Crowd At The Game | The Boneyard

Crowd At The Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was at game. Crowd was pretty impressive. Lot's of spirit, lot's of yelling. Especially the students and the band but actually, the entire crowd was pretty spirited. Not me. I didn't get why, and still don't, especially when we looked so incompetent for most of the first half. I was posting on the Boneyard from my cell phone - negative things mostly. Entirely.

Anyway, I would estimate about 2000 empty seats, when you take the blues and some of the corners into account. So, about 38K in attendance, which is not bad for a 3-5 team. Syracuse filled their section up pretty well, and there were a lot of orange types interspersed throughout, so that obviously helped.

In the second half, it got a lot easier to get excited. There were some desperate moments, and the crowd really got into it.

At the end of the game, it was nice to see PP be able to walk across the field and shake hands with Dr. Darryl Gross, who had relieved him of duties 7 years ago. It would have been a lot harder for him had Cuse won the game. So, that was nice to watch.

Reaction Score
Although they got there a little later than usual (and missed UConn's 1st TD), I though overall the crowd was very good. It was a long week for CT residents with all the power outages, so a college football game on a perfect autumn Sat afternoon was just what they needed to blow off some steam. Hated to see the booing in the 1st half when JMac struggled and the turnover bug hit, but the frustration from the fans was understandable. 2nd half was fun once the offenses got rolling, and the crowd was loud and feisty when it counted.

All in all, a good day at the Rent and one the team & fans sorely needed.

Reaction Score
I was at the game and was also impressed with the crowd overall. It was definitely a late arriving crowd but everyone was into the game. I am a season ticket holder and our crew stands on every 3rd down and yells as much as we can throughout the game. Generally we have to plead with people to get up and cheer on the team but yesterday everyone around us was into the game and in the 2nd half the crowd really helped push the team.

As for the booing, we were booing late in the 1st half as well but it was more booing that PP was leaving a very ineffective QB in the game. The last interception in the 1st was completely inexcusable and hopefully after seeing our success with mccummings PP will make a change. Mcentee got more then a fair shake to be the QB and at this point he does not deserve to play.

Protect home field and we lock up being bowl eligible so hopefully the crowd continues to support this team like they did yesterday.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Those boos came after two lousy passes by JMac that didn't come near their target. They were boos of frustration.

Reaction Score
Moe Petrus said the players heard the booing and he said he understands it but wishes fans would stick with them through thick and thin.

Too many uneducated (on college football) and drunk fans Moe.

Also read where players were showing Johnny Mac the forum comments ripping him. I guess to fire him up, but don't know. Still gotta hurt....he is human.

Reaction Score
Those boos came after two lousy passes by JMac that didn't come near their target. They were boos of frustration.

You put lipstick on a pig and you still got a pig. You boo a bad call by the refs. You boo PP for not going for a 4th and 1 but that's about it.

You gave a reason why it was ok to boo Mac. There are never good reasons to boo college kids playing any sport.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Anyway, I would estimate about 2000 empty seats, when you take the blues and some of the corners into account. So, about 38K in attendance, which is not bad for a 3-5 team.

Good guess...

UConn Football 2011
SYRACUSE vs CONNECTICUT (Nov. 5, 2011 at East Hartford, Conn.)
SYRACUSE (5-4,1-3) vs. CONNECTICUT (4-5,2-2)
Date: Nov. 5, 2011 • Site: East Hartford, Conn. • Stadium: Rentschler Field • Attendance: 38769

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You put lipstick on a pig and you still got a pig. You boo a bad call by the refs. You boo PP for not going for a 4th and 1 but that's about it.

You gave a reason why it was ok to boo Mac. There are never good reasons to boo college kids playing any sport.

I know the air gets thin up there on your high horse, but I wasn't giving a reason why it was OK to boo, I was giving the reason why there was booing. There's a difference.

Reaction Score
The worst part of booing McEntee is that I'd rather have him in there than Frazer or Lorenzen. McEntee, as far as college Qbs go, is far from way below average. He's actually improving. Clearly he has been coached to step up into the pocket. And he has started throwing the ball with authority. But I wonder how much college football most fans watch because D1 QBs struggle at least as bad as McEntee. I'm not saying he's great, but at the rate he's developing, we'll have the best QB since Orlovsky at UConn next year. Maybe that's not saying much, but--watching the Big10, McEntee is no worse than say 4 or 5 starting QBs in that conference.

I'm glad the coaches are helping him to improve his pocket presence because he is indeed at the bottom of college football in that aspect.

The kid does not deserve to be booed. He's improving.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Moe Petrus said the players heard the booing and he said he understands it but wishes fans would stick with them through thick and thin.

Too many uneducated (on college football) and drunk fans Moe.

Also read where players were showing Johnny Mac the forum comments ripping him. I guess to fire him up, but don't know. Still gotta hurt....he is human.

It is human nature to get upset when events cause disappointment. Disappointment is the abstract form of pain, and pain causes us to react. Unfortunately many of us react by wanting to inflict pain back on the perceived source of our pain.

In the fourth quarter, Johnny Mac made some huge passes in those drives for the two touchdowns. But for some he will be remembered only for his turnovers.

McCummings had a turnover, and was fortunate to avoid a second one, that could have cost UConn the game. He didn't have any passing yards. But these deficiencies are ignored by some people because of his touchdowns.

I feel both QB's contributed to the win. There is no way of knowing what the outcome of the game would have been if the game was played differently.

Suffice it to say, the same people who want McCummings or Nebrich in the game will be the first to turn on either of those players if they fail to get good results.

Reaction Score
McCummings didn't have any passing yards b/c he didn't attempt a pass. I only recall him even dropping back to throw one, and that's when he was sacked and fumbled (recovered by UConn fortunately).

I don't think JMc should be booed, but disagree w/ the improvement piece. He's completed nice balls all season, and he's failed to read D's or sense pressure all season too. He's inconsistent. When he has no pressure, and has plenty of time to set his feet and throw, he is okay (not great - still misses guys). When he is pressured, generally nothing good comes from it. I wish him all the success in the world, but i get the sense we're seeing his best right now (hear this from people very close to the situation as well). I hope we get SMc more involved in the passing O'.

Reaction Score
McCummings didn't have any passing yards b/c he didn't attempt a pass. I only recall him even dropping back to throw one, and that's when he was sacked and fumbled (recovered by UConn fortunately).

I don't think JMc should be booed, but disagree w/ the improvement piece. He's completed nice balls all season, and he's failed to read D's or sense pressure all season too. He's inconsistent. When he has no pressure, and has plenty of time to set his feet and throw, he is okay (not great - still misses guys). When he is pressured, generally nothing good comes from it. I wish him all the success in the world, but i get the sense we're seeing his best right now (hear this from people very close to the situation as well). I hope we get SMc more involved in the passing O'.

Welcome to college football. What do you expect?

Reaction Score

Well, he is essentially a first year starter. What is he, red shirt junior?

Reaction Score
I was very dissapointed to hear McEntee booed that was ridiculous I will never boo one of our players in fact I thought Mac played well in the second half at least the staff put him in situations to suceed. As for as the game day atmosphere I thought it was pretty awesome the crowd was really into it, at the start of the second half the crowd was kind of out of it but by about the mid 3rd quarter they really got into it, there is no question it effected Cuse on its last drive. The band and DJ were great, the sideline reporter annoyed the out of me dont mean to be mean but I was annoyed that she was doing her interviews while the offical was saying what the penalty was. Those interviews should be during TO only. The score keeper I thought did a terrible job giving the down and distance until the 4th quarter. Overall it was an awesome gameday atmosphere.

Reaction Score
I was very dissapointed to hear McEntee booed that was ridiculous I will never boo one of our players in fact I thought Mac played well in the second half at least the staff put him in situations to suceed. As for as the game day atmosphere I thought it was pretty awesome the crowd was really into it, at the start of the second half the crowd was kind of out of it but by about the mid 3rd quarter they really got into it, there is no question it effected Cuse on its last drive. The band and DJ were great, the sideline reporter annoyed the out of me dont mean to be mean but I was annoyed that she was doing her interviews while the offical was saying what the penalty was. Those interviews should be during TO only. The score keeper I thought did a terrible job giving the down and distance until the 4th quarter. Overall it was an awesome gameday atmosphere.
those interviews need to just stop altogether. bad idea.

Reaction Score
It bothers me that I cannot get chairback seats the week of the game? Why won't they sell these individually? Sometimes there are a couple extra people in my crew and I want to buy chairbacks but have zero idea how to get them. They were about 60% full yesterday, and that might be generous.

Reaction Score
It bothers me that I cannot get chairback seats the week of the game? Why won't they sell these individually? Sometimes there are a couple extra people in my crew and I want to buy chairbacks but have zero idea how to get them. They were about 60% full yesterday, and that might be generous.

Yeh, it seems that quite a few people buy the chairbacks but miss a lot of games. There may not be many actually available to buy.
On one hand it's good to have that financial support but empty seats don't help much during the game. It's really too bad that the establishment won't let anyone sit in them even after the second half has started.

Reaction Score
The worst part of booing McEntee is that I'd rather have him in there than Frazer or Lorenzen.

Our board has had some pretty mean, spiteful things said about Lorenzen and Frazer, but this may be the most demeaning thing ever said about TL and Zach.

Reaction Score

He was rushed a lot yesterday, and moved around the pocket much better than he has all season.

Reaction Score
I was at the game and was also impressed with the crowd overall. It was definitely a late arriving crowd but everyone was into the game.

Watched the game on TV, and it appeared to be a full house, and the crowd sounded pretty loud, even early in the game.

I was impressed, considering the power outage and 3-5 record.

Reaction Score
There were a number of fans that came in after the end of the 1st quarter above the student section end but this crowd stayed to the end better than any game this year. I thought we were going to see Iowa St all over again with all the missed 1st half opportunities on offense but the team stayed with it. A great way to end that nightmare week.

Reaction Score
Trust me, if the thousands of fans who stand in the shadows and under the scoreboard had to sit in their seats like at most other stadiums, those empty looking seats would not exist.

Reaction Score
the stadium looked full on tv. it was definitely a nice showing for the crowd

U

UConn9604

I thought it was a good crowd, too. Everyone in my section was into the game from Nick's first return and you could tell that the 'Cuse fans made a solid showing too -- because their obnoxious orange stood out wherever they sat. In all honesty, they had a decent tailgating presence and were pretty good fans throughout.

I actually think the crowds have been decent this year for Iowa State, South Florida and yesterday. Nothing infuriates me more, however, than when some amateur insurance executive who can't tell the difference between Jesse Joseph and Jerome Junior gets a pair of hand-me-down tickets in my section for a garbage early non-conference game and then has the nerve to yell at me for standing up on third down. It's unbelievably infuriating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom