CTE Diagnosed in 99% of former NFL players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CTE Diagnosed in 99% of former NFL players

Reaction Score
The story is attention grabbing, and that's good because it might exert the pressure for change.
But this isn't really "news." These were donated brains from folks who suspected a problem. I'm almost more surprised that it's not 100%.

The fact still remains that there are millions of adults who played FB as kids and have had no problems - to date.
If results start showing problems for people who played only HS or Pop Warner football then FB will be in crisis. But until then ...

Reaction Score
Most kids are not talented enough to play college football never mind pro football. I would not be overly concerned with my kid getting a concussions in youth football. The kids don't hit hard enough to hurt anyone. Once they get to high school I would re evaluate.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
But, kids have a tendency to fall in love with the sport they are playing as a 7 -14 year old, especially if they are a little bit better at it then the average. So, if your son plays Pop football for 5 or 6 years is good at it and wants to play high school your going to have to tell him no to save his brain. Why not direct him to a less injury prone sport from the start?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Most kids are not talented enough to play college football never mind pro football. I would not be overly concerned with my kid getting a concussions in youth football. The kids don't hit hard enough to hurt anyone. Once they get to high school I would re evaluate.

Is this a medical opinion? Young players are not as strong as older players, but their heads are a larger percentage of their total body weight and their necks are not as strong as they will be later in life, resulting in more head movement and head contact.

CTE is not just about concussions. It is about repeated sub-concussive hits to the head that have a cumulative effect on the victim. There are concussions in basketball, but there is nothing close to the repeated head contact that football has.

Reaction Score
But, kids have a tendency to fall in love with the sport they are playing as a 7 -14 year old, especially if they are a little bit better at it then the average. So, if your son plays Pop football for 5 or 6 years is good at it and wants to play high school your going to have to tell him no to save his brain. Why not direct him to a less injury prone sport from the start?

My kids prefer hockey, so that's what they'll end up playing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The story is attention grabbing, and that's good because it might exert the pressure for change.
But this isn't really "news." These were donated brains from folks who suspected a problem. I'm almost more surprised that it's not 100%.

The fact still remains that there are millions of adults who played FB as kids and have had no problems - to date.
If results start showing problems for people who played only HS or Pop Warner football then FB will be in crisis. But until then ...

The research is showing permanent damage at younger and younger ages. This sport is about to fall off a cliff at the youth level, and when it does, fan interest will decline. As importantly, the talent pool will dry up pretty quickly.

I do think this will be a boon for lacrosse.

Reaction Score
Is this a medical opinion? Young players are not as strong as older players, but their heads are a larger percentage of their total body weight and their necks are not as strong as they will be later in life, resulting in more head movement and head contact.

CTE is not just about concussions. It is about repeated sub-concussive hits to the head that have a cumulative effect on the victim. There are concussions in basketball, but there is nothing close to the repeated head contact that football has.
No, it's my opinion. You are allowed your opinion and I am allowed mine.

Reaction Score
I'll be shocked if Aaron Hernandez did not have CTE. I wonder how long it will take to release results. There could be lawsuits if positive.

Reaction Score

Honestly I think that's really where the disease starts, with the first few concussions suffered at a young age. Kids don't know how to use their bodies correctly, or even really follow coaching cues well enough, to tackle safely. And as I said before, part of the problem within this larger issue is that it takes decades for the disease to progress to the point of being noticeable. And the effects, even when they manifest, aren't exactly gruesome

Would be interested to see if all sub-18 football was banned. Grow up being an athlete and learn your body, then convert to football once you're an adult

Reaction Score
Honestly I think that's really where the disease starts, with the first few concussions suffered at a young age. Kids don't know how to use their bodies correctly, or even really follow coaching cues well enough, to tackle safely. And as I said before, part of the problem within this larger issue is that it takes decades for the disease to progress to the point of being noticeable. And the effects, even when they manifest, aren't exactly gruesome

Would be interested to see if all sub-18 football was banned. Grow up being an athlete and learn your body, then convert to football once you're an adult

It may also be beneficial for kids to play multiple sports across multiple season and not specialize in just one sport to allow healing.

Reaction Score
It may also be beneficial for kids to play multiple sports across multiple season and not specialize in just one sport to allow healing.

I couldn't agree more. "Specializing" in one sport at an early is bad and wrong on multiple levels.

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to test some of the rock singers who just committed suicide to see if they have CTE.
lol I'm sure those guys suffered a few concussions in their time but the real damage and real encephalopathy is likely caused by another, non-traumatic cause

Reaction Score
Not that I'm hostile to your point, and it is a valid one; But we're talking about brain injury and reducing risk of concussions here.

Brains don't "heal" and I don't see how playing sports year-round will impact any of what we're talking about ITT

Reaction Score
Not that I'm hostile to your point, and it is a valid one; But we're talking about brain injury and reducing risk of concussions here.

Brains don't "heal" and I don't see how playing sports year-round will impact any of what we're talking about ITT

Not being hostile to your point, but please consider that nowadays when a kid specializes in one sport, he or she is participating in some form of that sport more or less year round.

Reaction Score

It's risk avoidance. You eliminate a number of times that impacts/damage can occur from specific high potential sports. Frequency of impact and recovery time is a major factor in increasing severity of concussions.

Reaction Score
It's risk avoidance. You eliminate a number of times that impacts/damage can occur from specific high potential sports.
You achieve this by... playing more sports?

Or do you mean play football one Fall and track the next?

Reaction Score
You do this by... playing more sports?

You play different sports... there is less likelihood of concussion in non-contact sports (football versus track/field for example). And while damaged brain cells do not regenerate, the brain can adapt and does have recovery ability over time.

Reaction Score
You play different sports... there is less likelihood of concussion in non-contact sports (football versus track/field for example). And while damaged brain cells do not regenerate, the brain can adapt and does have recovery ability over time.
I figured that while you were making this post

Reaction Score
You achieve this by... playing more sports?

Or do you mean play football one fall and... whatever else they do in fall... next season?

Yes, if you play football in the fall and, say, travel baseball in the summer (instead of 7 on 7 football) then your risk of sustaining repeated hits to the head goes down.

Reaction Score
I just checked a few things out. NFL Season still on. NCAA Season no cancellations. HS Football Season still scheduled. I guess football will live another year LOL.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It would be interesting to test some of the rock singers who just committed suicide to see if they have CTE.

You think kids don't get brain damage from repeatedly banging their heads into other kids heads. We heard you the first time.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I've said this to my friends for a couple of years now but football won't go away but the game as we know it will be significantly different within the next 25 years.

Whether that be vastly different helmets, contact rules, or actual changes to the way the game is played, the end result is going to be a far different product than what we see today.

I still think it'll be just as popular but just far different.

Reaction Score
I've said this to my friends for a couple of years now but football won't go away but the game as we know it will be significantly different within the next 25 years.

Whether that be vastly different helmets, contact rules, or actual changes to the way the game is played, the end result is going to be a far different product than what we see today.

I still think it'll be just as popular but just far different.
Maybe it's just not talked about, but it seems like there haven't been any major developments in helmet technology that could limit the damage. Anybody (in the NFL at least) recovering from a concussion or has a history of concussions wears that special helmet that looks bigger than the rest... why isn't that the norm if it better protects the head? Seems like a logical place to start.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom