Creighton Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Creighton Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Creighton game:
  • Nice first quarter start on offense, something we have not seen in a while.
  • It appears that Nika may have found her shooting stroke, and she continues to pick pockets on defense.
  • I really hope Evina finds her shot as well. She hit a couple today but appears to be struggling some to square up when she shoots.
  • I love watching Aubrey on defense. She has an extremely intimidating stance and literally envelopes opposing players with her long arms and legs.
  • Once Aaliyah gets all the parts working together, she will be unstoppable in the paint.
  • Quiet double-double for Liv and almost one for Paige as well.
  • Credit to Carda for a really nice game for the Bluejays.
  • While UConn’s ultimate goal is the same every year, we should all celebrate the interim goals achieved along the way. After defeating Creighton tonight, UConn has now won the regular season conference championship outright for the 8th year in a row. Oorah!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well...

Nice out the gate. Well done first quarter. First half was about a B+ overall, maybe A-, but 2nd half a solid C.

Nice to see Nika find her shooting touch. She's easily the POG

Has Paige hit the freshman wall? 11 and 13 the past 2 games scoring will hurt her NPOY chances. She had some highlight reel assists, but her shooting touch seems to be MIA.

Liv seemed MIA at times, then suddenly I noticed she had a double double. Way to go Liv!!

Need just a few more points for Evina and Liya - would have been great to see 5 players in double figures! My friend @MilfordHusky calls Aaliyah "Thor". I think that's the best nickname I've seen in a while.

Aubrey plays so hard on the floor. I hope she can put it all together. She oozes potential.

Not sure what is up with Mir, but watching her play today helped me partly understand why she's been riding the pine.

Overall a solid game against a team who recently beat DePaul and Seton Hall. Can't go by their overall record (Creighton) as they were decimated by injuries early on. That kid Carda is a baller!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nika's day today ... 19 pts, 5 stls.

Screenshot_1.png

Reaction Score
Other than the Nika show in the first quarter it was a rather pedestrian win. Defense Ok but not great. Paige has set her own bar so high that it is tough to maintain. I expect this is her hitting her freshman wall. Which for most players wouldn't be too bad.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A very good win. Defense was aggressive. 12 steals, 9 blocks, 17 Creighton turnovers. Offense flowed well. 22 assists on 33 made baskets.

4 starters in double figures. Excellent contributions by Edwards and Griffin.

Nika's breakout game!! If she duplicates this from now on, we become a very difficult team to defend.

Kudos to #4, Carda. Tough player.

Reaction Score
The game was never in doubt but except for Nika I kind of felt blah about this one. They seemed flat. A lot of forced shots at the buzzer for Creighton and they hit a number of those. Creighton runs a motion offense much like UConn does so you have to chase a lot on defense. Maybe that's why the energy on the offensive side of the ball seemed a little flat.

There are some really good players in the Big East but they are spread among the teams. Seems like a couple of teams are only one or two players away from being good, solid teams.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Creighton game:
  • Nice first quarter start on offense, something we have not seen in a while.
  • It appears that Nika may have found her shooting stroke, and she continues to pick pockets on defense.
  • I really hope Evina finds her shot as well. She hit a couple today but appears to be struggling some to square up when she shoots.
  • I love watching Aubrey on defense. She has an extremely intimidating stance and literally envelopes opposing players with her long arms and legs.
  • Once Aaliyah gets all the parts working together, she will be unstoppable in the paint.
  • Quiet double-double for Liv and almost one for Paige as well.
  • Credit to Carda for a really nice game for the Bluejays.
  • While UConn’s ultimate goal is the same every year, we should all celebrate the interim goals achieved along the way. After defeating Creighton tonight, UConn has now won the regular season conference championship outright for the 8th year in a row. Oorah!!!
she must be pretty good if PB has a game with 13 points, 9 assists, 6 rebounds and 4 steals and it's considered a rather pedestrian performance............ ;)

Reaction Score
Well...

Nice out the gate. Well done first quarter. First half was about a B+ overall, maybe A-, but 2nd half a solid C.

Nice to see Nika find her shooting touch. She's easily the POG

Has Paige hit the freshman wall? 11 and 13 the past 2 games scoring will hurt her NPOY chances. She had some highlight reel assists, but her shooting touch seems to be MIA.

Liv seemed MIA at times, then suddenly I noticed she had a double double. Way to go Liv!!

Need just a few more points for Evina and Liya - would have been great to see 5 players in double figures! My friend @MilfordHusky calls Aaliyah "Thor". I think that's the best nickname I've seen in a while.

Aubrey plays so hard on the floor. I hope she can put it all together. She oozes potential.

Not sure what is up with Mir, but watching her play today helped me partly understand why she's been riding the pine.

Overall a solid game against a team who recently beat DePaul and Seton Hall. Can't go by their overall record (Creighton) as they were decimated by injuries early on. That kid Carda is a baller!!
PG's goals are UConn winning...she will probably be freshman of the year and All-American, first or second team.

Reaction Score
Kudos to #4, Carda. Tough player.
First time I see a player wearing mask to play 40 mins. I have problem wearing a mask shopping for 30 mins and she can do it playing basketball. Definitely a tough player.

Reaction Score
The game was never in doubt but except for Nika I kind of felt blah about this one. They seemed flat. A lot of forced shots at the buzzer for Creighton and they hit a number of those. Creighton runs a motion offense much like UConn does so you have to chase a lot on defense. Maybe that's why the energy on the offensive side of the ball seemed a little flat.

There are some really good players in the Big East but they are spread among the teams. Seems like a couple of teams are only one or two players away from being good, solid teams.
I'll never forget this rec league championship game I played in back in the day. Our team was dynamic, up tempo, athletes and we played this team of older guys and they passed and passed and passed, basically putting us to sleep. We ended up losing. Ugh, even if it's effective, I just don't want to play that way. Creighton!!!
I'm sorry, I don't mean to be derogatory but most of these BE teams are like YMCA teams. It is what it is.... I'm going to hold the ball for 30 seconds, down by 30 in the fourth quarter. NOT.

Reaction Score
Paige is my new Larry Bird. Sometimes us old folks worry that we'll never have another favorite player. Larry's my age. First saw him play in the NCAA tournament against DePaul and Arkansas, both cinderella upsets for Indiana State. Everybody on that team knew their role and they even came up big in the clutch. He helped give them the confidence to play at the highest level.
Paige is the maestro on the floor. She has the baton. She's not the oboe player in the 4th row of instruments. She's figuring out what she needs to do for the team to play its best. It's a lot of responsibility. The floor opens up for the team because 1) no one can stop her 2) she sees the floor even before things happen and 3) everyone knows to move and look and they'll get the ball for a layup.
I always wondered how Larry knew when to shoot and when to pass. It's got to be innate. Paige is still perfecting that. I think when the competition stiffens, it will be more obvious to her. I want her to get 30 points and a triple double every game. Can't help but be a tad disappointed. (excited for Nika though) Got to enjoy the process. It's gunna be a fun ride I think.

Reaction Score
I guess these games are used to have players work on some things but theses laughers game after game are no way to get ready for the late rounds of the tourney. Other top seeds will end their seasons playing games where the outcome is in doubt going into the 4th quarter. UConn won’t unless they just don’t show up. Plus it’s a lot more fun to watch a good basketball game.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
First time I see a player wearing mask to play 40 mins. I have problem wearing a mask shopping for 30 mins and she can do it playing basketball. Definitely a tough player.

High School players in CT wear masks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom