Current UConn golfer Caleb Manuel qualifies for U.S. Open | The Boneyard

Current UConn golfer Caleb Manuel qualifies for U.S. Open

Reaction Score
Off the charts.. Go for it.. Greens may be fast and the rough may be thick... Its not your local Muni.... Make UConn Nation proud!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, in this new NIL/super conference enviornment, this is going to happen with every athlete sans basketball players (the UConn baseketball brand is big enough). Any athlete who has a standout freshman or sophomore season and isn't draft elibigle is going to transfer to where they can profit substainally off of an NIL deal. And the BIG 10 and SEC are going to reap the benefits of our school developing athletes.

It's not an ideal situation for us at all, and it is going to impact recruiting. For instance, will the baseball staff still look to undercover the next Reggie Crawford knowing he's gone if he draws similar buzz, or does it make sense to bypass those kids altogether for JUCO's and solid-but-not spectular prospects?

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, in this new NIL/super conference enviornment, this is going to happen with every athlete sans basketball players (the UConn baseketball brand is big enough). Any athlete who has a standout freshman or sophomore season and isn't draft elibigle is going to transfer to where they can profit substainally off of an NIL deal. And the BIG 10 and SEC are going to reap the benefits of our school developing athletes.

It's not an ideal situation for us at all, and it is going to impact recruiting. For instance, will the baseball staff still look to undercover the next Reggie Crawford knowing he's gone if he draws similar buzz, or does it make sense to bypass those kids altogether for JUCO's and solid-but-not spectular prospects?
I don't think this has anything to do with NIL/super conference changes. University of Georgia is a FAR superior college golf program to UConn. Better resources, better alumni connections, better region of the country/weather for golf, higher profile, better competition. As @ThabeetDown mentioned, this is a total no brainer for anyone in his position and would have been before the college landscape changes from the last few years. Good for him, he clearly earned this opportunity.

Reaction Score
I don't think this has anything to do with NIL/super conference changes. University of Georgia is a FAR superior college golf program to UConn. Better resources, better alumni connections, better region of the country/weather for golf, higher profile, better competition. As @ThabeetDown mentioned, this is a total no brainer for anyone in his position and would have been before the college landscape changes from the last few years. Good for him, he clearly earned this opportunity.
100% spot on. Clearly he's talented considering he qualified for the US Open (regardless of how he played there) and likely will be pursuing a pro golf career. Playing SEC golf not only helps him from a competition/resources standpoint, but also purely from a geographical/weather standpoint. He'll be able to play golf in December-February which probably isn't on the menu in Storrs.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Agree. But Jerry Kelly played for UHart and had a decent career. But UGA is a Cadillac program.

Reaction Score
If we have a program that is simply a feeder program for other schools, that can not compete at a top level,....should we have that team?

Just asking.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If we have a program that is simply a feeder program for other schools, that can not compete at a top level,....should we have that team?

Just asking.
Weren’t we Big East champs last year?

Reaction Score
I disgree. IMHO, this has everything to do with the NIL. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I've spoken to a few coaches and they feel this is going to be the new normal for underclassmen in almost every sport (sans basketball). Any freshman who excels at UConn in year one is going to leave because of the NIL opportunites the SEC and BIG will offer. It's why Reggie Crawford is in the transfer portal currently. If he doesn't get what he feels he should, he's going to the SEC to capitalize on the NIL opportunities and better compeititon. I can't speak for Caleb - I have no insight into his situation - but I honestly feel the flagshipness of the Georgia golf program is secondary to NIL opportnities (given the concerns I have heard from those I have spoken with of the ripple effect NIL/coference realignment are having).

Reaction Score
I disgree. IMHO, this has everything to do with the NIL. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I've spoken to a few coaches and they feel this is going to be the new normal for underclassmen in almost every sport (sans basketball). Any freshman who excels at UConn in year one is going to leave because of the NIL opportunites the SEC and BIG will offer. It's why Reggie Crawford is in the transfer portal currently. If he doesn't get what he feels he should, he's going to the SEC to capitalize on the NIL opportunities and better compeititon. I can't speak for Caleb - I have no insight into his situation - but I honestly feel the flagshipness of the Georgia golf program is secondary to NIL opportnities (given the concerns I have heard from those I have spoken with of the ripple effect NIL/coference realignment are having).
I'm actually curious how much male college golfers can reasonably expect to make in NIL opportunities. My guess is it's not exactly life-changing money. Regardless, I don't think there's any chance a golfer in his position would have turned down this opportunity even before the landscape shift. It's really hard to overstate how much better of an opportunity it is for someone in his position at UGA than UConn.

Reaction Score

This is pure nonsense. Any stud golfer in Connecticut or Maine who has pro aspirations is going to jump at the opportunity to play golf year round in Georgia, Florida, Arizona...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm actually curious how much male college golfers can reasonably expect to make in NIL opportunities. My guess is it's not exactly life-changing money. Regardless, I don't think there's any chance a golfer in his position would have turned down this opportunity even before the landscape shift. It's really hard to overstate how much better of an opportunity it is for someone in his position at UGA than UConn.

A stud college golfer should easily get in to the $100k range no problem.

So many of these college kids are blasting through amateur golf and Korn Ferry and making impact on PGA tour early in their careers.

If a golf company can get them for a low price while in college and write that for a few years as a pro before renegotiating it can pay huge dividends.

Reaction Score
This is pure nonsense. Any stud golfer in Connecticut or Maine who has pro aspirations is going to jump at the opportunity to play golf year round in Georgia, Florida, Arizona...
Call it whatever you want, but it’s not nonsense. It’s the future - and it stinks.

Reaction Score
Call it whatever you want, but it’s not nonsense. It’s the future - and it stinks.
For golf and those types of sports it is nonsense. Better coaching, facilities, competition, alumni/donors who are golfers. Anyone who is a serious golfer with the skill to turn pro would be an idiot not to transfer to an sec, big 12 or pac 10 school for their golf future

Reaction Score
A stud college golfer should easily get in to the $100k range no problem.

So many of these college kids are blasting through amateur golf and Korn Ferry and making impact on PGA tour early in their careers.

If a golf company can get them for a low price while in college and write that for a few years as a pro before renegotiating it can pay huge dividends.
Do you have a basis for this? I’m not saying you’re wrong, just genuinely curious. And I’m not talking like top player in college golf, just second or third best player on a top program that is far from a sure fire PGA star. There are some female college golfers with huge social media followings but I don’t know that it’s comparable on the mens side.

Reaction Score

I can't speak for other sports, but I can speak to golf. If you are a high school kid in the Northeast and want to improve your golf, you go to IMG or one of the other golf academies so you can play year round. Junior golfers in the Northeast hope for a southern school to look at them, but it rarely happens unless you perform well at the AJGA events and are willing to travel south for tournaments. And, the top Northeastern high school golfers that have performed and been noticed are already going to southern or western schools. Michael Thorbjornsen, who is from Massachusetts and won the US Junior Amateur and came in 4th at the Travelers this year, left Massachusetts and went to IMG, but returned to his high school for senior year. He is now at Stanford.

When it comes to golf, UConn is a good regional program that is hampered by poor weather and it is not a place to develop professional golfers.

Reaction Score
Yep and Pat Sheehan who also had a couple decent years on the PGA.
….and Jay Williamson who played at Trinity. I believe that Kelly, Petrovic and Sheehan all played on the same golf team at UHart. Three PGA tour professionals on the same college golf team out of the Northeast. And Jerry went to UHart on a hockey scholarship until they cancelled the program. Incredible story!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Do you have a basis for this? I’m not saying you’re wrong, just genuinely curious. And I’m not talking like top player in college golf, just second or third best player on a top program that is far from a sure fire PGA star. There are some female college golfers with huge social media followings but I don’t know that it’s comparable on the mens side.

Pure conjecture on my part.

What I do know is more and more of these kids are coming right out of college and within a year or two are playing afternoon golf on weekends. Used to be they needed a year or two on mini tours and another year or so on Korn Ferry before they could get a PGA Tour card. Now these kids are springboarding right to the PGA tour.

If I were the golf companies I'd look in to these players and try to sign them early.

Do I expect a middle of the road SEC golfer to make six digits? Hell no. But, I do think a few thousand each month while practicing at top notch facilities and courses year round and traveling on private jets or chartered jets is better than Twin Hills or Skungamaug.

Here's the current list of UGA's on the PGA tour. Plenty of networking opportunities there.

Harris English
Brian Harman
Russell Henley
Chris Kirk
Kevin Kisner
Keith Mitchell
Greyson Sigg
Sepp Straka
Hudson Swafford
Brendon Todd
Bubba Watson

Nice facilities too.