Creighton Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Creighton Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
My two cents

I didn’t think we played consistently well on defense. Too much penetration throughout. Luckily it is rare that we play against a team that moves as much or as well as Creighton.

PB – weird to say that she didn’t have her best game when she almost had a double double to go with several steals and knocked down passes. But against top level teams, we will need more point production. Still had a very good game though, just not so much against expectations.

CW – played well. Shot well. Hit some 3s where it was based on timing and she couldn’t wait. I think she is better this way. Seems to be shooting well over the last few games. That is really huge.

NM – As much as I like NM, I didn’t see this coming. But essentially she hit most of her wide open shots AND added a mid-range where she created some space for herself. It would be really great if she and CW could hit a couple 3s every game and shoot at roughly 40% doing it. Keep in mind most of these 3s are where they are both wide open.

Still can’t seem to make contested layups otherwise she has over 20 points. She got away with the swipe attack today but I don’t think it works very well against top level guards and then leaves her vulnerable for the drive. I wish she just wouldn’t do it. She is just an all-day pest for the opposition.

EW – She hasn’t shot that well for quite some time now. Shot is off right and flat. I wonder if she needs a week off to get back to form.

Liv – did what she had to do and nice game. My issue with her is that even when she has the open outside shot and with a smaller player on her, she still tends to fade a bit which makes her shot come up short. This is something she finds hard not to do.

AE – solid game again. Not sure why she didn’t get more minutes. She needs to play and get used to playing over 20 minutes a game… She had a few too many turnovers.

AG – again didn’t play that much. But she still makes an impact immediately as usual.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have never seen a player defend with such a wide base yet be so laterally quick. @CocoHusky with you been the defensive guru, have you noticed this? Seen it before?
Aubrey was especially active on defense in this game. As far as having seen it before from a UCONN player Kalana Greene was exceptional and Kelly Faris was world class good at it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have never seen a player defend with such a wide base yet be so laterally quick. @CocoHusky with you been the defensive guru, have you noticed this? Seen it before?
That wide defensive stance is something you see more frequently in the NBA, so I’m guessing that it is something Aubrey picked up from current NBA coach, former NBA player and lifelong dad, Adrian Griffin. As you point out, Aubrey’s lateral quickness makes it all work.

Reaction Score
I agree as to Evina especially. She shoots her 3 slightly off the right side of her body ordinarily and that is her miss but lately it has been more pronounced. I think the problem is with her footwork. She is not squared up to the basket when she receives the ball and has an open 3. In other words she doesn't "hop" into position to shoot before she receives it because she doesn't want to shoot it lately and is oftentimes out of squared up position.

As to defense, we shut everybody else down but Carda had a memorable night against the best team in the country. Many of her shots came at the end of the shot clock but I agree with you that the lock down defense wasn't there on her. I thought Evina would be that type of defender but she does not have the side to side movement right now because of her knee. I think she will be a different player next year wherever she is because the knee will be further strengthened. We need her to be a 40% three point shooter for the NCAAs.

The team shoots 35% from the arc but if you take Paige out of the equation, we drop down to 30%. The simple solution is for Paige to be shooting the majority or plurality of the 3s if possible in the tourney.

ONO actually has very good free throw form and has a good 15 foot shot. It is when she goes out farther that the shots seem to be less likely to go in. She also has to be on the low block more and I mean the low block. If you watch her, she will be about 2 feet in front of it, not in ideal position.

Finally, that little pull up J by Nika was "we didn't know you had that shot but we really like it". I loved her comment when interviewed after and asked about her steals. She said that she did have 5 steals but putting that aside the team did not play good defense so she obviously has a bigger picture in mind which I thought was great. All about the team. People talk about Paige and AE when they are seniors. Imagine Nika 4 years from now as well. And Kara Wolters is right, there are a lot of similarities in Nika with the grit and fire of a point guard on the 1995 team whose initials are JR.

Reaction Score
Did Clark Kent , jump in the phonebooth, tear off his suit ( His clothing costs had to be outrageous) and fly to a traffic stop? NO he only came to the rescue for something serious.
Paige Bueckers has no interest in scoring points UNTIL or unless they are needed. A great game for her against these outmatched foes, is to get assists. Her shooting, in her mind, is not needed. She wants to get other players more involved.
Opposition teams slack off Muhl and Liv , leaving them wide open. When they make those shots , as did Nika yesterday, it does open the floor for the TEAM.
Geno's only concern moving forward is that when Nika and Liv STOP making those shots, he doesn't Paige to stay in that passive mindset.
Superwoman may need to reappear!

Reaction Score
I hope everyone noticed that Anna was not in a boot at today's game... Geno says he doesn't know when she'll be able to play but progress must be taking place if she's out of the boot.
Yes, one of the first things I was looking for. Still can't figure our why all the hush-hush about the injury, and timetable for return. I'm also miffed that Geno does not give Autumn a minute or two at the end of the game. Is it just me??

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
When Paige scored 30 points or more for three games, some were saying she needed other players to step up and help. So, now that she has not scored as many points as she had been and her teammates have been contributing, some are saying she must have hit the freshman wall and needs to start scoring like she had been. UConn won by 31 points and Paige scored 13. Her scoring is not always needed to be in the twenties. What does it take to satisfy some of you? When Paige scores a lot, some say her teammates need to help more. When her teammates score a lot, some say Paige needs to regain her shooting touch. One poster said UConn will be playing against guards better than Carda. They have already played against guards just as good or better than Carda and yet they have lost only one game. She did not score much in the first game they played. It is not unusual for a player who has not scored well in previous games, to go off on UConn, especially three point shooters. Usually after a player scores a lot against UConn, they don't score as much the next time they play. Yes, many UConn fans are truly spoiled.

Reaction Score
I’m a bit more positive than some on the game. I thought for most of the game the defense was stellar and we made them use the entire shot clock a lot. Aubrey when guarding Carda shut her down. It was more of when Paige was on her or Nika some defensive breakdowns occurred but to be fair I think the team was working so hard the entire game against another team that moves so much that I’m ok with it because conditioning still looked great

• Paige - I’m not worried about Paige one bit. Yes her shot has been a little off ever since she tweaked the ankle but the other areas she’s contributing tells me her shot will come around Plus we’re seeing lots of confidence in the team right now to pick up the scoring slack
  • Liv - I though was effective and didn’t press offensively or defensively. There are times where you wonder why she doesn’t go down low or score near the basket more given the competition but I think she just doesn’t like that part of the game. She enjoys facilitating and shooting outside shots and receiving passes for layups. Her one on one post moves seem to thrown out of her arsenal right now
  • CW - solid game. I loved the mean look she gave the ref when there was a late foul call. She’s mentally in the game now and it’s been a few games in a row where she’s letting the game come to her and not pressing. Happy for her and where she’s at
  • Nika - amazing q1 and even though her shot is a little higher arc than I’d like but it does look nice when it rips the net when she doesn’t rush her form. Hope she can keep it up. Like many have said if she can be a threat to just shoot it will be so huge for us in the tournament. She cradles the ball a bit when she drives hard and when she has to extend to make a layup it takes too much time and thus some missed layups
  • Evina - I think when she plays the midrange game and the short floater near the basket that’s when she’s at her best. I was glad to see one three go in the hoop but her shot does seem to be drifting to the right. I hope in the next few games she will continue to shoot during games because we need her to have the confidence to do so in the tournament and right the ship. As always solid game for her.
  • AG - thought had a great defensive game and although scoring wise was not needed she does seem to be less hesitant. One bad air ball though. Maybe we need her to envision Geno wearing #33 every time she shoots
  • AE - solid. She does what she does
  • Mir - doesn’t look great out there. Saw at least one blown defensive assignment and offensively is out of control; loves going up against multiple defenders
  • Saylor - she looks better in terms of knowing where to be on the court and she didn’t have that shoot first mentality. Perhaps Simeon has asked her to reign in her shots per minute pace.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If Paige is hitting the freshman wall, I want to hit the same wall. She is constantly looking for someone wide open, often in the lane. The team has scored over 80 the last few games. She fills a stat sheet. If this were a team that needed her to score 25-30 a game, which she could do, we’d be a good but not great team. One thing about her shot. It is almost always dead on line. She misses short or long but rarely off to a side. And I suspect her ankle isn’t 100%.

And Edwards hmm. I’m trying to remember if Tuck or Collier were as good as freshman. Consistent as heck.

Muhl has started to make her not necessarily always scoring.

Even Mir on a different team would be fine. She’s very active and doesn’t disappear when she’s on the floor.

Great class.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
They look pretty much on track to me. Geno seems to be getting them used to the idea that they can push a different button every night. Let's dial up a game from Christyn one night, Nika or Liv the next. Not sure that Evina has too many 20 point games in her, but she's still glue with her handle, passing and rebounding. Teams that force us to play the arc have been able to get in the lane but Liv and Aaliyah are both doing much better at not giving up stupid fouls. I think we're locked into a 7-deep for meaningful minutes. Stay sharp and healthy for the next couple of weeks and they'll have better than a punchers chance. Five or six teams maybe with a shot at the NC but we won't have to play more than two of them.

Reaction Score
Paige really only guarded Carda in the fourth - Geno put her in and had her face guard her, chasing her all over the court. It was sort of an odd move - we’ll likely not ask her to do that and waste so much energy in a close game. There was some Geno message being sent there, or else maybe he was seeing how she’d respond in that role if we did have to try it someday. In that stretch, Carda got a couple paint jumpers on her at the end of the shot clock, and Paige had a couple steals denying the ball, so maybe a wash, but I didn’t see anything that led me to believe she could be Kelly Faris. A few times she was a step slow reacting to cuts and wasn’t able to make the pass difficult.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This team has a lot of answers and they play as a team. Big things are coming this year.
They can go as far as they want to if they play for each other, and play as a team. EVERY UConn player has to BE IN AND STAY IN THE MOMENT. Understand where you are (offense or defense) and be ready to make a play at any given moment. UConn committed 8 personal fouls yesterday sending Creighton to the line 3 times. That was outstanding!! You're going to be very hard to beat if you only send your opponent to the line 3 times. The 11 turnovers is acceptable given the pace of the game, although I'd like to see our TO's kept to single digits. Creighton for example had 17.

You're also going to be able to keep your best players on the court without foul trouble. THAT is of paramount importance. We are not the same team with ONO on the bench. Edwards is good, but she's NOT ONO. Piath is nowhere near ready (maybe this time next year) to step in to play meaningful minutes in a NCAA tournament game yet.

You know the road to the final four will not be easy. They are going to see some very "stiff" competition along the way. Their first game against a 16 seed should not present much of a problem. In Charlie Creme's proposed bracket, UConn plays the winner of Iowa State (15-9)/Virginia Tech (13-7) in game number 2. Both teams with winning records from a P-5 conference. Arkansas is 18-7 from a P-5 conference. :confused:

Reaction Score
Wow, I did not know that I was making any excuses for PB. Her game was as you said AND she was phenomenal passing. My comment was more directed to the players that bobbled or weren’t expecting passes, to be ready at all times. Since your defensive comment seems to be directed at the BY in general, I will not take it personally.
Why would you take it personally? I didn’t address my comment to anyone in particular. Just my opinion, but the hyperbole attached to many of the many threads and comments devoted to her here are ridiculous. Since the peach basket, every “pass first” player has lost assists because of a bobble or a missed shot, just part of the game. Just as there are rebounders who get tough rebounds in traffic and those who get them unopposed on missed foul shots. Or scorers who pad there stats in garbage time versus those who can score when the game is on the line.
As I said, Bueckers is an absolutely terrific player who has yet to write her story. All I’m saying is let her write it.

Reaction Score
I agree as to Evina especially. She shoots her 3 slightly off the right side of her body ordinarily and that is her miss but lately it has been more pronounced. I think the problem is with her footwork. She is not squared up to the basket when she receives the ball and has an open 3. In other words she doesn't "hop" into position to shoot before she receives it because she doesn't want to shoot it lately and is oftentimes out of squared up position.

As to defense, we shut everybody else down but Carda had a memorable night against the best team in the country. Many of her shots came at the end of the shot clock but I agree with you that the lock down defense wasn't there on her. I thought Evina would be that type of defender but she does not have the side to side movement right now because of her knee. I think she will be a different player next year wherever she is because the knee will be further strengthened. We need her to be a 40% three point shooter for the NCAAs.

The team shoots 35% from the arc but if you take Paige out of the equation, we drop down to 30%. The simple solution is for Paige to be shooting the majority or plurality of the 3s if possible in the tourney.

ONO actually has very good free throw form and has a good 15 foot shot. It is when she goes out farther that the shots seem to be less likely to go in. She also has to be on the low block more and I mean the low block. If you watch her, she will be about 2 feet in front of it, not in ideal position.

Finally, that little pull up J by Nika was "we didn't know you had that shot but we really like it". I loved her comment when interviewed after and asked about her steals. She said that she did have 5 steals but putting that aside the team did not play good defense so she obviously has a bigger picture in mind which I thought was great. All about the team. People talk about Paige and AE when they are seniors. Imagine Nika 4 years from now as well. And Kara Wolters is right, there are a lot of similarities in Nika with the grit and fire of a point guard on the 1995 team whose initials are JR.
Just want to say that Liv is starting to fad slightly in her jumpers as well, even when there isn't anybody around...at least that is what I thought when I saw the replay.

Nika appears to be living the dream and having the time of her life. It shows when she is interviewed. But, she is still very focused on improvement and I think this is why she has improved so much this year. She takes to coaching like a dog takes to a bone. She soaks it all up and gets better and better.

Now if she can continue to have games like today (maybe hit her layups a bit more consistently would be nice - its like she expects a lot of contact when she goes in for a layup), then she has far exceeded expectations. I'd still be thrilled with 5-6 points against top level teams, along with the rest of her usual game.

Reaction Score
Decent game, I know many complain about the competition but some should give them credit. Most teams as Creighton did tonight bring a very good game vs UConn. A 32 point win that would have been 50 or more a few years back. The game all around is progressing.
I enjoyed seeing Nika hell bent in the first and taking advantage of the offer Geno has provided with her starting on the point. Sad it is at the expense of Anna's injury but that is the game.
There are times when Evina simply does not look comfortable at all and then a flash of this is what we need. A question mark for myself at this time.
Not fun to see 11 turnovers to diminish the 12 steals but a learning experience all the way around. This while getting the W that clinches The Big East Title. :)

No attack but another that never wants to give the defense credit. The word is out, she will be the most guarded for the rest of at least this season. Other teams watch film, they know who to guard. Any surprise this has opened up CW's inside game?

Gotta love the constant complaints about lack of competition like that is what the team, staff or anybody else desires. No attack but everyone's remote has the button to push to watch another basketball game they see more competitive. It's simple, change the channel and have more fun.

Again NO attack but I somehow have to believe with, Geno, CD, Shea, and Jamelle. At least one of them would have brought this up as a problem. Just my take.

It is also a principle of the opposing coach with an extended time out to explain, shut her down! And they did but it left others open. Totally did her part and finished as the high scorer with 19.
I found this post interesting and especially what would have hapoened a few years ago with 32 pt win versus 50... I also heard them say last night that opponents are averaging 49 pts this year which is much lower than opponents last year.

It also got me thinking so I looked at the 15-16 year schedule which I often use as a bench mark of perfection and aside from the Arkansas game, the final scores aren't generally that different this year. Many have said the AAC and BE opponents aren't that different. That 15-16 team had a lot of games where opponents were in the high 30s and they were in the 80s while this team has a lot in the lower to mid 40s and they are in the high 70s or low 80s. With so many freshman and no seniors on the team, I think that is pretty respectable UConn bball. I see leaps and bounds better defense this year than last year....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Seeing Muhl have her best game in UConn finery it seems ages ago when she was sitting on the bench, disconsolate, as Geno prodded her with an index finger to the shoulder. She's been determined enough to withstand the adversity and I'm happy for her that she's enjoying some personal success.
Nika is a very emotional kid, but she's also a very tough kid. Her personality is what the team needs.

Reaction Score
Nika is a very emotional kid, but she's also a very tough kid. Her personality is what the team needs.

In Geno's post-game presser yesterday, he said something like Nika is the fittest/best shape of everyone on the team. For someone who was considered a little out-of-shape by some people here, that is surprising to hear.

Reaction Score
Why would you take it personally? I didn’t address my comment to anyone in particular. Just my opinion, but the hyperbole attached to many of the many threads and comments devoted to her here are ridiculous. Since the peach basket, every “pass first” player has lost assists because of a bobble or a missed shot, just part of the game. Just as there are rebounders who get tough rebounds in traffic and those who get them unopposed on missed foul shots. Or scorers who pad there stats in garbage time versus those who can score when the game is on the line.
As I said, Bueckers is an absolutely terrific player who has yet to write her story. All I’m saying is let her write it.
Fair enough. I thought you were responding to something I said. To me, stats are generally overrated. It’s those rhings the player does to make the team a winner that counts most. Stats don’t reflect the intangibles.

Reaction Score
In Geno's post-game presser yesterday, he said something like Nika is the fittest/best shape of everyone on the team. For someone who was considered a little out-of-shape by some people here, that is surprising to hear.
Is us (collectively) not really knowing the reality of what's going on actually that surprising? ;-) LOL

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I’m actually happy about her relatively poorer shooting. She had been shooting at an unsustainable level. I wanted her to drop off some and then get hot in the postseason. So far, my plan is working.
I'e been in support of the theory that Paige is slightly injured
and it doesn't take much to throw off your shot...then you overcompensate
and good things do not happen.
With E, the problem is more pronounced and (among other things), her long range shooting
has gone South.
I expect (hope) that Paige's ankle is less serious and we shall soon see a more normal
offensive line from her.

Reaction Score
Well...

Nice out the gate. Well done first quarter. First half was about a B+ overall, maybe A-, but 2nd half a solid C.

Nice to see Nika find her shooting touch. She's easily the POG

Has Paige hit the freshman wall? 11 and 13 the past 2 games scoring will hurt her NPOY chances. She had some highlight reel assists, but her shooting touch seems to be MIA.

Liv seemed MIA at times, then suddenly I noticed she had a double double. Way to go Liv!!

Need just a few more points for Evina and Liya - would have been great to see 5 players in double figures! My friend @MilfordHusky calls Aaliyah "Thor". I think that's the best nickname I've seen in a while.

Aubrey plays so hard on the floor. I hope she can put it all together. She oozes potential.

Not sure what is up with Mir, but watching her play today helped me partly understand why she's been riding the pine.

Overall a solid game against a team who recently beat DePaul and Seton Hall. Can't go by their overall record (Creighton) as they were decimated by injuries early on. That kid Carda is a baller!!
Aubrey is going to be a player that other teams let "stand free" at the three point line...or anywhere that isn't within two steps of the hoop. She simply has no shooting touch at all. So she needs to pass, drive, or get out of the way. I love her game, but it does have that one flaw...she has no shot. It does not mean she isn't a great asset. She is. And she can score twenty every game under the hoop, and on drives/fast breaks. But it is embarrassing to watch her shoot from distance. Eventhough, she can do decently at the foul line. A puzzlement.

Reaction Score
So what is UConn supposed to do, not play. They play who is on the schedule and by winning by so much it tells us they are a really good team. If they were struggling to win the games, I could understand the doubting.
We do what we can do and do it well! The coach is mixing up the defenses against a team that runs a deliberate offense. There was nothing shabby about how we executed. We have very talented hands on defense and if, by chance a guard is beat, our bigs hold a large eraser.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom