Curse or bad luck? Long read. | The Boneyard

Curse or bad luck? Long read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In 1998-99 season UCONN welcomed one of many fab-five classes into the program. Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Asjha Jones, Keirsten Walters, and Tamika Williams. If I am not mistaken, only Asjha Jones made it through the four years without having to sit out a large amount of games. Sue was sidelined her first season with an ACL tear if I am not mistaken. Keirsten redshirted her sophomore and junior years due to chronic knee issues, and then disappeared from the team and campus. The fab five graduated four out of the program.

The next group of five students in one class came in the 2000-2001 season. This group consisted of Diana Taurasi, Maria Conlon, Morgan Valley, Ashley Battle, and Jessica Moore. From the start this group of five would start off underhanded with Jessica Moore taking a non-medical redshirt the first season. If memory serves correct she was the first player at UCONN to do so (and it made sense since we has Swin, Sue, Tamika, and Schuey). Later that same year, five games in…. Ashley Battle was sidelined with an injury (I do not recall what it was... some believe it to be shoulder related which it could have well been) and would miss the season, but was able to redshirt that season. Morgan Valley ended up developing plantar fasciitis which limited her playing time and her ability to move up and down the court. To make a long story short…. In 2004 three of the five players graduated. The other two graduated in 2005.

In the 2002-2003 season UCONN landed another amazing fab-five class. This time one of the fab five never even made it to campus. Gillian Goring a 6’6” player was declared academically ineligible due to her high school transcripts and other reasons. She went to play at a JUCO with the possibility of rejoining her class (That never happened). This group also consisted of Willnett Crockett, Ann Strother, Barbara Turner, and Nicole Wolff. Wolff over the course of two seasons played in a total of 13 games. She was impressive her freshman season when she took the court but back to back years of injuries prevented her from ever really showing us what she was capable of. She finished out her UCONN career within the four years, so she could graduate with the three other young ladies she entered UCONN with.

In the 2004-2005 season UCONN landed another five players. This group was unusual to say the very least. This group consisted of a #1 High School Player of the Year who transferred to UCONN from Duke after suffering major knee injuries and being encouraged (and some have even said forced) to play while not healthy. Brittany Hunter was joined that year by Mel Thomas, Ketia Swanier, Charde Houston, and Rashidat Sadiq. Hunter’s knees issues really sidelined what could have been a truly brilliant career in basketball. Geno stated something along the lines that --Even if she never plays a day of basketball at UCONN he was glad to have her and would extend a scholarship to her because of what she brought to the program. Sadiq lasted one season. To be honest she remains a giant question mark to me. Houston was a great ball player but never seemed happy, nor did she ever really live up to her potential. Ketia was a gift from God. SPEEDY!!!! Also an underrated player. That leaves Mel. Great player who was injured in her senior season. Absolutely a delight to watch play.

The 2006-2007 season saw the entrance of five new players to UCONN. Tina Charles, Meghan Gardler, Kaili McLaren….. a walk on by the name of Jacquie Fernandes, and someone by the name of Kristen Phillips. Phillips played a grand total of four minutes in two games in 06-07. With Phillips gone, the party of five became a party of four. It was not until either the following season or her junior season that Jacquie received a scholarship. Four graduated.

The 2008-2009 season was rather unique when it came to recruiting. UCONN landed a transfer student in Jessica McCormack who was a sophomore and had to sit out a season. Therefore when the 2008-2009 recruitment class of Tiffany Hayes, Caroline Doty, Elena DelleDonne, and Heather Buck were to enter their sophomore seasons she would have joined them. However fate is cruel and fickle. DelleDonne left UCONN two nights into her first summer session and then transferred to Delaware. Buck ended up with Mono and had to redshirt the season. Caroline Doty played 17 games before tearing her ACL while playing against Syracuse (the same team that Mel Thomas was playing when her career ended a year before). McCormack, like DelleDonne never did play a game in a UCONN jersey. Caroline had ACL injury after ACL injury. Heather Buck was slow to develop, and during her Junior year was showing promise when she injured herself playing against Griner. Hayes graduated when she was supposed, Buck and Doty stayed an extra year. Three out of the five graduated.

2010-2011 introduced five new Huskies to the UCONN Roster. Stefanie Dolson and Bria Hartley entered UCONN destined for greatness. Michala Johnson and Lauren Engeln entered UCONN only to last two years and transfer out just prior to UCONN winning the national title in what would have been their junior year. (I wonder if they wish they had stayed now). Also in this recruitment class was a player named Samarie Walker (which if you look at UCONN’s official 2010-11 roster is not mentioned….) left UCONN to go to Kentucky. Supposedly things between Walker and UCONN and the UCONN Players are not that good. So out of this class, we will have two players who will graduate.

The recruitment class of 2012-13 only had three players. Morgan Tuck, Moriah Jefferson, and Breanna Stewart. This is the first even year class not to have five new UCONN players enter the program.

Now we are deep into the 2014-15 recruitment class. We have commitments from Sadie Edwards, Courtney Ekmark, and Gabby Williams. The question is do we stay at three, do we push it to four? What about five? The additional of A’ja Wilson is on everyone’s mind. The emergence of Kia Nurse as a potential player for UCONN also has not gone unnoticed. But who do we land? How many do we take? If we go with five will the curse be over since the last even years recruitment only had three players? Do we go with four as so not to tempt fate? If both players said they wanted to come, would we take them both?

Also I could easily see four players in the class of 2015 coming to UCONN… or at least I see four players I would like to add. Kalani Brown, Napheesa Collier, Asia Durr, and I think it is a long shot but Samuelson. Of course Boykin does not sound that bad either ;)

What do you all think? Classes of five cursed? Do we go with five?

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Go with five whenever the talent is there and they are a good fit; you might end up with two or even three.

Reaction Score
I know this will shock a bunch of people here on the Boneyard but here goes anyway: "We" don't have anything to do with a) the size of the recruited class and/or b) who those players might be. Further, just because there may be a statistical correlation DOES NOT indicate causality.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Long read, but extremely well done!! Don't believe in a curse. With five young kids playing at this intense level, against top opponents, players will get hurt. With five college freshmen, some will get home sick & some may mess up their studies. Bottom line, 4 recruits are better than 3. If Geno wants to bring in 5 good recruits, that beats 4.....Starting with 4 or 5 doesn't mean finishing w/ the same number. In Geno we Trust...!!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Setting aside the "curse," there is constant attrition over the life of a class. For example, wasn't Liz Sherwood one of three who came together and went together? And this attrition (redshirts, transfers, injuries, etc.) is what gives me a little anxiety about our short bench in the, um, rising 2013-2014 season.

U

UCONNfan1

Fun read. Certainly worth the price of admission... But I agree with the poster who said correlation does not mean causality. Still, how many UCONN fans are also true blue Cubs fans? And certainly Sox fans know all about curses.

Reaction Score
Setting aside the "curse," there is constant attrition over the life of a class. For example, wasn't Liz Sherwood one of three who came together and went together? And this attrition (redshirts, transfers, injuries, etc.) is what gives me a little anxiety about our short bench in the, um, rising 2013-2014 season.
Kia Wright left during the summer. Kiana Robinson and Liz were at UCONN for the first season...the 2004 championship year... Then both left

Reaction Score
This is a good read, although my recollection of 'way back when differs in one regard from the OP's. Keirsten Walters disappeared from the team, with good reason, but I believe she did not disappear from Storrs. I could be wrong -- wouldn't be the first time -- but I believe she was honored with her class when they graduated. As I say, I could be wrong, and it's been a long, time, but still.....

As for some kind of a jinx on five recruits, that's just silly. If UConn gets Nurse, should it turn down Wilson because of it's coincidental record with five previous recruits? That'd be nuts.

Reaction Score
This is a good read, although my recollection of 'way back when differs in one regard from the OP's. Keirsten Walters disappeared from the team, with good reason, but I believe she did not disappear from Storrs. I could be wrong -- wouldn't be the first time -- but I believe she was honored with her class when they graduated. As I say, I could be wrong, and it's been a long, time, but still.....

Keirsten definitely continued at UConn and graduated. Attended the Final Four during her senior year. As I recall, she ended up having six knee surgeries plus major shoulder surgery. Could have been a really good player.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is what it is, nothing more, nothing less.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'll gladly take Ekmark, Williams, Edwards, Wilson and Nurse this year

AND

Durr, Samuelson, Boykin, Brown and Collier next year (or even Taja Cole).

I spit on da curse.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

goat.jpg

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I liked your post because of the observation and work involved. I also don't take it seriously, ie, some seem to think you really mean it, I think you're just having fun.

Having said that I'm reminded of the Dilbert cartoon where the pointy-haired boss was upset because 40% of the sick days taken occurred on a Monday or Friday. Things go wrong on every team. Statistically, they are more likely to show up in a large class than a small class. Smaller classes still have their problems, like the total vacancy of the KJ class of one or the Sherwood class of three.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The TASSK force paid off big-time: instrumental in two national championships. The 2000 class was monumental because it had Diana Taurasi. She alone was reason to consider that recruiting class a rousing success. The 2006 class produced another legend in Tina Charles. The 2010 class produced two players who have been WBCA AAs. And 2012 has been terrific as well.

My point: in any class, recruit kids Geno wants. Some might not hit as big as anticipated. Some might have injury issues. Bottom line is that statistically, the more kids you have, the greater your chances of winding up with championship-caliber players. And if one such player has "six-star" potential, you recruit the bejeezus out of them, regardless of your recruiting class size.

In short, I'd like Geno and CD to bring in as many players as they can.

Reaction Score
Great read.

The 99 class produced 2 championships, 4 WNBA players, and 3 Olympians. The 01 class had 3 championships, 3 WNBA players, and 1 Olympian. The 03 class--2 championships, 1 WNBA player. 05 had only 2 WNBA players. The 07 class, 2 championships, 1 WNBA player, 1 Olympian. 09 had 2 championships, 2 WNBA players. 11 had one championship with one year to go.

Curse us some more!

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
In 1998-99 season UCONN welcomed one of many fab-five classes into the program. Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Asjha Jones, Keirsten Walters, and Tamika Williams. If I am not mistaken, only Asjha Jones made it through the four years without having to sit out a large amount of games. Sue was sidelined her first season with an ACL tear if I am not mistaken. Keirsten redshirted her sophomore and junior years due to chronic knee issues, and then disappeared from the team and campus. The fab five graduated four out of the program.

The next group of five students in one class came in the 2000-2001 season. This group consisted of Diana Taurasi, Maria Conlon, Morgan Valley, Ashley Battle, and Jessica Moore. From the start this group of five would start off underhanded with Jessica Moore taking a non-medical redshirt the first season. If memory serves correct she was the first player at UCONN to do so (and it made sense since we has Swin, Sue, Tamika, and Schuey). Later that same year, five games in…. Ashley Battle was sidelined with a knee injury and would miss the season, but was able to redshirt that season. Morgan Valley ended up developing plantar fasciitis which limited her playing time and her ability to move up and down the court. To make a long story short…. In 2004 three of the five players graduated. The other two graduated in 2005.

In the 2002-2003 season UCONN landed another amazing fab-five class. This time one of the fab five never even made it to campus. Gillian Goring a 6’6” player was declared academically ineligible due to her high school transcripts and other reasons. She went to play at a JUCO with the possibility of rejoining her class (That never happened). This group also consisted of Willnett Crockett, Ann Strother, Barbara Turner, and Nicole Wolff. Wolff over the course of two seasons played in a total of 13 games. She was impressive her freshman season when she took the court but back to back years of injuries prevented her from ever really showing us what she was capable of. She finished out her UCONN career within the four years, so she could graduate with the three other young ladies she entered UCONN with.

In the 2004-2005 season UCONN landed another five players. This group was unusual to say the very least. This group consisted of a #1 High School Player of the Year who transferred to UCONN from Duke after suffering major knee injuries and being encouraged (and some have even said forced) to play while not healthy. Brittany Hunter was joined that year by Mel Thomas, Ketia Swanier, Charde Houston, and Rashidat Sadiq. Hunter’s knees issues really sidelined what could have been a truly brilliant career in basketball. Geno stated something along the lines that --Even if she never plays a day of basketball at UCONN he was glad to have her and would extend a scholarship to her because of what she brought to the program. Sadiq lasted one season. To be honest she remains a giant question mark to me. Houston was a great ball player but never seemed happy, nor did she ever really live up to her potential. Ketia was a gift from God. SPEEDY!!!! Also an underrated player. That leaves Mel. Great player who was injured in her senior season. Absolutely a delight to watch play.

The 2006-2007 season saw the entrance of five new players to UCONN. Tina Charles, Meghan Gardler, Kaili McLaren….. a walk on by the name of Jacquie Fernandes, and someone by the name of Kristen Phillips. Phillips played a grand total of four minutes in two games in 06-07. With Phillips gone, the party of five became a party of four. It was not until either the following season or her junior season that Jacquie received a scholarship. Four graduated.

The 2008-2009 season was rather unique when it came to recruiting. UCONN landed a transfer student in Jessica McCormack who was a sophomore and had to sit out a season. Therefore when the 2008-2009 recruitment class of Tiffany Hayes, Caroline Doty, Elena DelleDonne, and Heather Buck were to enter their sophomore seasons she would have joined them. However fate is cruel and fickle. DelleDonne left UCONN two nights into her first summer session and then transferred to Delaware. Buck ended up with Mono and had to redshirt the season. Caroline Doty played 17 games before tearing her ACL while playing against Syracuse (the same team that Mel Thomas was playing when her career ended a year before). McCormack, like DelleDonne never did play a game in a UCONN jersey. Caroline had ACL injury after ACL injury. Heather Buck was slow to develop, and during her Junior year was showing promise when she injured herself playing against Griner. Hayes graduated when she was supposed, Buck and Doty stayed an extra year. Three out of the five graduated.

2010-2011 introduced five new Huskies to the UCONN Roster. Stefanie Dolson and Bria Hartley entered UCONN destined for greatness. Michala Johnson and Lauren Engeln entered UCONN only to last two years and transfer out just prior to UCONN winning the national title in what would have been their junior year. (I wonder if they wish they had stayed now). Also in this recruitment class was a player named Samarie Walker (which if you look at UCONN’s official 2010-11 roster is not mentioned….) left UCONN to go to Kentucky. Supposedly things between Walker and UCONN and the UCONN Players are not that good. So out of this class, we will have two players who will graduate.

The recruitment class of 2012-13 only had three players. Morgan Tuck, Moriah Jefferson, and Breanna Stewart. This is the first even year class not to have five new UCONN players enter the program.

Now we are deep into the 2014-15 recruitment class. We have commitments from Sadie Edwards, Courtney Ekmark, and Gabby Williams. The question is do we stay at three, do we push it to four? What about five? The additional of A’ja Wilson is on everyone’s mind. The emergence of Kia Nurse as a potential player for UCONN also has not gone unnoticed. But who do we land? How many do we take? If we go with five will the curse be over since the last even years recruitment only had three players? Do we go with four as so not to tempt fate? If both players said they wanted to come, would we take them both?

Also I could easily see four players in the class of 2015 coming to UCONN… or at least I see four players I would like to add. Kalani Brown, Napheesa Collier, Asia Durr, and I think it is a long shot but Samuelson. Of course Boykin does not sound that bad either ;)

What do you all think? Classes of five cursed? Do we go with five?

Excellent post...thanks

Reaction Score
Excellent post...thanks

Agree - except that the incorrect references to Keirsten Walters should be changed in the original post.

She did NOT "disappear from the team and from campus". And it is not accurate that "the fab five graduated four out of the program." They graduated all five.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On the OP - fun read, but I believe the location of Battle's injury is misplaced - as I remember it was a shoulder/arm injury that occurred when she was playing defense and got to dislocated or something as her player pinned it against a screener - something like that. Maybe my memory is going.:confused:

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Fun read. Certainly worth the price of admission... But I agree with the poster who said correlation does not mean causality. Still, how many UCONN fans are also true blue Cubs fans? And certainly Sox fans know all about curses.

Well, I know one for sure (see my BY name).... And yes, the curse of the billy goat lives on, Theo or no Theo.....

Reaction Score
Keirsten definitely continued at UConn and graduated. Attended the Final Four during her senior year. As I recall, she ended up having six knee surgeries plus major shoulder surgery. Could have been a really good player.

Are you sure? I was a student there at the time and I recall her being their up to the 00-01 year. She redshirted her sophomore and junior year and was part of the team. I honestly do not ever recall seeing her at any of the games in 02. I had season tickets and everything. She is not listed on the 01-02 roster. Also if you check the media guide it states her 98-99 season. Then states that 99-00, 00-01 she was a medical redshirt. Then it does not say anything for 01-02. Svetlana is listed as the student coach so it is not even as if she is there helping in that form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom