OT: - Cronin holding tryouts to see which players go to Memphis with the team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Cronin holding tryouts to see which players go to Memphis with the team

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
His teams really do have a knack for tightening up once March hits. It's really something to see.

I can't imagine what the common ingredient is that consistently ingrains that pucker factors in to his teams.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Calhoun was intense.

Cronin is crazy.

Massive difference between the two.

Similar to the difference between being eccentric and being crazy is one has a few million bucks and the other doesn't?

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
This is a Highschool football Coach approach for better results. I love it

Reaction Score
Hey the guy is a good coach. You don’t go to the Dance 9 years straight unless you are pretty darned good. And he has had some tough games including losing to Multiple Final Four teams and 2 teams that went on to win it all. Yeah they’ve also had some disappointing losses. But when you get there every year that is going to happen.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
good pr alludes mick like second weekend appearances. somehow he always manages to say the dumbest things at the worst times. its arguably his greatest skill

Does Mick have a stash of other players that could potentially come along to Memphis? Is this an open school tryout? I'm just trying to figure out how this whole strategy works.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
If you have no intention to follow through with a threat why even bother?
It's hyperbole. It's the way a gnome says, "It's tournament time and I was really upset with your effort tonight, so you guys have to play harder from here on out."

Reaction Score
Similar to the difference between being eccentric and being crazy is one has a few million bucks and the other doesn't?

More national championships
A Hall of Fame spot
Multiple conference titles and a few Final Four appearances
National Prominence
A reputation for having his players prepared for March
Players who regularly go to the NBA
Respect from players instead of fear.

Just take your pick, really.

Reaction Score
I just don't think Cincinnati is very good this year. They're obviously good enough to make the tournament, but I wasn't impressed with them this season. I think UCF has a better chance to win a game or two than them. Maybe he's just trying to light a fire under his players, but I don't think that Houston loss is that shocking given how much better Houston is.

Reaction Score
His teams really do have a knack for tightening up once March hits. It's really something to see.
This is pretty much across all Cincinnati sports lol. I’m fully expecting to see UC get sent home in the first round.

Reaction Score
The guy can coach but this seems self-destructive. If he's losing guys on the team, this is only going to accelerate that process.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati has over achieved this year in a lot of ways. They have one offensive player. They have won a ton of close games that could of gone either way.
But we all know how this ends...

Reaction Score
Calhoun was intense.

Cronin is crazy.

Massive difference between the two.
Not defending Cronin at all. Trust Me. But I’m genuinely interested in your response to this question.

Which way does Hurley lean towards the most, intense(Calhoun) or crazy(Cronin)?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Cronin: 'We'll have tryouts tomorrow'

"Following the University of Cincinnati's men's basketball 85-69 loss to the University of Houston Sunday afternoon, UC head coach Mick Cronin said his team will have a tryout tomorrow to find out who will be going to the upcoming American Athletic Conference tournament in Memphis this coming week."

Interesting approach.

It’s not interesting.

He’s going to take his scholarship players and his walk-ons to Memphis.

He knows it, the players know it, everyone knows it.

This is one of these dumb things some coaches do because they think they’re master motivators when they’re anything but. I’m sure Cronin will soon report that his team had a great practice this week, really focused, ready for action, insert whatever else here.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Not defending Cronin at all. Trust Me. But I’m genuinely interested in your response to this question.

Which way does Hurley lean towards the most, intense(Calhoun) or crazy(Cronin)?

Hurley is not a little bit of both, he is mostly Calhoun's style of intense with a large dose of his own kind of crazy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
These tactics are always backwards looking for effectiveness.

Massimino benches his players against G'town in BE tourney when 'Nova is getting blown out and a few weeks later Nova shocks the world. Brilliant.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Does Mick have a stash of other players that could potentially come along to Memphis? Is this an open school tryout? I'm just trying to figure out how this whole strategy works.
ye he's got 32 students ready to go for tryouts

Reaction Score
This doesn't work unless you actually don't bring players. Otherwise, it's just a foolish gimmick. Team will never respect you after it.

I have kicked a kid off the team and held a tryout for the last spot again before. Different situation--it was behavioral--but if you don't follow through there's no point. Can't just be all talk Mick.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom