Crunch time for Herbst/Manuel | The Boneyard

Crunch time for Herbst/Manuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've strongly defended Herbst and have high hopes for Manuel. I am praying they knew this Notre Dame deal was coming and stand ready to bring us in as the ACC's 16th team. Anything else will be a major fail.

Times like these and the ability to react is why they're getting paid the big bucks.

Reaction Score
The moves would have been announced together. It's not happening.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

That's what I'm afraid of. Having an odd number of basketball teams is not a big deal and the ACC still has 14 schools playing football in-conference. They aren't pressed for another team.

It's not looking good. Really the best thing we can hope for is Herbst is given the expansion chair. Didn't Pitt's pres then ND's pres hold that position?

Reaction Score
Don't think ACC is going to stay at 15. Not saying No. 16 is going to be UConn, but will bet $1 there will be a 16th team. This Georgetown rumor I'm seeing seems fairly laughable, but then again so is Pitt/Syracuse jumping line ahead of us

Reaction Score
Don't think ACC is going to stay at 15. Not saying No. 16 is going to be UConn, but will bet $1 there will be a 16th team. This Georgetown rumor I'm seeing seems fairly laughable, but then again so is Pitt/Syracuse jumping line ahead of us

Well, it can't be a football school. Unbalanced scheduling for football doesn't work. So it's either two football schools (unlikely), or one non-football school (much more likely).

Reaction Score

Unless a non-football school pledges contractually to upgrade in the eventuality that ND joins the conference, there will be no additional non-football school added.

The ultimate goal if for ND to fully join the ACC.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I've strongly defended Herbst and have high hopes for Manuel. I am praying they knew this Notre Dame deal was coming and stand ready to bring us in as the ACC's 16th team. Anything else will be a major fail.

Times like these and the ability to react is why they're getting paid the big bucks.

I'm not sure you understand how realignment works. In fact, I'm sure you don't understand how it works. In order to join another conference, you need to be invited!!! You just don't walk into their office and say, "We want in. Cool?"

Reaction Score
The ACC again demonstrates its dominance as a selector conference and gets even stronger as one of the Power 5 Conferences.

There is no need for a 16th team until the time when ND asks for full football membership in the ACC. Sorry, seems as though all seats in the ACC are filled.

Now exactly how big was that NBE TV deal going to be??? LOL

Reaction Score
No need for the groundless personal attack there Dan (btw I was AT that game where your avatar was taken, in addition to many other ND games of many I-A games I've attended thru the years). didn't think I needed to explain my point that a savvy president and athletic director who have seen how this process works since 2003 know what's going on behind the scenes, know the 'right people' and are positioned correctly when the next domino falls. I'll agree Herbst was caught a little flatfooted for the Pitt/Syracuse thing. Can't happen this time..

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Said it in another thread... Ain't too proud to #begharder. It's ACC or bust. The last life raft is nearly full.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Said it in another thread... Ain't too proud to #begharder. It's ACC or bust. The last life raft is nearly full.

ACC is dead to us. I don't see how it happens now

Reaction Score
the game is over. when you heard the comments from BC and others saying that BC was not the only school that rejected Uconn, you knew Herbst was trying to get in along side ND. It didn't happen. the only hope I see for Uconn ahtletics is to offer up their olympic sports to the ACC and go independent in football.

Reaction Score
perhaps being too optimistic but think the game is far from over. Big 12 is only 10 teams; SEC only 14, Big 10 could go to 14 or 16. Who's to say Clemson and FSU won't bolt for SEC? we'll see.

Reaction Score
One possibility, albeit a reach - the ACC has brought ND onboard as a shot in the bow, to get Louisville, Rutgers or Uconn to bite on a partial membership. Hence the "rumors" of Gtown and Nova.

Reaction Score
One possibility, albeit a reach - the ACC has brought ND onboard as a shot in the bow, to get Louisville, Rutgers or Uconn to bite on a partial membership. Hence the "rumors" of Gtown and Nova.

So, ACC for all sports, football joins the MAC?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Other than authorizing the Cam Newton style payments for players to build a powerhouse FB program. I can't think of what their next move would be.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I think what's happening now is the ACC is deciding whether to take a BB school just to get to 16, or to take a FB school in hopes that ND eventually becomes a full time member. The disadvantage of a BB school is if ND joins full time, they're screwed with a 15/1 model that really doesn't work. If they take a FB school and ND never joins, they're stuck with a 15.5/0.5 model that's better but still not that great.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I suppose the SEC could still go after some ACC teams. The ACC could be saving UConn and Rutgers invites for that possibility. That is such small consolation, however, it's almost not worth mentioning.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
No need for the groundless personal attack there Dan (btw I was AT that game where your avatar was taken, in addition to many other ND games of many I-A games I've attended thru the years). didn't think I needed to explain my point that a savvy president and athletic director who have seen how this process works since 2003 know what's going on behind the scenes, know the 'right people' and are positioned correctly when the next domino falls. I'll agree Herbst was caught a little flatfooted for the Pitt/Syracuse thing. Can't happen this time..

Don't take it as a personal attack; I'm attacking the idea rather than the person (since it seems you are not the only one who feels this way). And the attack certainly is not "groundless." I'm just growing tired with the idea that Susan Herbst or any other future or former president can solely control what conference we end up in. Period.

You can do things to be "positioned correctly," as you have stated, and I believe that the university has done those things. New stadiums in almost every sport, high level performance in all of our sports teams, upgrade in hockey, etc. What else do you want the university to do??? How are we caught "flatfooted"???

Reaction Score
I suppose the SEC could still go after some ACC teams. The ACC could be saving UConn and Rutgers invites for that possibility. That is such small consolation, however, it's almost not worth mentioning.

$50 million exit fee for ACC schools. I think only FSU and Clemson could pay that now.

Say joining the SEC = $5-8 million more a year. It will take about a decade to make up the payout. Risky move.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
$50 million exit fee for ACC schools. I think only FSU and Clemson could pay that now.

Say joining the SEC = $5-8 million more a year. It will take about a decade to make up the payout. Risky move.
I did say it was small consolation...

Reaction Score
So, ACC for all sports, football joins the MAC?

You can see why Herbst wouldn't concede this unless necessary. So ACC shows them that it is necessary. Goodbye nose, save face. Our schedule is already MAC with a few ACC schools sprinkled in OOC.

Reaction Score
You can see why Herbst wouldn't concede this unless necessary. So ACC shows them that it is necessary. Goodbye nose, save face. Our schedule is already MAC with a few ACC schools sprinkled in OOC.

MAC makes no money on football. UConn football would die in the MAC. Barely better than UMass.

Reaction Score

ACC has also upped its exit fee to $50 million.

Will take a lot of years of somewhat greater SEC money to cover that.

FSU et al ain't going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer