down 10 - can't be like that. He scored but his game wasn't all that good tonight.

Terry - Not tough enough for me, needs to get stronger go to the hoop and finish. Too many 10-14 footers he didn't take and instead dribbled in too deep needs to catch and shoot more. His handle is not good at all and his passing worst. Listen I thought he played hard tonight and I like his attitude because he doesn't showboat it like the other leader, but he needs to be more for us, much more.

CV - He is what he is, not a good 1st half at all but then he was shot out of a bazooka, energy and scoring points. Still too whacked on D, never stays home but gotta love what he brings.

AA - For me he still works hard and he plays D when called upon, did a nice job on Battle for a stretch 2nd half. But the more minutes he plays the less impact he will have. The fact Gilbert is not out there eating some of those minutes gives us time to see some of the weaknesses. But he's a great kid and plays his butt off can't complian that's what we've been given again.

Cobb - He needs to get back in shape, or at least better shape because he has tools. He shouldered himself into the zone and scored nicely 3 times, one pretty left handed early. He boxes out, takes up space and rebounds but he needs to help on D and be quicker period. Like what he brings though.

Bench - Not their fault didn't get much burn, not sure why but would've loved a little more Whaley and Carlton as well as Polley. Tyler needs to play with more confidence but for now it's obvious he's a whipping boy and that sucks.

They were awful first half showed some guts played hard but still never really got back in it even when handed the opportunity. I don't like CV and AA allowing open field dunks either, hard fouls please have some pride they're laughing at you during showtime, take someone's hands out make them go the line with a little paining their wrists.

Mau I respect you but I can't agree that KO coached well tonight. I mean the interrior defense in the first half was the worst I had seen in UCONN in so long and the substitution pattern sucked especially for the bigs. Also, why 3 guards against a zone when none of them can shoot from outside.

Reaction Score
Mau I respect you but I can't agree that KO coached well tonight. I mean the interrior defense in the first half was the worst I had seen in UCONN in so long and the substitution pattern sucked especially for the bigs. Also, why 3 guards against a zone when none of them can shoot from outside.

Did I say "well"? I missed that. Coached his butt off and well to me are different. I appreciated his passion is where I was going, I didn't appreciate every in bounds going to half court with one a breakaway steal.

The way they played he coached with enthusiasm but not well enough.

Reaction Score
Larrier is not a 3 or a 4. Not sure what he is. As a stretch 4 he should be using he quickness and shooting to overmatch bigger 4’s. Except he can’t dribble and takes bad shots. He had 2 rebounds tonight. Our starting 4 who played the whole game had 2 rebounds. He is not tough enough to help on the boards against good teams. Also he is terrible on d. Our bigs end up fouling a lot helping out which hurts. This team needs Terry to be a star and he just hasn’t been the X factor everyone thought. He is easy to defend.

Reaction Score
Did I say "well"? I missed that.
Well you said coached his butt off. I don't call allowing for that d and bad lineups coaching his butt off. Though it is all ones perception and UCONN has limited options on the roster right now.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

I agree with most of the assessment with the exception of the bench. I don't think any of those players are ready based on what I've seen from them. Polley looked lost. Understandable, since this is his first year and the biggest venue he's ever played in.

We have a few players that are new to college hoops and need to grow. Unfortunately, we need them to grow like....yesterday. The only seniors we have on this team are two transfers who arguably have never played high-level hoops. Jalen is our leader, and I'm not even sure he's comfortable in that role. Terry shows up and disappears at will, as does CV. And the rest are literally all freshman or first year players (like MD).

I still feel this team will be a heck of a lot better in a month. And I still feel this team will make the tourney. But there are going to be a hell of a lot of growing pains because there's a lot of growing that needs to happen...

Reaction Score
I agree with most of the assessment with the exception of the bench. I don't think any of those players are ready based on what I've seen from them. Polley looked lost. Understandable, since this is his first year and the biggest venue he's ever played in.

We have a few players that are new to college hoops and need to grow. Unfortunately, we need them to grow like....yesterday. The only seniors we have on this team are two transfers who arguably have never played high-level hoops. Jalen is our leader, and I'm not even sure he's comfortable in that role. Terry shows up and disappears at will, as does CV. And the rest are literally all freshman or first year players (like MD).

I still feel this team will be a heck of a lot better in a month. And I still feel this team will make the tourney. But there are going to be a hell of a lot of growing pains because there's a lot of growing that needs to happen...

I agree on they're not ready but you can't bring them in, one mistake and out, never to be seen again or at least till garbage time. At least not this year when we still need to find some more players who can contribute eventually. Can't play those guys that many minutes and can't get out rebounded that bad every night either. The 3 guard line up needs some rest.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I agree on they're not ready but you can't bring them in, one mistake and out, never to be seen again or at least till garbage time. At least not this year when we still need to find some more players who can contribute eventually. Can't play those guys that many minutes and can't get out rebounded that bad every night either. The 3 guard line up needs some rest.

I agree that the 3 guard lineup needs a rest, but you can't bring in players like DO and Polley and Whaley for more than just a couple of minutes. They aren't ready for it. Unless you're thinking to get them maximum minutes with an eye toward 2018. I've never ever ever thought that way and never will. You play for today. You put your best guys out there and you try to win. The bench isn't capable of providing the level of play to win right now (with the exception of CV if he doesn't start). They'll grow. But they can't grow on the court in a big game down points, because we just end up down more points...

Reaction Score
When the only real “good news” is that the team didn’t quit against a marginally decent opponent, that’s a sign that things have become pretty bad.
Well it is something to build on at least. LOL!

Reaction Score
Observations:

1.) SUs length gave us fits - from the obvious like lack of rebounding and not finishing at the rim to the less obvious like tipped passes (the one from JA on the break that would’ve cut the lead to 6 particularly hurt).

2.) Uconn played hard throughout and could’ve packed it in multiple times when they got down 15. There is simply a talent and athleticism gap. We don’t have any versatile 6-6 to 6-8 guys that can make plays and SU had 3 tonight. Coming into this season I thought TL would be one but he’s just a jump shooter.

3.) I’m not a KO defender but he also coached hard all game. Refs made some bad calls but we seemed to get a few after KO went after them at the beginning of H2 (I think after Cobb steal/foul call).

4.) Cobb is very skilled. Never thought I’d say this but our offense looked best with him in the middle of the zone making decisions and starting the break with long outlets. Would have liked to see some high low with him and Diarra or even Carlton and less of Anderson. Foul trouble be damned. Anderson is limited and we needed more size tonight - Ollie didn’t adjust.

5.). Nova was impressive as hell. They are going to wipe the floor with us.

6.) Once again, Uconn fans topped Cuse fans in numbers and volume. No surprise there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

For my money, Jalen and Terry were our two worst players tonight. Jalen because he truly looks like he could give a stuff and Terry because he is just DUMB and SOFT. If our two best players are going to play like that all year, we will lose more games than we win .

Reaction Score
Jalen is talented and is good enough to win us a lot of games in our conference if he is playing right. However, we would be much better served if Jalen was our second best player instead of our best. Someone with his ability to get into the lane and be crafty should be able to get to the foul line.

Terry can not be trusted to make positive contributions against good teams...well I'm not even sure if Syracuse is good, but athletic big boy teams. He is just not a very good player and not an elite athlete (after the injury?). He couldn't even get his shot off in the paint a few times because he was overwhelmed by the size, strength and athleticism of Syracuse. He can't handle the ball, obviously. I really hope I am wrong but I just can't see him making big plays in important games. He is just kind of there to get his 15 points and that's it. Again, I hope I am wrong about him as the season goes on.

Anderson can guard but with Gilbert out, it sucks that he has to play so many minutes.

So far this team's identity is of starting off games or going through long periods of being "lethargic." Vital seems to have the opposite problem. I think he gets too pumped and too anxious. He did some nice things though and proved he could penetrate without being out of control.

Cobb can be a nice player for us. He got screwed by the refs a couple times at least. Its nice to have a front court player that actually has a feel for the game.

Mama made some mistakes but he plays hard and we should expect some growing pains with him. You can tell he cares.

Polley looked like he didn't belong physically. I've noticed Ollie gets on him and holds him accountable for defensive mistakes, but I wish he would do the same for some of the other guys when they fall asleep.

It would have been nice to have an athlete like Sid Wilson in this game.

Overall, this team has some talent but not enough talent to win games against decent teams if there are multiple careless plays on offense or instances of falling asleep on defense. That is what happened against Syracuse.

Reaction Score
Was that Benedict and his wife a couple of rows behind the UConn bench last night?

Reaction Score
Is there a reason Ollie does not play Cobb and Diarria together?

I'm not concerned with any fouls as long as they grow in their roles and improve over the season. Carlton and David O, are serviceable enough to spell them or relieve them if foul troubles arise. Also since we are down to 3 guards he can go back to playing 2 guards allowing more rest for Jalen? I also think with the above two, Larrier can be spelled with a 3 guard lineup with Jalen taking the 3 duties (for a while). Also its obvious Anderson is our best defensive player, imagine him assigned to the opponents best guard and he's rested.

Lastly give Polley, Kwintin and Whaley a few shared minutes so they can at least get some experience, particularly come conference play. They need a little burn time and can at least give someone a minute or two and perhaps play strong D even if fouling. No bench player that I can see has really separated himself from the others except Carlton.

Just saying Cobb at the 5, Diarria at the 4, Larrier at the 3 with Jalen and Vital/Anderson at the guards.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was that Benedict and his wife a couple of rows behind the UConn bench last night?

Yes it was. His frustration is growing as it should. Guess it took the bright lights of MSG to magnify the disaster he has on his hands.

Reaction Score
Terry's game is limited on offense because he has no handle at all. He has the athleticism to drive by other 4s and some 3s, but his inability to dribble takes away any advantage.

Jalen needs to figure out if he is going to try to dominate or just fill spots. He seems to have chosen the latter, but the team needs him to be the former.

I love CV. If Jalen had his fire from start to finish, it would be a different season.

This team is young, and as painful as it is to watch them lose, I will judge them more at the end of next month. KO needs to find his starting 5 and stick with it. Assume AG isn't coming back and move forward. This team has talent, but no experience, and seemingly no plan. I am sure KO has a blueprint, in fact, I believe he has several. Time to pick one and build. Set a rotation and work it hell or high water.

Reaction Score
Yes it was. His frustration is growing as it should. Guess it took the bright lights of MSG to magnify the disaster he has on his hands.

Hmmm, saw a different KO with 100% energy the whole game, hardly ever sat with that frown between Chill and Kill. Was hoping the Garden Party excited him and brought him back but instead maybe he was auditioning? Didn't say he was coaching well 3rd, said he had passion or it looked that way. But I did notice him turn around to energize the bench so someone could see his positive vibe, hope I'm not right but AD David Benedict could've made him into someone he should be ALL the time.

Not good if I am thinking right.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
For my money, Jalen and Terry were our two worst players tonight. Jalen because he truly looks like he could give a stuff and Terry because he is just DUMB and SOFT. If our two best players are going to play like that all year, we will lose more games than we win .
Jalen scored easily when he tried but was a ghost or outwardly bad too many times. So dang frustrating.

Reaction Score
Terry's game is limited on offense because he has no handle at all. He has the athleticism to drive by other 4s and some 3s, but his inability to dribble takes away any advantage.

Jalen needs to figure out if he is going to try to dominate or just fill spots. He seems to have chosen the latter, but the team needs him to be the former.

I love CV. If Jalen had his fire from start to finish, it would be a different season.

This team is young, and as painful as it is to watch them lose, I will judge them more at the end of next month. KO needs to find his starting 5 and stick with it. Assume AG isn't coming back and move forward. This team has talent, but no experience, and seemingly no plan. I am sure KO has a blueprint, in fact, I believe he has several. Time to pick one and build. Set a rotation and work it hell or high water.
Cuse is younger than us. It’s not about age it’s talent.

Reaction Score
Cuse is younger than us. It’s not about age it’s talent.

Younger in age, but not really in experience. Take our roster. Put a check mark next to each name that has played 10 or more games at the high D-I level. Then make a second column of guys who have started 10 such games in one season.

But no, it isn't all about age. I don't believe I said it was.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom