Crystal plays with fire | The Boneyard

Crystal plays with fire

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I found this blurb interesting

“We were talking about it in the locker room, how it keeps surprising me how quick she is,” Collier said. “There were only five seconds left and she was at the other end. I was counting down for her behind her, and she didn’t pull up for the three. She went all the way to the basket and got the shot off. She keeps getting better and better, and she surprises me all the time.”

Naphessa counting down the clock for Crystal on that drive seems to me to be an out of the ordinary heady play. :)

Reaction Score
Play with fire, play with determination every minute of the game. If all five to eight of them can do this, the will be difficult to beat. It's that intensity that separates UConn from other programs. Maybe it is time to ignite that fire in the team so that the fire burns bright by tournament time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That play reminded me of 2 past UConn guards: The nasty piece of business from Ontario and the honey badger from the Philly suburbs. Neither of them took any crap. And both won multiple championships.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I love Crystal, so don't get me wrong, but when she started barking at the Temple player, she jumped up and ran right into Megan's arms. All that was missing was Crystal yelling, "Hold me back!" She made her point, but had no intention of getting into a physical altercation.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That play reminded me of 2 past UConn guards: The nasty piece of business from Ontario and the honey badger from the Philly suburbs. Neither of them took any crap. And both won multiple championships.
You forgot the feisty blonde from Fayetteville. Remember when she was a player in the first round of the NCAA tourney in Storrs she nearly slugged some kid that gave her a cheap shot?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Play with fire, play with determination every minute of the game. If all five to eight of them can do this, the will be difficult to beat. It's that intensity that separates UConn from other programs. Maybe it is time to ignite that fire in the team so that the fire burns bright by tournament time.

Geno has been "noting" the laid back nature of the team for a couple of seasons. They certainly are a different breed from the SASS bunch's step on the neck (and step on it again) 'tude.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I love Crystal, so don't get me wrong, but when she started barking at the Temple player, she jumped up and ran right into Megan's arms. All that was missing was Crystal yelling, "Hold me back!" She made her point, but had no intention of getting into a physical altercation.

even better. :):):)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You forgot the feisty blonde from Fayetteville. Remember when she was a player in the first round of the NCAA tourney in Storrs she nearly slugged some kid that gave her a cheap shot?

She didn't know how to play any other way. Just stumbled into a photogallery of Shea at the Courant that is extensive and fun (copy protected). Shea Ralph career in photos - Hartford Courant

Reaction Score
“The coaches, all of them really, said they wanted to see some emotion from us,” Dangerfield said. “I don’t know if that was the emotion that they wanted to see but it was something.”

LOL. Some new quotes here. Adamec: UConn's Dangerfield plays with fire

Interesting that the coaches recognize this -- what's been lacking over the last 2 years isn't X's and O's, it's mental. The team needs to be less robotic to get over the hump against feisty opponents like MSU, ND, and Baylor.

Reaction Score
Amazing to me how underrated and under appreciated Crystal is by many UConn fans. There is not another point guard in America that I would rather have. Love everything about her game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I'm on record as saying I liked that display of emotion. UConn needed a "spark". Perhaps that was it. That rant by Crystal was tantamount to Geno getting a technical. Crystal snapped, she had enough. That was a spur of the moment thing. Anderson unwittingly "poked the bear" when she kept trash talking Crystal, them clapped and said something as she walked by. We all know that is something you should never do because of the possible consequences.

"The Huskies’ coaching staff wasn't laughing, but seeing that kind of fire from Dangerfield had it smiling.
“When Crystal is really being aggressive and she is really attacking, good things are going to happen,” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “I don’t ever want her to not do that. I want her to really, really force the issue in transition.” Dangerfield also had a pair of steals and was not charged with a turnover in her 37 minutes of action."

When coaches get tech's, sometimes it fires their players up. It flips the switch that sometimes causes the team to play harder and inspired for a few moments, sometimes for the remainder of the game. The team had her back, and played with a heightened sense of urgency after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I remember the cheap shot being given to someone else. She was just in enforcer mode. Am I misremembering?

Reaction Score
I believe that kind of fire (which I called toughness in a previous post) is In a players nature. It is a fierce competitiveness. If you play me rough, I will play you rougher. There s no backup in me. Many former uconn players have had it. I just don’t see it in this group.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Shea Dog has been Badass for 20+ years. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Notice that Guns Dangerfield was no match for Megan. Meg held her back with one (large) arm.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Notice that Guns Dangerfield was no match for Megan. Meg held her back with one (large) arm.
Crystal is no dummy. If you're trying to avoid a fight, it's always smart to make sure the strongest player on the court is holding you back.

Reaction Score
“The coaches, all of them really, said they wanted to see some emotion from us,” Dangerfield said. “I don’t know if that was the emotion that they wanted to see but it was something.”

LOL. Some new quotes here. Adamec: UConn's Dangerfield plays with fire
If i remember correctly I think Shea was coming to someone else's defense.All i remember thinking was as she was going toward the opposing player was that this was not going to end well, I have been trying to find a replay of that footage in light of what has been happening to Chrystal this year. Nan ,you thought it was in the opening round of the tournament.Anyone have any idea what year?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom