Crowd | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Crowd

Reaction Score
People who go to games at The Rent for the first time have been raving about the experience for 20 seasons now. The crew pushing for a campus facility pretty much doesn't go to games.
And in this case, people includes RGIII.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
So let’s turn this around. West Point is an easy trip from Storrs. Are we bringing a pep band there?

Army doesn't allow for opposing bands - long-standing policy, as I understand it. We did travel to UMass last year, as well as several exhibitions.

We also don't get ACC money, so this isn't as even-handed as you're making it out to be.

Edit - I was wrong - we're bringing the full band to Army, per the band's schedule. Suck it, thunderchickens.

Sat, Nov. 19UConn vs. Army- Michie Stadium @11:00 AM

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No away games, no exhibition performances - this is basically a glorified high school band. Good to see the ACC money is going to things enhancing the fan experience :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

DateGame
September 3BC vs. Rutgers
September 8First Year Convocation
September 17 BC vs. UMaine
September 30Pops on the Heights
October 1BC vs. Louisville
October 8BC vs. Clemson
November 4BC vs. Duke
November 26BC vs. Syracuse
At a football game the BC Band plays far more than the UConn Band.

BC does have a glorified High School Band, but they do get to play with the Boston Pops. BC is a private University without a formal music program, not a major State University with a music program. As I mentioned earleir not all the memeber of the BC band actually attend BC. No one on the BC Band is on scholarship, not sure if people are at UConn. (I had a cousin who attended USC (Southern Cal) on a full scholarship for band). In fact I do not beleive anyone gets cut from the BC Band.

Reaction Score
We also don't get ACC money, so this isn't as even-handed as you're making it out to be.
Why would ACC money be going to the band? ACC money is supporting the athletic department, not music.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
At a football game the BC Band plays far more than the UConn Band.

BC does have a glorified High School Band, but they do get to play with the Boston Pops. BC is a private University without a formal music program, not a major State University with a music program. As I mentioned earleir not all the memeber of the BC band actually attend BC. No one on the BC Band is on scholarship, not sure if people are at UConn. (I had a cousin who attended USC (Southern Cal) on a full scholarship for band). In fact I do not beleive anyone gets cut from the BC Band.

UConn Marching Band doesn't offer scholarships, and annoyingly (at least to me), music majors can't use the UCMB as their ensemble of choice (i.e. they need to participate in the concert band, etc).

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Why would ACC money be going to the band? ACC money is supporting the athletic department, not music.

At schools which give a crap, Athletics at least helps, if not outright funds, entities like the marching band. They understand that it's a key part of the fan experience.

Also, at some point, it becomes practical to do so. Things like the NCAA tournament, where the NCAA funds travel, etc - it's easier to route through athletics, instead of transferring between entities.

It's understandable why BCU wouldn't have experience in that, however.

Reaction Score
Army doesn't allow for opposing bands - long-standing policy, as I understand it. We did travel to UMass last year, as well as several exhibitions.

Edit - I was wrong - we're bringing the full band to Army, per the band's schedule. Suck it, thunderchickens.

Sat, Nov. 19UConn vs. Army- Michie Stadium @11:00 AM
First, good. And second, that makes your point.

Reaction Score
Why?

Because there are more than enough ways to make fun of BCU legitimately, without out just throwing out stuff that makes no sense and then turn to the next thing that makes no sense. Unless you think this is modern politics.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Because there are more than enough ways to make fun of BCU legitimately, without out just throwing out stuff that makes no sense and then turn to the next thing that makes no sense. Unless you think this is modern politics.

Err, but other bands in the ACC do indeed send pep bands, if not the full one, to away games. I've been to quite a few Clemson@BCU games - they always bring a pep band, despite the distance.

Cuse not travelling to the Rent earlier this year, especially with their sizeable crowd there, was also inexcusable. Visa issues must complicate things.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm sure BCU is glad they have a friend in you.

Reaction Score
Agree but you got to know your paying customers too. They need to find some good cross genre stuff that most people can get into.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn Marching Band doesn't offer scholarships, and annoyingly (at least to me), music majors can't use the UCMB as their ensemble of choice (i.e. they need to participate in the concert band, etc).
For a music major, marching band must be the equivilent of a gut course so I can understand. The baton twirlers get a free ride, don't they?

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
It was loud, and there were some passionate fans up in those seats, especially in the first half with our flurry of offense at the beginning and some huge defensive stops. Boy was it ever loud in third downs with the “welcome to the jungle intro” which was immediately followed by more noise when we stopped them. The crowd was loud on every first down we made. It was a great atmosphere, I’m glad I got to see the Rent that way again.
It was crazy loud. I have been hoarse since Saturday at 12:15 pm. Well worth it. Gotta get the voice ready to lose it again Friday night.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I've been to a couple of games at BC. They FINALLY started selling beer at the venue. Tailgating at BC was terrible. Watching the last game at BC with the fake field goal was humiliating. Saturday's game felt really really really good.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
For a music major, marching band must be the equivilent of a gut course so I can understand. The baton twirlers get a free ride, don't they?
When I was at UConn, I would’ve loved to have given the baton twirler a free ride.

Reaction Score
People who go to games at The Rent for the first time have been raving about the experience for 20 seasons now. The crew pushing for a campus facility pretty much doesn't go to games.
I was going to start my own thread, but this seems like as good a place as any...When I was at UConn in the dark ages (1968-72), I probably saw just about every home game (I think tickets were either free for students or 50 cents) as either a fan or a broadcaster for WHUS, as well as a few road games - Yale x 2, Maine, URI (Vin Clements gashed the Rams for about 250 yards that day) and maybe BU. Saturday was my first visit to the Rent and my first UConn football game since the late '70's. In my defense I lived in Virginia for many of those years and have been in Maine since 1985. I was really impressed with the stadium. Even though our seats (through the Alumni Association) were in the 12th row of Section 229 (just past the goal line, home side, Jumbotron end), it was easy to see the game. Seat backs would have been nice, but other than that, it was great. The food selection was impressive, and what we got was really good for stadium food. the Rent may be in rough shape, but like a beautiful woman who still can turn heads well past her 30's, she carries her age well. Despite the 3+ hour drive each way, we'll be back.

Reaction Score
In my section (229) there family with little kids. Wasn't surprised to see them leave early, some at halftime. What WAS surprising was that many people came in well into the first half and some even after halftime. Or maybe they wanted to get out of the shade on the press box side. My son came wearing four layers and needed every one of them when we arrived around 10:30. By halftime, he was down to a long sleeve T-shirt.

Reaction Score
man, that was fun!!! it has been a long while since the Rent had that much energy. the fresno WIN was a treat, especially for the few thousand of us there.. but BC, man, that was everything we've been missing.

bring on friday - please open the lots at noon!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom