Creme's Game Preview - CT vs. OSU | The Boneyard

Creme's Game Preview - CT vs. OSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dee is incredibly gracious here, as always.

This is a great synopsis of what each team needs to accomplish in order to win. Full disclosure, I am an OSU alum, and, OSU Women's basketball fan. First, so impressed with this UCONN blog, and the UCONN basketball bloggers. I wish we had a similar blog for OSU athletics. This is UCONN's game, but OSU does have a chance. From my perspective, it won't be OSU's offense that wins the game (should OSU win), it will be OSU's defense that wins the game for OSU. OSU plays straight man-to-man, which in my view, is going to be problematic for OSU. I believe OSU has players on the floor that can D-up any of the UCONN players, except for Breanna. DePaul exposed Ruth Hamblin's inability to guard a mobile post. If Ruth came out to check DePaul's BIG, then there was no defense in the middle, and, Ruth was unable to defend the 3-point line, which DePaul took full advantage. I don't know how OSU will make up for Ruth's inability to defend Breanna. Zone? I don't believe OSU will zone UCONN, having played man-to-man 99% of the time. Thanks for letting me blog here. I only wish for an exciting game, and, not a 30+ point blowout.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This is a great synopsis of what each team needs to accomplish in order to win. Full disclosure, I am an OSU alum, and, OSU Women's basketball fan. First, so impressed with this UCONN blog, and the UCONN basketball bloggers. I wish we had a similar blog for OSU athletics. This is UCONN's game, but OSU does have a chance. From my perspective, it won't be OSU's offense that wins the game (should OSU win), it will be OSU's defense that wins the game for OSU. OSU plays straight man-to-man, which in my view, is going to be problematic for OSU. I believe OSU has players on the floor that can D-up any of the UCONN players, except for Breanna. DePaul exposed Ruth Hamblin's inability to guard a mobile post. If Ruth came out to check DePaul's BIG, then there was no defense in the middle, and, Ruth was unable to defend the 3-point line, which DePaul took full advantage. I don't know how OSU will make up for Ruth's inability to defend Breanna. Zone? I don't believe OSU will zone UCONN, having played man-to-man 99% of the time. Thanks for letting me blog here. I only wish for an exciting game, and, not a 30+ point blowout.
Welcome to the board. We're happy to have an OSU fan here. Feel free to stick around after the game, too.

Teams that have done best vs UConn have played an active match up zone to limit Stewie's and Morgan Tuck's movement in the paint and dared UConn to beat them from the arc. Unfortunately for those teams, all five starters can shoot the three. Playing man-to-man exclusively against the Huskies could be, ah, problematic.

Again - welcome!

Reaction Score
Welcome to the board. We're happy to have an OSU fan here. Feel free to stick around after the game, too.

Teams that have done best vs UConn have played an active match up zone to limit Stewie's and Morgan Tuck's movement in the paint and dared UConn to beat them from the arc. Unfortunately for those teams, all five starters can shoot the three. Playing man-to-man exclusively against the Huskies could be, ah, problematic.

Again - welcome!

Thank you HuskyNan for the welcome. No matter the outcome of the game, I'll come back afterwards and provide a perspective. Really like UCONN fans, very knowledgeable, and, respectful, much like the UCONN Women's coaching staff and players. FYI: OSU's perimeter defenders (Hanson, Weise, Weisner) are solid. OSU is exposed with Ruth Hamblin who cannot defend anyone on the perimeter. Deven Hunter is a much better defender around the basket, but, can easily be beat at the perimeter, and, foul prone. OSU does have two other subs who are solid defenders: 6' 2" Katie McWilliams (freshman guard), and, 6' 3" Samantha Siegner (senior). When Sidney Weise broke her hand, Katie McWilliams was thrown in the starting line-up, and performed admirably. She will likely see time in this game. Samantha Siegner is a decent defender, but, lacks offensive skills (she could not get off a shot on her own against UCONN). One other sub who has had substantial minutes and has played well for OSU is 6' 5" Marie Gullich. She is much better offensive player near the basket than Ruth. She is just a sophomore, and still learning. I expect an 8-women rotation from OSU vs UCONN.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let history record that I gave you your first Like.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I think Hamblin would try to guard Tuck. Tuck is inside out and usually takes someone like Hamblin outside to open the inside for Stewart or drive to the basket. Stewie is a nightmare match up so Hamblin on Stewie makes no sense since Stewie will start outside and bomb away or cut quickly to the basket leaving her defender behind. She is more mobile than Tuck and a freak athlete.

My gut is Hamblin gets in foul trouble early leaving the bench to mix and match.

Reaction Score
I think Hamblin would try to guard Tuck. Tuck is inside out and usually takes someone like Hamblin outside to open the inside for Stewart or drive to the basket. Stewie is a nightmare match up so Hamblin on Stewie makes no sense since Stewie will start outside and bomb away or cut quickly to the basket leaving her defender behind. She is more mobile than Tuck and a freak athlete.

My gut is Hamblin gets in foul trouble early leaving the bench to mix and match.

As an OSU Fan, if OSU is getting burned from the outside by UCONN because of Hamblin's lack of perimeter defense (a given), then my hope is OSU coach quickly pulls Hamblin for a much better perimeter defender. OSU will suffer in the middle (defending hoop & rebounding). No doubt OSU will be put in a "pick your poison" situation with this UCONN team.

Reaction Score
You think Hamblin can stick with Morgan? Not a chance. Morgan's footwork is incredible, and her moves are too quick. Hamblin has gotten in foul trouble during the tournament and will do so again Sunday night. Kia and Katie Lou hitting their shots will seal the deal. Also, Gabby and Napheesa will help Breanna control the boards and get the fast break moving. Go UConn.

Reaction Score
You think Hamblin can stick with Morgan? Not a chance. Morgan's footwork is incredible, and her moves are too quick. Hamblin has gotten in foul trouble during the tournament and will do so again Sunday night. Kia and Katie Lou hitting their shots will seal the deal. Also, Gabby and Napheesa will help Breanna control the boards and get the fast break moving. Go UConn.

OSU fan here. Hamblin cannot guard any of the UCONN starting 5. Not sure how OSU coach is going to scheme the defense. OSU has 4 pretty solid defenders (3 excellent perimeter defenders). Deven Hunter is decent defender around the hoop, but Tuck will be a BIG challenge for Deven Hunter the further away from the basket she has to check Tuck.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Hi, LO. And welcome.

I think your point about exclusively man-to-man is the biggest key. I don't see a man-to-man team beating UConn. One of the things I brag about to people is that, in addition to everything else, UConn has the best defensive backcourt in the country. So this will be a fun matchup between the OSU guards and Mo and Kia.

Good luck, and I hope you will stick around.

Reaction Score
Hi, LO. And welcome.

I think your point about exclusively man-to-man is the biggest key. I don't see a man-to-man team beating UConn. One of the things I brag about to people is that, in addition to everything else, UConn has the best defensive backcourt in the country. So this will be a fun matchup between the OSU guards and Mo and Kia.

Good luck, and I hope you will stick around.

Agreed. I think OSU coach has got something up his sleeve defensively? More than anything, I believe OSU is going to have adjust on the fly and quickly if UCONN gets on one of those UCONN 10-12 point runs over a 60 second span!

Reaction Score
Last year, Dawn Staley said in the beginning of tournament time--"I think we should start working on our zone." South Carolina is basically a man to man --like OSU. If anyone believes that OSU can just instantaneously work on zone or some funky Box & 1, then IMHO there will be some unpleasant surprises for OSU. Most of us know that something new at this stage brings hesitation and confusion. Geno has recently stated that a player or team doesn't just decide in the last few weeks to become good at ---whatever!
UConn is so unique in that they practice EVERY situation, every defense, and their system of offense is used because they read and react to WHATEVER is in front of them. Again we all know that UConn has practiced this system from day one--over and over. In fact, 4 of the players have practiced this together for two years. And the big three for 4 years.
Mr. LO --I am really interested to see what the OSU coach has up his sleeve. Yes, anything can happen. What we sometimes forget is that Geno has two sleeves and is 10 and O in the big ones. Can't wait for game time.

Reaction Score
I think many of us believe that UConn was out of sync offensively against TX: many ill advised passes, at least 2 shot clock violations, a lot of standing around. OSU is a lot better defensive team than TX, with length to complicate. It will be interesting.

Reaction Score
I think you got it...it wouldn't surprise me if OSU makes KLS and Kia beat them from the perimeter by sagging down low to prevent Stewie and Tuck from having their way and to keep Mo from beating their point guard off the dribble. This could be a game for our Killer K's to show their stuff. OSU has such limited options for effectively dealing with Stewie and Tuck down low that they will have to take some serious risks on the defensive end.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think you got it...it wouldn't surprise me if OSU makes KLS and Kia beat them from the perimeter by sagging down low to prevent Stewie and Tuck from having their way and to keep Mo from beating their point guard off the dribble. This could be a game for our Killer K's to show their stuff. OSU has such limited options for effectively dealing with Stewie and Tuck down low that they will have to take some serious risks on the defensive end.
Very true Rugby................OSU must take some risks (sagging) and pray that UConn miss a lot of shots and they get the rebound. The Killer K's , as you put it , is the (k)ey to the game , in my opinion. Because if Kia and Katie Lou are hitting from the outside opening up the middle , the Beavers are dead in the water and become winter hats and coats. The other thing the Beavers may try is to slow the game down and run some clock. But then they let the vaunted UConn "D" get set up. Not good for OSU............But again , they got to take some risks.

But if the UConn offense come out clicking (a la MSU) there will be nothing that OSU can do.

GO HUSKIES!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Problem is they have limited options for dealing with Stewart and Tuck outside as well. Hamblin is a really good player with great size, but in man to man against Tuck or Stewart 15+ feet from the basket she will be a liability. They don't play zone I gather so they may end up having to replace Hamblin defensively, and when they do that, Tuck and Stewart will have the advantage in the low post, and OSU will not have Hamblin on offense which will hurt at that end. They can try doubling down, but then they have to pray for bad three point shooting.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
For Oregon State, it's easy to say, "Make Lou and Kia beat us", but I don't think Geno will cooperate with that game plan. He will not allow the seniors to be taken out of the game offensively. They may have to hit jump shots and a certain number of 3's, but they will remain the backbone of UConn's offense. I would not expect Lou's and Kia's contribution to the offense to have to be any more significant than it has been all year.

Do you really think OSU will allow Stewart / Nurse / Jefferson to just bomb away from the 3-point line? (They simply have to cover KLS unless it's clear that she can't hit the side of a barn on Sunday night.) Even if they only hit 35-40%, and they should hit more than that if the shots are completely uncontested, I can't see that as a winning strategy for OSU.

Reaction Score
JoePgh/UCMiami/HGN/RugbyMate: You all got it correct....OSU will have to take some risks on the defensive end. OSU is not going to out offense UCONN. OSU's calling card is defense. OSU must keep UCONN score under 60 points to have a chance. If Ruth Hamblin becomes a defensive liability because she cannot defend to the perimeter, OSU does have subs who can. The question is will Coach Rueck pull the trigger on replacing Ruth Hamblin, and will he do it quickly? He has a great freshman guard, 6' 2" Katy McWilliams, who has played significant minutes throughout this season, and, is a solid defender already. He also has a 6' 3" defensive role player, Sam Siegner, who has good feet, but no offense. He also has a solid post player, Marie Gullich, but she is not going to guard anyone on the perimeter. Our perimeter players, Hanson, Weise, & Weisner, are all solid defenders. We just don't have an answer for the mobile UCONN BIGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom