Creighton Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Creighton Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I had the pleasure of watching Bird in the old Garden. Like Paige, he was not flashy; but, could see the whole court and did what the team needed to win.

But, II remember one game in which the Celtics were way ahead and Larry couldn't miss. Just for fun, he was putting up shots from all over the place- the sidelines, nearly half court, and they were all dropping,, both the Celtic team and the opposing team were on the floor, laughing,

Reaction Score
I liked the game. I was happy and pleased for the "Mule". She has been storing that up for a long time. The team is coming together. I like the way ONO played today. She was very much into the game. Paige is Paige, what more can you say. Evina and Christyn are terrific, rebounds, shooting and passing. Good stuff. Looking forward to the Marquette game as a small test.

Reaction Score
Other than the Nika show in the first quarter it was a rather pedestrian win. Defense Ok but not great. Paige has set her own bar so high that it is tough to maintain. I expect this is her hitting her freshman wall. Which for most players wouldn't be too bad.
I disagree. She decided like she does every game to get others involved in the offense early. tonight Nika hit the early shots and we looked good. We usually either try to get Christyn or Liv going. Only after others, not scoring does Paige take over. If you noticed no in the South Carolina game wanted to shoot at all. So Paige has to shoot win the game. She could score 30 every game if she wanted to. Also her ankle might be a little sore and affecting her shot a little.

Reaction Score
I'll never forget this rec league championship game I played in back in the day. Our team was dynamic, up tempo, athletes and we played this team of older guys and they passed and passed and passed, basically putting us to sleep. We ended up losing. Ugh, even if it's effective, I just don't want to play that way. Creighton!!!
I'm sorry, I don't mean to be derogatory but most of these BE teams are like YMCA teams. It is what it is.... I'm going to hold the ball for 30 seconds, down by 30 in the fourth quarter. NOT.
Yes, if you get behind on these teams it can be a stiff climb up to win. Creighton ran down the clock all evening. Their #4 player was a dynamo and the team played hard the entire game.

Reaction Score
8-9 on free throws.

I did not see the game but Creighton must not have been guarding Nika and doubling on other players. it will be important in Texas that she will take and can make those shots

Last edited:
Reaction Score
she must be pretty good if PB has a game with 13 points, 9 assists, 6 rebounds and 4 steals and it's considered a rather pedestrian performance............ ;)
I think we’ve found the flaw in Paige’s game. She doesn’t shoot well from the field in the second half when up by 20 or more. She missed all 4 second half shots against Xavier, and her last 4 shots today after that one quick make.

Hopefully they will work on that in practice.

Reaction Score
I guess these games are used to have players work on some things but theses laughers game after game are no way to get ready for the late rounds of the tourney. Other top seeds will end their seasons playing games where the outcome is in doubt going into the 4th quarter. UConn won’t unless they just don’t show up. Plus it’s a lot more fun to watch a good basketball game.
I remember an old Chinese slang: You don't expect an ivory comes out from the mouth of a dog .

Reaction Score
Paige (and the team in general) relies too much on the 3. Live by the 3, die by the 3...

Paige could beat most defenders and take a mid-range jumper or layup. Much easier percentage shot to make. Hope she starts doing that again. As Geno said, sometimes she becomes too unselfish....

Reaction Score
Evina was 4-9 from the field with 1-5 from beyond the arc. She made a layup and 2 pull up Js to go along with a 3. I was happy she took 9 shots. She seems not to be squared up on her 3s though. She shoots it from the side anyway but those shots are going off to the right. Some extra time in the gym ( even 30 minutes ) with one of the coaches to square up her feet and body should help. Now that Nika is feeling it, if Evina can make those shots even at 40% we will be very, very difficult to beat. Geno said about Nika that we have to remember she is way behind in minutes because of the early season. She was feeling it tonight, that's for sure, but was still very unselfish. As Geno pointed out, Creighton runs a rapid movement motion offense which can take the entire shot clock. The tendency on opposing offense is to shoot fast because you played defense so long. The way to handle it, according to Geno, is not to rush but rather to methodically run your offense against them and make them get tired.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A quick look at the box score brought a smile to my face. No one was in foul trouble tonight. Paige, Christyn and Aaliyah had 2, Nika and Piath had 1, every one else kept their hands to themselves. The fact that we’re able to play the tight “in you face” defense without fouling is refreshing. I like what I’m seeing from this team since the loss. :)

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think in some respects the team moved backwards today ...or at least not forward.
There certainly were high points but all in all it was not a performance
that would prevail in the late stages of the NCAA's
Things that concerned me...
- For the upteenth time, E landed awkwardly and aggravated her damaged knee;
it's undoubtedly effecting her confidence in her shot. Makes me sick to see it.
- the half court offense was not really doing its thing of getting people good shots
especially (as Geno noted) into the interior and back out.
-Our opponents leading scorer went off and we had no answers for how to stop her.
-Paige (in front of her mom) had a decent game (for anyone else) but for her underachieved (assists and
all).
- So Nika was hot as a bonfire in the 1st quarter ...and she didn't even get a shot in the 2nd? I thought
one of the principles of BB is you feed the hot shooter.

There was a certain lack of crispness to the passing and the O in considerable chunks of the game...bailed out in the 1st quarter by Nika's 3's and steals for hoops...later: not so much to compensate for it.

I imagine Geno will look at the tape and figure out a few things to get things smoother...For the 2nd game in a row (once)...a center (Aaliyah) smashed straight in and scored...so much better than going East/West as per normal.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I guess these games are used to have players work on some things but theses laughers game after game are no way to get ready for the late rounds of the tourney. Other top seeds will end their seasons playing games where the outcome is in doubt going into the 4th quarter. UConn won’t unless they just don’t show up. Plus it’s a lot more fun to watch a good basketball game.
So what is UConn supposed to do, not play. They play who is on the schedule and by winning by so much it tells us they are a really good team. If they were struggling to win the games, I could understand the doubting.

Reaction Score
So what is UConn supposed to do, not play. They play who is on the schedule and by winning by so much it tells us they are a really good team. If they were struggling to win the games, I could understand the doubting.
Of course they are a really good team and there is nothing to do about the conference games they have to play. I just think it puts them at a disadvantage as has been the case in recent years when they go up against Final Four caliber teams who had to play other top teams in their conferences.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
UConn's defense would sometimes hold Creighton until the clock ran down and then allowed a lay up with less than three seconds on the clock. That had to be frustrating to the coaches. However, the team played well for the most part and any criticism of Paige or Muhl is unfair.

Reaction Score
I think we need to remember that these freshmen have not experienced a college season before. A lot more games and a lot more travel. Not to mention the herky jerky stumbling through the season with the pandemic. These kids aren't machines, and for those with short memories, Stewie went into a funk as a freshman and came out of it just in time for the NCAA tournament. I'm not worried about Paige. She'll figure it out.

Reaction Score
Of course they are a really good team and there is nothing to do about the conference games they have to play. I just think it puts them at a disadvantage as has been the case in recent years when they go up against Final Four caliber teams who had to play other top teams in their conferences.
The evidence of the last 20 years would say different. The women's side of the BE had just blossomed when football ended it all. UConn waltzed through the BE back then just like now (Notre dame being an exception).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom