Crystal Dangerfield (Shin Splints) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Crystal Dangerfield (Shin Splints)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Tell Geno about the special exercise. We need Crystal on the floor.

I don't often get an audience with Geno, but maybe I can pass it on to Amanda.

Reaction Score
Shin splints are a very common injury and I don't expect this to limit Dangerfield at all.

Reaction Score
Shin splints are a very common injury and I don't expect this to limit Dangerfield at all.

Yes, common. But very painful. And they make running on a hard surface very trying and painful. Not sure how she's coping. Painkillers before the game? If memory serves, shin splints involve a pulling away from the bone of ligaments that attach to the calf muscles.

Hurt a lot when I got them when running track (again, a hard surface).

Good luck to her.

Reaction Score
Thanks David. Sounds good. We've got Crystal playing despite her shin splints, Gabby playing despite her chronic migraines and Lou playing despite her LisFranc foot injury. UConn is good to go.

Enjoy the game!!

gee..............from that list these kids would fit right in on the BY

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wait, what? Is Crystal not playing? Where is this coming from?

Sorry, I mistakenly assumed she wasn't going to play. You're no more relieved than I am. I've never had shin splints, so I cannot relate.

Reaction Score
As a track coach for parts of 5 decades I am well aware of the pain shin splints can cause. There was a series of active warm up exercises that definitely helped prevent and lessen the pain (along with compression). I found through experience that they were made worse by using shoes with improper support, some brands never seemed to cause them and other would often do so. I won't mention which ones here as it would sound like an advertisement or slam but there are inserts for sneakers that will really help both prevent and promote healing.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Sorry, I mistakenly assumed she wasn't going to play. You're no more relieved than I am. I've never had shin splints, so I cannot relate.

Like most injuries, it "varies", from a irritating discomfort to almost total debilitation. It's a diagnosis that broadly covers a very wide range of injury. Universally, rest is needed to recover, but there several therapeutic activities that can be employed to manage the situation (and pain). I'm sure all available therapy is being employed. Back in my HS track days, shin splints got us some time on the whirlpool and a tape job. As a distance runner, I also got to do most of my running on soft surfaces while trying to manage the pain. I'd bet the farm that UConn's staff is able top do quite a bit better than that.

Based on her game performance, her situation seems to be at a tolerable level. Hopefully they can manage it and allow Crystal to continue to perform at a high level as needed. There is no reason to not believe that at this time.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Our medical staff has entered the 22nd century. Nice piece on how our girls are all sensored up so they can trace their fitness etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom