CTE Diagnosed in 99% of former NFL players | Page 4 | The Boneyard

CTE Diagnosed in 99% of former NFL players

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
"OOO, look at me, i want to be on the forefront of dropping football (again)."

Horribly written clickbait article. This is the equivalent of saying: "99% of people pulled over for suspected DWI, and who refused breath testing, tested positive for alcohol" No kidding.

You're right, CTE is a myth.

Do your sons play football?

Reaction Score

No one is saying CTE is a myth but, your spin is that since football will cease to exist soon because of CTE, UConn should drop it now and join the Big East.

Last I checked, the NFL & the NCAA are still planning on playing their upcoming seasons. In a day & age where politicians will launch hearings and lawsuits over just about anything there is no activity on the subject. The NFL Players Association, of who it's members are the most affected by CTE, haven't made any demands about rules changes to alleviate the problem.

Yes, CTE is an issue in football but, it's not the sport crusher that you want it to be to justify UConn dropping the sport. Will there be ongoing rules changes going forward? Of course there will. After all, there was a time when the game was played without helmets.

The bottom line is that the game of football is not going away in any of our lifetimes.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Yet again not addressing my statement, and twisting words. Your shtick is old.

This "study" doesn't really prove much at all - it's an enormously biased dataset. Anyone who has paid attention knows of the danger here - the problem is that this is a lagging indicator. The NFL should use it's tremendous resource base to get out in front of this. The NCAA should too, but they're too busy paying the pink panther brigade to look at UNC.

And yes, 2 of my 3 sons do play football (and the 3rd one has, but something else won out). So kiss my keyster, and keep my kids out of it.

Reaction Score
Yet again not addressing my statement, and twisting words. Your shtick is old.

This "study" doesn't really prove much at all - it's an enormously biased dataset. Anyone who has paid attention knows of the danger here - the problem is that this is a lagging indicator. The NFL should use it's tremendous resource base to get out in front of this. The NCAA should too, but they're too busy paying the pink panther brigade to look at UNC.

And yes, 2 of my 3 sons do play football (and the 3rd one has, but something else won out). So kiss my keyster, and keep my kids out of it.

Yea, the study is biased but how much is it off by? You have to agree that It's a number much greater than zero and it represents risk. The question is What are your odds? I grew up in poor area and in that environment I would expect more guys to take that chance as a way to get out. Where I live now, less folks are willing to take a chance with their kids, football sign ups are down significantly. Everything comes down to a personal decision about how much risk are you willing to take on. For my kids, I'd rather focus on academics and other sports, but just my opinion. That said, I've had at least 1 concussion in the last 18 months playing basketball. I'm still playing.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Yea, the study is biased but how much is it off by? You have to agree that It's a number much greater than zero and it represents risk. The question is What are your odds? I grew up in poor area and in that environment I would expect more guys to take that chance as a way to get out. Where I live now, less folks are willing to take a chance with their kids, football sign ups are down significantly. Everything comes down to a personal decision about how much risk are you willing to take on. For my kids, I'd rather focus on academics and other sports, but just my opinion. That said, I've had at least 1 concussion in the last 18 months playing basketball. I'm still playing.

The donor brains were from people suspected of damage. It would almost be worse if it were <90%, because it would mean that there would be another vector for study.

The most interesting parts of the study seem to indicate that the longer exposure / bigger / older set was most impacted (and that the youngest, thankfully, aren't that impacted). That part's not shocking, but further study will come on which one of those causes the most impact.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

What will happen to football in Connecticut if New Canaan, Westport or Simsbury drop it as a sport? The pressure on the other affluent towns to drop it will go way up, and it will create a ripple effect on each step of the socio economic ladder.

Unless Pepband99 is right, and CTE is a myth, the sport is in big trouble.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
What will happen to football in Connecticut if New Canaan, Westport or Simsbury drop it as a sport? The pressure on the other affluent towns to drop it will go way up, and it will create a ripple effect on each step of the socio economic ladder.

Unless Pepband99 is right, and CTE is a myth, the sport is in big trouble.
Pepband didn't say that or imply that. So why did you write that he did? It only weakens and distracts from an otherwise strong argument.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pepband didn't say that or imply that. So why did you write that he did? It only weakens and distracts from an otherwise strong argument.

His exact words: "The study doesn't prove much at all". Do you know what the word "imply" means?

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
His exact words: "The study doesn't prove much at all". Do you know what the word "imply" means?
Do you always go ad hominen? You could have made your point without implying I'm stupid.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

So? It doesn't prove much. People who exhibited symptoms of CTE, and had their brains tested, had CTE. Whoopdie-damn-doo.

My point all along - and I'll make this clear enough that you can't misquote it - nobody here is going to take any post from you seriously, if it has so much as a hint of the de-emphasis/demise of football. It's like trying to have even an honest race relations conversation with David Duke.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So? It doesn't prove much. People who exhibited symptoms of CTE, and had their brains tested, had CTE. Whoopdie-damn-doo.

My point all along - and I'll make this clear enough that you can't misquote it - nobody here is going to take any post from you seriously, if it has so much as a hint of the de-emphasis/demise of football. It's like trying to have even an honest race relations conversation with David Duke.

So CTE is a myth because I post about it? I didn't know I was that powerful.

Reaction Score
Professional boxing had CTE problems...has it gone away?

Sort of...now it has been supplanted with a more brutal "sport"....MMA and UFC

Reaction Score
You cannot draw any conclusions from one biased study. But there is plenty of other evidence that CTE is a growing concern in football. In fact, there already have been rule changes with the intent of lessening head injuries. In order to save football, more rule changes will be made until the occurrence of head injuries and long term affects are in line with other sports. But football faces a couple of challenges. First, there is at least anecdotal evidence that fewer kids are selecting football as their sport of choice, or moving away from it early on, even those excelling in football. The other is whether these rule changes will render football less popular. In fact, I already hear people complain that football is starting to become a "wussy" sport.

I believe football's popularity has reached a peak and is beginning a downturn. But it looks like, at least for now, it will stay very popular as money still continues to pour into football more so than other sports. My guess is football will look significantly different in another generation. By that time we will see if football remains the king of sports.

Reaction Score
In my father's heyday (WWII and 1950's)....Baseball was America's sport. Baseball questions were asked sometimes, to identify as friend or foe, a stranger coming up to the front line. America at work stood by radios during the World Series.

Baseball is who we were, football is who we are.

That can change in the future, but very slowly over several generations.

Reaction Score

>>According to the NFHS, NJSIAA, Pop Warner, area coaches, medical experts and state legislators, reasons for the decline in football participation at the state and national levels include:
  • Safety concerns
  • Demographics
  • Sports specialization
  • The cyclical nature of high school athletics
  • A school’s overall male enrollment
  • A school’s sports tradition
  • On-field success (or lack thereof)
  • Lack of interest
  • Stability of feeder programs
  • Expense<<

Reaction Score
The only argument one can make against the case that football is dying is that it's already dead. It's still quite often entertaining, but between the hyper-sensitivity to head injuries, the emphasis on protecting quarterbacks and wide receivers, and coaches figuring out that it's better to run pass-heavy, up-tempo offenses, it's not the same sport that we grew up watching. I'm about to stop watching any season now and it isn't because of any moral stand. It's because the sport is already kind of ruined.

Moving forward, it will be the sport for fantasy dorks, gambling addicts, barbecue/tailgating minions, and alcoholic/obese types whose habits have been normalized by the routine of football weekends.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Moving forward, it will be the sport for fantasy dorks, gambling addicts, barbecue/tailgating minions, and alcoholic/obese types whose habits have been normalized by the routine of football weekends.
I sorta feel like that includes like 95% of the board.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The only argument one can make against the case that football is dying is that it's already dead. It's still quite often entertaining, but between the hyper-sensitivity to head injuries, the emphasis on protecting quarterbacks and wide receivers, and coaches figuring out that it's better to run pass-heavy, up-tempo offenses, it's not the same sport that we grew up watching. I'm about to stop watching any season now and it isn't because of any moral stand. It's because the sport is already kind of ruined.

I never watch the NBA. There is no defense and it has fast become a 3 point game. MLB looks like it wants HRs more than anything so you have shifts all the time and guys either walking, striking out or hitting a bomb. The NFL and NCAA is more like the arena league than not. Maybe I'm getting jaded but bigtime sports is catering to different types of fans than me. Give me the 80's, everything was better then, IMO.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What helps football is that compared to the other big sports, it really doesn't take a great deal of skill. Just size and athleticism.

Reaction Score
I sorta feel like that includes like 95% of the board.

And probably 95% of America. Which is why it will be interesting to watch just how much the sport can bend this country before the customers leave.

Reaction Score
What's it Like Being a British NFL Fan?

"American football is perhaps the most tactical sport in the world, and even the most modest of playbooks is the size of a telephone directory."

This game is not going away. Demand will always be there from here on.

Move the London Jaguars to the AFC East, Bills move to Toronto (or Canada), and the NFL's growth potential is unleashed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom