OT: - Curt Miller leaving CT Sun to coach LA Sparks | The Boneyard

OT: Curt Miller leaving CT Sun to coach LA Sparks

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Miller does not strike me as a west coast guy. Must be a nice financial package.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Last year the Mercury made the finals, lost to the Sky and HC Brondello moved on.

This year the Sun made the finals, lost to the Aces and HC Miller is moving on.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I thought I remember a story that Geno's opinion helped him get the sun job?
Geno gave Curt a strong recommendation for the job.

Curt was the head coach at Indiana University for 2 years before resigning abruptly in 2014. He was 2 years in to a 6-year deal at IU. In need of a job, he became an asst coach for the LA Sparks for the 2015 season and was hired by the Sun as their head coach in December 2015.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Major upgrade from Derek Fisher
Agreed. Side note - he needs to get some players. Good core, but missing key pieces. Camabge was a disaster for them, and the league frankly.

Brandi Poole is a really good assistant for the Sun. Would not be surprised to see her get the HC job.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm sorry to see Curt go. But I'm glad he seems to be chasing greener pastures and that Jen is gracious in letting him go. Class act by both.

The Sun have a lot of free agents. I hope not too many follow him; have never been fond of the Sparks.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I remember a story about his recruiting when he was coach at Indiana.
They were recruiting Kia Nurse bigtime...she had some kind of connection with that
program...don't recall what it was.
Anyway an assistant was watching Kia play...maybe in AAU ball. She sees Shea Ralph there and it is
evident that she has her UConn eyes on Kia as well. The assistant texts Curt that UConn seems to be serious.
Curt's reply was something like...well...good-bye to Kia.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry to see Curt go. But I'm glad he seems to be chasing greener pastures and that Jen is gracious in letting him go. Class act by both.

The Sun have a lot of free agents. I hope not too many follow him; have never been fond of the Sparks.
But..... ONO is a "SPARK". ( He said with a sparkle in his eye!)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Sparks are MUCH easier to like now that Parker and Cambage are gone. Plus they have ONO and Lou1. Not a fan of Chennedy "Hollywood" Carter (yeah they actually call her that here. Where's my vomit emoji???), but it's more her game I don't like than her personality.

1666386610279.png

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Sparks are MUCH easier to like now that Parker and Cambage are gone. Plus they have ONO and Lou1. Not a fan of Chennedy "Hollywood" Carter (yeah they actually call her that here. Where's my vomit emoji???), but it's more her game I don't like than her personality.

View attachment 79960
Agree about Cambage and Parker. I can think of at least 10 FA guards I'd like to see LA acquire and release Carter. She's not a good fit here.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I remember a story about his recruiting when he was coach at Indiana.
They were recruiting Kia Nurse bigtime...she had some kind of connection with that
program...don't recall what it was.
Anyway an assistant was watching Kia play...maybe in AAU ball. She sees Shea Ralph there and it is
evident that she has her UConn eyes on Kia as well. The assistant texts Curt that UConn seems to be serious.
Curt's reply was something like...well...good-bye to Kia.
Kia's aunt Raquel Nurse (McNabb) played basketball at Syracuse while Miller was an assistant coach. I think Miller and Raquel Nurse overlapped for maybe one year. Miller was head coach at Bowling Green from 2001-2012 and while there coached Kia's older sister Tamika.

Miller was quite familiar with and to the Nurse family when he started recruiting Kia.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

View attachment 79960
I know they're your hometown team, but I didn't expect you to go all Exorcist on me (love that gif, very Hallowe'en). :p

Reaction Score
Man, this is going to be interesting. Wasn't there some issue with Coach Miller and Chiney Ogwumike awhile back? When he was questioning her character & commitment levels when she played for the Sun. Hopefully, they patched things up. It was a six years ago but who knows. But I like this hire. The Sparks has some players there, just depends on who stays or moves on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom