Cuse out for 2013 for extra 3 mil | The Boneyard

Cuse out for 2013 for extra 3 mil

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I would cash that check soon if I was the Big East, before Syracuse changes their mind.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why let them out for $3M? West Virginia has pegged the price of honoring a contract at 20 mil for a two year early exit. Now if they want to pony up $10 mil, I'm good to go.

Reaction Score
If this is true, I'm sure the price went down substantially because the BE has 25 teams coming in that year. When WVU left, the BE position was much more precarious.

Reaction Score
If this is true, I'm sure the price went down substantially because the BE has 25 teams coming in that year. When WVU left, the BE position was much more precarious.

This.

We just don't need Pitt and Syracuse in 2013. We did need WVU this fall.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If SU and Pitt stayed for 2013-14 that would be 22 total teams (14 football schools) splitting the media payout, whatever it is. Releasing SU and Pitt means the media payout is split among 20 total teams (12 football schools). If we stay the extra year, all the other teams get a lower media payout than if we leave in 2013. Seems the Big East should be happy to see us, and Pitt, leave July 2013 because it means a bigger per school payout for the remaining schools.

This line of thought, if not the actual number, makes sense. I wanted to hold them in in the hope that the new contract and ACC instability might give them pause to reconsider their decision. In a perfect world I'd rather be playing east coast teams but that ship has not only sailed but apparently is now over the horizon.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That is basically going to be the end result - Pitt and SU will pony up a couple of extra bucks to get off the sinking ship before their pants get wet.

Reaction Score
This line of thought, if not the actual number, makes sense. I wanted to hold them in in the hope that the new contract and ACC instability might give them pause to reconsider their decision. In a perfect world I'd rather be playing east coast teams but that ship has not only sailed but apparently is now over the horizon.
+1

They haven't anchored down in acc land yet. But.......

Poor Big East leadership.

Reaction Score
That is basically going to be the end result - Pitt and SU will pony up a couple of extra bucks to get off the sinking ship before their pants get wet.
it'll be interesting if what they think is a life boat is actually The Titanic disguised as HMS ACC.
Grab some popcorn because these next few months could be very entertaining as everyone jockey's for a spot in the new world order of college football.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't let them out. Not a chance. Not for $3 million, not for $20 million, not for $100 million (well maybe for $100 million I would think about it). One of the points agree to in the West Virginia settlement, and marinatto was very clear on this as part of the settlement, was that all parties agreed that the 27 months requirement was legitimate and the Big East could have held WVU to it. They voluntarily elected not to in exchange for cash. Syracuse & Pitt want to leave, they can, just after 27 months notice...which by the way, they agreed to give when they announced they were leaving...And I also hope they enjoy playing back to road games in San Diego and Boise two weeks apart...Back to back they might be tempted to stay, but they won't stay two weeks...

Reaction Score
I wouldn't let them out. Not a chance. Not for $3 million, not for $20 million, not for $100 million (well maybe for $100 million I would think about it). One of the points agree to in the West Virginia settlement, and marinatto was very clear on this as part of the settlement, was that all parties agreed that the 27 months requirement was legitimate and the Big East could have held WVU to it. They voluntarily elected not to in exchange for cash. Syracuse & Pitt want to leave, they can, just after 27 months notice...which by the way, they agreed to give when they announced they were leaving...And I also hope they enjoy playing back to road games in San Diego and Boise two weeks apart...Back to back they might be tempted to stay, but they won't stay two weeks...

There was a case to be made for "irreparable harm" when WVU left, because they were leaving the Big East with seven teams and without its flagship football program on little notice. Given the Big East expansion happening in '13--'14, there is not a case to be made that the conference is irreparably harmed by Pitt and syracuse leaving a year early. None. No case. You could not get an injunction. Period.

So there is nothing to do but negotiate damages or try the case on damages. You can't make a business honor a commitment out of spite -- you need to be irreparably harmed by their failure to do so. Otherwise, monetary damages is the only option.

Reaction Score
Let them go. The idea of a lame duck team winning the conference championship as it heads out the exits makes me ill.

Reaction Score
I somewhat discount this...who's making Big East decisions sans a Commissioner. I don't think the interim guy would advocate any position on this matter.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Let them go. The idea of a lame duck team winning the conference championship as it heads out the exits makes me ill.
No chance of that.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Legal issues aside, but as fans, if we can get an extra year of hoops with Syracuse and Pitt, then why not?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Sounds like a potential Bret Hart situation. Maybe we can get CT resident Vince McMahon on board as a consultant to come up with a contingency plan just in case. We can call it "The Providence Screw Job."

Reaction Score
I somewhat discount this...who's making Big East decisions sans a Commissioner. I don't think the interim guy would advocate any position on this matter.

The commissioner didn't make decisions before. It's the presidents of the universities (or the ADs if the power is delegated to them).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom