Crunch time for Herbst/Manuel | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Crunch time for Herbst/Manuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
conflicts between the two strongest personalities in the athletic department.

No offense, but if you think that the relationship between our Men's and Women's basketball coaches have any impact on expansion decision...then I have a bridge to sell you at a great price.

Reaction Score
Number 1 ... I don't get the animosity towards Herbst. She wasn't even unpacked when the Pitt/SU move took place. You can't lay that on her.

Number 2 ... Don't gloat too much YOU BC fans. My guess is that there still is vulnerability on FSU & Clemson. I'm sure they merely had a voice vote & they'll soon distribute documents. As we saw with BC, this may be where FSU/Clemson pushes for their own life raft.

Number 3 ... We don't deserve to be ahead of lots of Programs outside the Big 5 (if you look at Football alone). Market? Yeah, we have a good one. Program Market Value? Someone has the numbers. Methinks that anyone who puts BC or SU or Pitt in front of us has NO vision. And ZLS? I would think that many many programs (diss UCF all you want) will rise faster than those 3.

Number 4 ... Funny how the 4 North Carolina schools slide through all this (particularly Duke & Wake). Lots of Programs are better ... but they get the big payday?

I also hate this in CFB.

Reaction Score
No offense, but if you think that the relationship between our Men's and Women's basketball coaches have any impact on expansion decision...then I have a bridge to sell you at a great price.
Not saying I buy or don't buy. Just repeating something from a third party which is "in the business" so to speak that I thought was pertinant to the poster's question.

Reaction Score
No. The crunch time is for our Governor. He was blindsided, following his helping ESPN to corporate welfare from the Connecticut taxpayers, when ESPN cooperated with the ACC to take Syracuse and Pitt and not us. So be it. But if his discussions thereafter did not make sure ESPN wouldn't help another conference doing this again without making sure UConn was taken care of, he is an incompetent buffoon and deserves no ones support.

We will know shortly. Either UConn needs to be taken care of or ESPN needs to get not a dime of taxpayer money.

Reaction Score
No. The crunch time is for our Governor. He was blindsided, following his helping ESPN to corporate welfare from the Connecticut taxpayers, when ESPN cooperated with the ACC to take Syracuse and Pitt and not us. So be it. But if his discussions thereafter did not make sure ESPN wouldn't help another conference doing this again without making sure UConn was taken care of, he is an incompetent buffoon and deserves no ones support.

We will know shortly. Either UConn needs to be taken care of or ESPN needs to get not a dime of taxpayer money.

BL:
I am pissed at ESPN as well and firmly believe that they have played a huge role in all aspects of conference re-alignment. This thing also has their fingerprints all over it.
HOWEVER, do you really think the governor is going to risk thousands of high paying jobs in CT over this? I just can;t see him "threatening" ESPN at all as I know 49 other states that would bend over backwards to have ESPN. Also most ESPN people would prefer to be out of CT anyways as they are here only for work and constantly bad mouth the area anyways.
Playing a game of chicken with ESPN is not to the state of CT's advantage.

Reaction Score
BL:
I am pissed at ESPN as well and firmly believe that they have played a huge role in all aspects of conference re-alignment. This thing also has their fingerprints all over it.
HOWEVER, do you really think the governor is going to risk thousands of high paying jobs in CT over this? I just can;t see him "threatening" ESPN at all as I know 49 other states that would bend over backwards to have ESPN. Also most ESPN people would prefer to be out of CT anyways as they are here only for work and constantly bad mouth the area anyways.
Playing a game of chicken with ESPN is not to the state of CT's advantage.

As a small business owner who has never asked for it, I am not a big fan of corporate welfare generally. When the state pays it, and I acknowledge there are reasons to pay it, I expect it to only go to a business that isn't feeling free to screwing the state in other ways while they take our money and produce jobs.

If those terms aren't acceptable, then yes, f@@@ing go elsewhere with your jobs and let some other state be the sucker that pays you.

Reaction Score
Care to back this up?
Since you can't bother to read earlier posts, I can't but -
Also, the people making these decisions have the TV numbers for both FB and BB. They know who draws the biggest collective set of eyes and the resulting TV contract $$$. People can post all day long about the numbers that Uconn can bring from outside of CT but there has to be some evidence that Uconn (and RU) do not deliver NYC to any large degree. I do not have any facts to support that conclusion, but is seems pretty apparent based on who has moved and who has not.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Number 4 ... Funny how the 4 North Carolina schools slide through all this (particularly Duke & Wake). Lots of Programs are better ... but they get the big payday?

I also hate this in CFB.

Purdue and Washington State and Utah and Vanderbilt and Iowa State and Oregon State have a life raft. UConn doesn't.

I just shake my head and laugh.

Reaction Score
Also, the people making these decisions have the TV numbers for both FB and BB. They know who draws the biggest collective set of eyes and the resulting TV contract $$$. People can post all day long about the numbers that Uconn can bring from outside of CT but there has to be some evidence that Uconn (and RU) do not deliver NYC to any large degree. I do not have any facts to support that conclusion, but is seems pretty apparent based on who has moved and who has not.

I read all earlier posts.

You think it's apparent that Swofford made these decisions based on the eyeballs that Pitt and Syracuse draw over UConn and Rutgers. That's a highly questionable assumption. This is the same guy who thought rodeo didn't stand a chance against a New England ACC football team.

Reaction Score

As a small business owner who has never asked for it, I am not a big fan of corporate welfare generally. When the state pays it, and I acknowledge there are reasons to pay it, I expect it to only go to a business that isn't feeling free to screwing the state in other ways while they take our money and produce jobs.

If those terms aren't acceptable, then yes, f@@@ing go elsewhere with your jobs and let some other state be the sucker that pays you.

I don't know if we're on the same side of the socio-economic-political fence on most things BL - but I stand with you on this. I'm a proud resident of CT, and a small business owner and I just cut my state tax check today, which reflects approx a 100% increase in what I paid not too long ago, except nothing in my own business has really changed.

Malloy, or whomever is pulling his puppet strings, better get this thing right.

Reaction Score
I don't know if we're on the same side of the socio-economic-political fence on most things BL - but I stand with you on this. I'm a proud resident of CT, and a small business owner and I just cut my state tax check today, which reflects approx a 100% increase in what I paid not too long ago, except nothing in my own business has really changed.

Malloy, or whomever is pulling his puppet strings, better get this thing right.

To be clear, I am not saying business owners generally owe the State a duty. If I want to take on a case against the State of Connecticut, that is my right. And if ESPN felt free screwing UConn, that is its right. But when you take money from the state, you are implicitly agreeing to be in a fiduciary relationship with it, and then you just can't say I can do whatever I want.

At least, that's my view. But I have been a strong supporter of this Administration and I now want to see something.

Reaction Score
Some months ago I repeated comments that came from a person in the SEC office who plays in the same golf dog fight as I do. For what it is worth (maybe nothing) I will summarize again them here. UConn is like a hot girl who is high maintenance. She is great to date but getting married requires a lot more thought. Source of the high maintenance opinion: Reaction to the initial BE split, conflicts between the two strongest personalities in the athletic department.

Did this in real life - such a bad move.

Reaction Score

The ACC as a selector conference has clearly selected the best available teams. Swofford did not just draw school names out of a hat or throw darts at a map. The expansion by the ACC was a calculated and deliberate business decision made after all of the numbers were crunched. Syracuse was not added because the ACC wanted another team that wears orange to pair with Clemson but because of the value they and the other expansion schools added. Maybe BC had an agenda against UConn but if UConn had the numbers as far as value BC's objection would have been noted and duly ignored.

Reaction Score
Regardless of the UConn conference situation, ESPN and what happens with everything, Malloy is an incompetent buffoon. The office of governor of CT does not attract great intellectual talent except in rare cases. It doesn't pay much and you have to deal with the real intellectual lowlifes in the legislature. Would any one of us want the job? This is from a Democrat and from someone who was appointed to his last position by one of them. Although I was competent for the position I got it because of who I knew, not because I was necessarily the best. Expect nothing from Malloy and be super surprised (and pleased) if I turn out to be wrong.

Reaction Score
To be clear, I am not saying business owners generally owe the State a duty. If I want to take on a case against the State of Connecticut, that is my right. And if ESPN felt free screwing UConn, that is its right. But when you take money from the state, you are implicitly agreeing to be in a fiduciary relationship with it, and then you just can't say I can do whatever I want.

At least, that's my view. But I have been a strong supporter of this Administration and I now want to see something.

I'm not a lawyer, and that looks like lawyer speak. I know that if I don't pay my state taxes, I'm in trouble with the state, and since Mr. Malloy's been in office, I've got lots more money that the State says I owe for taxes.

My CT 1040-ES check went out in the mail today. I too, want to see some action on the Governor's part in all of this. MAJOR action.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I like the sentiment but I am pretty sure that this wasn't a contingency built into the original deal. Now, as to any new deal, the State should absolutely hold ESPN accountable. Until then, if Malloy even gets a meeting, it is only as a courtesy.

Reaction Score
Regardless of the UConn conference situation, ESPN and what happens with everything, Malloy is an incompetent buffoon. The office of governor of CT does not attract great intellectual talent except in rare cases. It doesn't pay much and you have to deal with the real intellectual lowlifes in the legislature. Would any one of us want the job? This is from a Democrat and from someone who was appointed to his last position by one of them. Although I was competent for the position I got it because of who I knew, not because I was necessarily the best. Expect nothing from Malloy and be super surprised (and pleased) if I turn out to be wrong.

Unfortunately I agree. THe one guy in recent times that was not of the mold, had the lowlifes dig up the littlest piece of dirt they could find, and turned it into a prison sentence.

Reaction Score
I like the sentiment but I am pretty sure that this wasn't a contingency built into the original deal. Now, as to any new deal, the State should absolutely hold ESPN accountable. Until then, if Malloy even gets a meeting, it is only as a courtesy.

I can't disagree more strongly. When two parties enter into a deal, each expect the other not to screw them. whether the contract says that or not.

Reaction Score
LINDA!!!

LINDA MCMAHON TO THE RESCUE!!

WWF, have somebody climb the ropes and drop a flying elbow down on ESPN from washington.

Reaction Score
I can't disagree more strongly. When two parties enter into a deal, each expect the other not to screw them. whether the contract says that or not.
Unfortunately, ESPN is not screwing the state. They are keeping and adding jobs in the state. Their business dealings with the BE really has nothing to do with the tax incentives they received. They are 2 distinct things. The impact that any of the conference moves/income has on Uconn as a fiscal consideration is much smaller than the fiscal impact of ESPN keeping and adding jobs.

And yes, the state of CT is giving away way too many of these things for my liking and are giving to them to businesses that really do not deserve them.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, ESPN is not screwing the state. They are keeping and adding jobs in the state. Their business dealings with the BE really has nothing to do with the tax incentives they received. They are 2 distinct things. The impact that any of the conference moves/income has on Uconn as a fiscal consideration is much smaller than the fiscal impact of ESPN keeping and adding jobs.

And yes, the state of CT is giving away way too many of these things for my liking and are giving to them to businesses that really do not deserve them.

I hear your point. I still disagree. If I take $5M to expand into Hartford and add thirty new lawyers and thirty or forty other jobs, I don't go ahead and take a case to sue the State of Connecticut. I don't care that the contract doesn't flat out forbid me -- if you take money from someone you owe them something more than taking it and hiring people.

Reaction Score
I hear your point. I still disagree. If I take $5M to expand into Hartford and add thirty new lawyers and thirty or forty other jobs, I don't go ahead and take a case to sue the State of Connecticut. I don't care that the contract doesn't flat out forbid me -- if you take money from someone you owe them something more than taking it and hiring people.

Good lord. Did I just read a liberal mind state that people should be accountable for their actions and respectful of each other when materials, goods or currency exchange hands - even if it's not specified on a piece of paper somwhere?

If only more bleeding hearts would be able to cross over from bleeding out all over the place to actually fighting for the things they work hard for to provide for their familes, and things they value, and actually expect that people are to be held accountable for their own behavior? Things might be different in this state. LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom