Crystal Dangerfield (Shin Splints) | The Boneyard

Crystal Dangerfield (Shin Splints)

Reaction Score
Ouch! Coach Geno reveals that Crystal has shin splints. That is a very painful condition, and it takes a long time to come back from it.

I don't know how she can run up and down that hard surface with shin splints. Wonder what treatment and recovery looks like. Hurt me for weeks.

Still no word about AEH. Coach Geno had said on his program that there would be news "in a couple o days." Fingers crossed, and wishing her all good things, and a speedy return to the team.

Reaction Score
That must be why she was wearing those black things on her legs during the East Carolina game.

Reaction Score
Ouch! Coach Geno reveals that Crystal has shin splints. That is a very painful condition, and it takes a long time to come back from it.

I don't know how she can run up and down that hard surface with shin splints. Wonder what treatment and recovery looks like. Hurt me for weeks.

Still no word about AEH. Coach Geno had said on his program that there would be news "in a couple o days." Fingers crossed, and wishing her all good things, and a speedy return to the team.
Didn't Crystal have a foot issue last year? "In Geno we trust" so hesitate appearing to being critical of his strategy. Geno expects his players to grow and expand so maybe he will also consider new tactics to provide rest so team fully ready for NCAA's. A few players on this year's team appear to have foot and ankle injuries (i.e. KLS, Crystal, Kia).

Reaction Score
one of the downsides of working as hard or harder in practice as they do in games is the constant pounding on the body..........................frankly I'm amazed more UConn players don't come down with that kind of overuse injury.........................Geno's response is if it ain't broken your playing and the players buy into that for good or for bad.....................also with all of the year ending injuries going around in WBB this year, playing your starters well into the fourth quarter with a forty point lead should be reconsidered............

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I seem to recall shin splints were a reason Diamond D didn't light up the nation in the fall of 2015. :eek::oops: Had them myself as a teen. Hard to deal with in season, but therapy to stimulate blood flow and some anti-inflams can help.

Reaction Score

Typically, the cure is rest. Maybe that is why he has been more aggressive seeking the bench player he can most trust at guard. With respect to AEH, is there a problem with her ? I thought she was attending a very ill grandmother?

Reaction Score
Typically, the cure is rest. Maybe that is why he has been more aggressive seeking the bench player he can most trust at guard. With respect to AEH, is there a problem with her ? I thought she was attending a very ill grandmother?

The ONLY information we know for CERTAIN is that AEH is home due to "personal reasons". Anything else that is posted is strictly speculation.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

This is not news about Dangerous I want to here. UConn is a different team when she's not on the floor.

Ok, next man up, and hope she's ready. This is not a drill!! Does this mean that Azura moves into the starting lineup, and everyone else just slides down on the bench like they did when Lou was injured, or does Geno start a guard off the bench?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

During an interview for his show, Coach Geno stated that AEH is dealing with issues that are impacting her ability to play (I believe I have that wording close) and that she will need to resolve those issues. He then said that he expected to have more to say on AEH in the next couple of days. He has made no announcements, he has said nothing about what the issues are. But AEH was not in East Carolina for the last game.

So we do not know the situation. AEH was showing signs of talent and breaking through recently. She was probably the #2 performer after Walker among the four freshmen at the point she stopped playing.

Fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
ugh! hate shin splints! Wilson had them her sophomore and junior seasons and was a big reason why she wore those bulky shin guards. Splints are nagging injuries but Dangerfield is a tough kid so there's no doubt she'll bounce back. Wishing her a speedy recovery and best of luck!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Crystal is logging a lot of minutes. She has worn a sleeve on one calf all season, I believe. Is it both calves now?

Reaction Score

I have been reading about her grandmother's illness for two weeks. I will appreciate if someone can remind me where this news comes from. I have no problem accepting that she has issues that has made her unavailable after 10 games (22nd Dec perhaps) and do not need to speculate on the cause.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I was going to Like this--but I don't like this much. Thanks for the update.

Reaction Score
one of the downsides of working as hard or harder in practice as they do in games is the constant pounding on the body......frankly I'm amazed more UConn players don't come down with that kind of overuse injury.....Geno's response is if it ain't broken your playing and the players buy into that for good or for bad......also with all of the year ending injuries going around in WBB this year, playing your starters well into the fourth quarter with a forty point lead should be reconsidered..
I agree and have said that a long time. It's a 2 edge sword--conditioning, experience, teaching--injuries.

Reaction Score
I have been reading about her grandmother's illness for two weeks. I will appreciate if someone can remind me where this news comes from. I have no problem accepting that she has issues that has made her unavailable after 10 games (22nd Dec perhaps) and do not need to speculate on the cause.

I am fairly sure that was just speculation from a couple of posters based on the fact that she had left her prep school 18 months ago to go back to her local HS to be closer to her ailing grandmother. I don't think any articles have given any reason for her absence.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
When I ran cross-country in college, several members of our team, including myself, developed shin splints. A coach, not a cross country coach but I believe the women's track coach, taught us an exercise. We all did it, and I don't believe any of us had a problem with shin splints after that. While I'm no longer a runner, I did run for quite a few years after college and I made the exercise part of my warm-up routine. I don't believe I ever develop shin splints again.

Reaction Score
When I ran cross-country in college, several members of our team, including myself, developed shin splints. A coach, not a cross country coach but I believe the women's track coach, taught us an exercise. We all did it, and I don't believe any of us had a problem with shin splints after that. While I'm no longer a runner, I did run for quite a few years after college and I made the exercise part of my warm-up routine. I don't believe I ever develop shin splints again.
Tell Geno about the special exercise. We need Crystal on the floor.

Reaction Score
Does this mean that Azura moves into the starting lineup, and everyone else just slides down on the bench like they did when Lou was injured?

In other words, the starting lineup most people expected before the season. Should be doable.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This is not news about Dangerous I want to here. UConn is a different team when she's not on the floor.

Ok, next man up, and hope she's ready. This is not a drill!! Does this mean that Azura moves into the starting lineup, and everyone else just slides down on the bench like they did when Lou was injured, or does Geno start a guard off the bench?

Wait, what? Is Crystal not playing? Where is this coming from?

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
I’m at the game. Crystal is going through full warm ups... looks ready to go.

Reaction Score

I'm sure she plays, I assume they will somewhat limit her minutes......................hopefully..........................

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Thanks David. Sounds good. We've got Crystal playing despite her shin splints, Gabby playing despite her chronic migraines and Lou playing despite her LisFranc foot injury. UConn is good to go.

Enjoy the game!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom