Cuse fan here: Farewell to a respected rival. | The Boneyard

Cuse fan here: Farewell to a respected rival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As many of you know, I've often posted here since I have family members who are UConn alums.
I just got the news from them earlier this evening, and although I wasn't surprised, it still brought on some melancholy.
Its the end of an era, and as much as the OBEast is seemingly dying, the coaches, personalities, and characters that dominated the stage are departing as well. Indeed, we at the Cuse know Boeheim's time is coming...but, what can you do?
Jim Calhoun is a great, great HC, and his legacy will be felt forever in CBB.
All the best to the crusty, ornery, piss-n-vinegar SOB.
Godspeed.

Reaction Score
i wouldnt be surprised if boheim coaches his last year next year and leaves before the move to the ACC

Reaction Score
As many of you know, I've often posted here since I have family members who are UConn alums.
I just got the news from them earlier this evening, and although I wasn't surprised, it still brought on some melancholy.
Its the end of an era, and as much as the OBEast is seemingly dying, the coaches, personalities, and characters that dominated the stage are departing as well. Indeed, we at the Cuse know Boeheim's time is coming...but, what can you do?
Godspeed.

Well stated Doc especially the "piss-n-vinegar SOB" LOL...........nice job!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thanks Doc. Nice post. Our fanbases butt heads from time to time but we've share a some great games and share the history of once great league. Wish you guys the best in the ACC.

Reaction Score
It's funny how many Cuse, LVille and other fan bases, if you take a quick look, use the words "sleaze", "biggest cheater" and such as they say good riddance. So many people who watch games and are so clueless about what they write it's hilarious. They all have their little history of "recruiting violations" and UConn has had theirs but nothing to ever use consistently with the word cheat!

Sorry Doc because your post was classy as hell, but over there there is some hammering of JC and always was......funny thing is UConn's program is significant and has a "horde" and ESPN in their backyard so they are constantly ridiculed in the media.....noone cares outside of Syracuse about the Orange so little things like JB knowing his assistant coach's wife is banging his players are swept under the rug...........but JC's a cheater LOL

UConn carried the BE banner probably the longest time without much support when teams like Syracuse, ST Johns and GTown struggled in the post season.........it was without "cheating" and without many AA's like the others who were not playing their part in keeping the BE what it was at one time.......for this is why JC is the best coach in BE history bar none!! They can argue until their eyes turn orange, they're wrong and they are simply very jealous of what he accomplished. And that's fun to read!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Agree on that.........a lot less Doc's over there than dasher's and rrllbees who are just morons with a keyboard!!

There is some seething hate going on over there regarding UConn and it's great coach. Most of them could screw Mrs. Fine...if they haven't already.

Reaction Score
There is some seething hate going on over there regarding UConn and it's great coach. Most of them could screw Mrs. Fine...if they haven't already.

It's funny, they post like they are leaving the Big East as its conquering hero. This after the most embarrassing season ever if it wasn't for Penn State.

Reaction Score
It's funny, they post like they are leaving the Big East as its conquering hero. This after the most embarrassing season ever if it wasn't for Penn State.

There's more "vermont" years in their history than carmello's that's for sure!! They were the best with PC in the Northeast in the 60's - early 80's but nothing close to the Huskies in actual success thereafter.........

UConn because of JC much closer to the likes of UNC, Indiana, Kentucky, UCLA than they ever were or will be!!! They hate that.............:D

Reaction Score
Godspeed.

Nice to hear from a decent cuse fan. Over on their board right now the jealousy train is moving even faster than usual. Nasty remarks there. When JB's time comes I for one will show the respect he deserves.

Reaction Score
Same here Ricky.....not a huge JB fan but a fan of college hoops and he has a place in college hoops history without a doubt.....no bashing of the man, seemingly a gentleman off the court!

Key word you used is "jealousy" and it's running rampant over there as we speak....funny though!

Reaction Score
It's also funny how everyone conveniently forgets JB had Cuse banned from the NCAA tourney for 2 years for recruiting violations. Cheater!!!

Reaction Score
Godspeed.

Congratulations to Jim Calhoun on a great career. There's no getting around it, the guy was a great, great coach. He earned his plaque in the Hall of Fame, and that third national championship with Kemba and the Miracles was one of the great runs of recent times. He has given you guys a great legacy, and will be one tough act to follow. To me, he was a hated rival, much as Cuse fans hated John Thompson the elder, but that's what makes for great rivalries. Yesterday was one tough day for you guys, and as much as I like to say that we're happy to see you stranded on the Island of Misfit Toys, you really are our current biggest rivals, and we'll likely be seeing you again one of these days in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Jim Calhoun on a great career. There's no getting around it, the guy was a great, great coach. He earned his plaque in the Hall of Fame, and that third national championship with Kemba and the Miracles was one of the great runs of recent times. He has given you guys a great legacy, and will be one tough act to follow. To me, he was a hated rival, much as Cuse fans hated John Thompson the elder, but that's what makes for great rivalries. Yesterday was one tough day for you guys, and as much as I like to say that we're happy to see you stranded on the Island of Misfit Toys, you really are our current biggest rivals, and we'll likely be seeing you again one of these days in the ACC.
Thanks Matt. It's a real shame about some of the comment that goes on on these boards. Some people love to unload crap on other programs (especially rival ones) when they can do so anonymously.

Reaction Score
Good job Doc and IMatt.........wrong time to bash as most of your cohorts feel is best!

Reaction Score
There's more "vermont" years in their history than carmello's that's for sure!! They were the best with PC in the Northeast in the 60's - early 80's but nothing close to the Huskies in actual success thereafter.........

UConn because of JC much closer to the likes of UNC, Indiana, Kentucky, UCLA than they ever were or will be!!! They hate that.............:D

Sadly, yes, this is true. We've had 3 or 4 really disappointing flame outs when we had great teams capable of deep runs. I'd say that Calhoun is a superior tournament coach to Boeheim, by an undeniable margin. Yes, there is envy on our parts.

When Georgetown went down in the Esherick years, we felt like we were going to rule the Big East, and you guys simply leap-frogged over us to become the new top dog. I think Boeheim has gotten a lot better as a tournament coach in the last 10 years or so, and he may have another title up his sleeve, which would close the gap a little between where our programs stand in terms of recent (past 20 years) history.

Good luck to Kevin Ollie. It's going to be tough with him only being on a one year contract. Manuel got back at Calhoun a bit with that one. I'll bet Manuel is starting his coaching search right now (if he hasn't already....).

Reaction Score
Same here Ricky.....not a huge JB fan but a fan of college hoops and he has a place in college hoops history without a doubt.....no bashing of the man, seemingly a gentleman off the court!

Key word you used is "jealousy" and it's running rampant over there as we speak....funny though!
Mau- its always easy to focus on a coupla "grenade tossers", while seemingly ignoring the vast majority of realistic and fair-minded fans.
There's an entire thread up on the Cuse board that asks where SU fans would rank JC in BE coaching history, and he consistently is being rankd in the TOP 2 or 3. JB has said that JC has done the best job...IN CBB HISTORY at building the UConn program.
Look, we hated John Thompson II at GTown, but nobody sane will deny he wasn't a great HC.
Again, we can all find idiots in our midst...the job is to never give them any credence.
Just sayin....

Reaction Score
Calhoun's run is comparable to Coach K in the ACC. Top 5. Or 6, at worst, comparable to Bobby Knight. Difference can be that Coach K has a gold medal from the Olympics.

Reaction Score
Mau- its always easy to focus on a coupla "grenade tossers", while seemingly ignoring the vast majority of realistic and fair-minded fans.
There's an entire thread up on the Cuse board that asks where SU fans would rank JC in BE coaching history, and he consistently is being rankd in the TOP 2 or 3. JB has said that JC has done the best job...IN CBB HISTORY at building the UConn program.
Look, we hated John Thompson II at GTown, but nobody sane will deny he wasn't a great HC.
Again, we can all find idiots in our midst...the job is to never give them any credence.
Just sayin....

Fair enough..........but there are quite a few on your board and I'm really okay with not liking the guy..........he's definitely the kind of guy who if he's "yours" you're all in and if he 's not he's an AH.........I get that........but the cheater stuff and alike is unreasonable, there's skeletons in their favorite coaches closet too although nothing which would make us call him even close to that!! They are similar in many ways.........

But hey you are correct, guessing we'll have a few doozies when JB retires LOL

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Calhoun's run is comparable to Coach K in the ACC. Top 5. Or 6, at worst, comparable to Bobby Knight. Difference can be that Coach K has a gold medal from the Olympics.
Coach K took over a program that was two years removed from the national title game. Bobby Knight took over one of the true blue-bloods.

Picture someone taking over Rutgers today (without the one final four run that Rutgers had) and in a quarter of a century Rutgers being spoken of as ridiculously successful and one of the handful of elite programs in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom