Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
You still want Providence after last nights shitshow? We did handle Creighton easily by 21 and only lost to Villanova by 2 at their home without Durham our starting guard, think about it, Friars get a lot of rest (8 days off) coming up and are really a hungry team! I don’t think any BE team wants to face us!!
Yes. My feeling of the team don’t change game to game

Reaction Score
We’re going to go 7-2 over our final 9. The irony is almost every poster in this thread complaining and yelling disappointment, are the same ones who were mocking posters for even suggesting we’d play this well during this stretch. You guys love to move the goal post to stay outraged. You were wrong. We don’t suck.

Reaction Score
We’re going to go 7-2 over our final 9. The irony is almost every poster in this thread complaining and yelling disappointment, are the same ones who were mocking posters for even suggesting we’d play this well during this stretch. You guys love to move the goal post to stay outraged. You were wrong. We don’t suck.

Checks out.

Reaction Score
He's proven he can take a team in the bottom up the AAC and take the to the top of the Big East. We're looking at a 5 seed at worst for the tournament, what else do you want from a guy in year 4? You expect a National Championship already? He's building the program back brick by brick, its not something that happens over night. Sounds like you're just super negative no matter how much good he does for the program

Reaction Score
You still want Providence after last nights shitshow? We did handle Creighton easily by 21 and only lost to Villanova by 2 at their home without Durham our starting guard, think about it, Friars get a lot of rest (8 days off) coming up and are really a hungry team! I don’t think any BE team wants to face us!!
Yeah every team in the Big East would rather face you than Villanova. It's not even close.

Reaction Score

Anyone who's been paying attention since Hurley got here knows we can pretty much expect that his teams will finish out the regular seasons strong. Could this be a marker that he's actually a pretty good head coach with a quality coaching staff/program that can adapt and make their teams better as the season progresses?

Here's his UConn teams' regular season records after Feb. 1st, and their records in the last 5 games of the regular season:

2018-19 [1st season of the rebuild]: 4-7, 3-2
2019-20 [no post-season due to COVID]: 7-5, 5-0
2020-21 [wacky COVID year]: 6-3, 5-0
2021-22 [1 game left to play]: 6-4, 4-1

Reaction Score
Anyone who's been paying attention since Hurley got here knows we can pretty much expect that his teams will finish out the regular seasons strong. Could this be a marker that he's actually a pretty good head coach with a quality coaching staff/program that can adapt and make their teams better as the season progresses?

Here's his UConn teams' regular season records after Feb. 1st, and their records in the last 5 games of the regular season:

2018-19 [1st season of the rebuild]: 4-7, 3-2
2019-20 [no post-season due to COVID]: 7-5, 5-0
2020-21 [wacky COVID year]: 6-3, 5-0
2021-22 [1 game left to play]: 6-4, 4-1

Forgot to give the summary for all 4 years: 23-19, 17-3

Reaction Score
The negative nancies in the "next 6 games" thread were saying 3-3. Villanova was a guaranteed L.

Sanogo played one of his worst games. Even with his defensive lapses he missed about 6 layups. RJ missed a wide open shot that would've given us the lead late.

Shots didn't fall and Creighton his 52% in the first half. We lost by 2.

I'd rather get that "bad luck" game out of the way now. Get DePaul Saturday and get ready for MSG.

But OMG are you kidding me? 4 seed sounds better than 3 seed the way it shakes out.

Reaction Score
UCONN Men's Basketball dropped a tweeter with an image of Hawkins and Sanogo standing in a cornfield and it seems the entire CU student body is having a complete meltdown. It's so bizarre that they are offended by a cornfield, as if it was meant as an insult or something. Nebraska. Corn. Go figure.

At any rate, they suck. Don't know any personally but by their Tone it's the impression that I get

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Ant ……love your passion. Seriously. but just a few weeks ago you had us 3-1 In a stretch we went 1-3. And then told us all for last 10 days creighton can’t beat us. There is a medium between you and the doomsayers when talking hoops . The truth, as usual, always lies in between.

Reaction Score
Ant ……love your passion. Seriously. but just a few weeks ago you had us 3-1 In a stretch we went 1-3. And then told us all for last 10 days creighton can’t beat us. There is a medium between you and the doomsayers when talking hoops . The truth, as usual, always lies in between.
well said August_West. There is one end of the spectrum where the crowd thinks the sky is falling as they expect this team to be great when in reality they are far from great, but good. On the other end of the spectrum there are posters suggesting without any doubt whatsoever(more implied than explicitly said) that UConn would've beaten Providence if Sanogo was healthy and playing and that they were definitely going to win yesterday at Creighton. While I do think UConn at home would be favored with a Sanogo in the line up, it is far from definitive that they would win against Providence and I thought yesterday's game was going to be a close UConn win.

The point is that this thinking in these two games that a loss is so out of the realm of possibility and a win is a foregone conclusion is just flat out ridiculous.

Reaction Score
The negative nancies in the "next 6 games" thread were saying 3-3. Villanova was a guaranteed L.

Sanogo played one of his worst games. Even with his defensive lapses he missed about 6 layups. RJ missed a wide open shot that would've given us the lead late.

Shots didn't fall and Creighton his 52% in the first half. We lost by 2.

I'd rather get that "bad luck" game out of the way now. Get DePaul Saturday and get ready for MSG.

But OMG are you kidding me? 4 seed sounds better than 3 seed the way it shakes out.
all good points but Kimani gets credit for the W w/Villanova...I personally think we loose that game if DH is in charge

Reaction Score
I don’t think I said Creighton can’t beat us. I said they shouldn’t. And I could agree with that. I’m just naturally a positive guy. BUT to say the season is going to turn into a “disaster” and then be disappointed after we go 7-2 is comical

Reaction Score
all good points but Kimani gets credit for the W w/Villanova...I personally think we loose that game if DH is in charge
I mentioned this last night in one of the threads but I don’t get this logic. Kimani was on the bench long before the Nova game and has been there since that game. The assistant coaches clearly are vocal on the sidelines and there is constant conversation between them and Dan, as well as the players.

This line of thinking implies that they aren’t allowed to communicate their ideas to Hurley or they state their thoughts and he rejects/ignores them. If that was the case, I highly doubt Kimani would continue to sit by Hurley’s side going on 4 years nor would Luke come back to work with Hurley after previously having a stint with him.

Hurley has final say, sure, but the entire coaching staff should be graded for the wins, as well as the losses.

Reaction Score
This is laughable, you clearly don't watch many Creighton games.
So when you watched him, what did he do well?

If you want to refute what my eyes see (I watched about 8 of their games, 6 with him), a Creighton fan agreed with, and what the stats say, I'm all ears.

He was clearly getting better, but he was pretty rough for most of the year.

Reaction Score
So when you watched him, what did he do well?

If you want to refute what my eyes see (I watched about 8 of their games, 6 with him), a Creighton fan agreed with, and what the stats say, I'm all ears.

He was clearly getting better, but he was pretty rough for most of the year.
He’s the only pg they have. So losing him is still a big deal. I also think he was a 6x freshman of the week

Reaction Score
He’s the only pg they have. So losing him is still a big deal. I also think he was a 6x freshman of the week
Those awards are generally based on simple box score stats and underrate turnovers, shot efficiency, and foul drawing. Re-distributing the shots he was taking instead of someone else is a real benefit of him being out. He was shooting 26% from 3 in conference play but still taking close to 5 a game. He was drawing less fouls than Jalen Adams used to.

His distributing was absolutely getting better, especially the last few games, but that was partially because they hit an easy part of their schedule. He was still relatively turnover prone even in his good games. But their scheme encourages ball movement and O'Connell and Hawkins are smart players that move the ball well. They definitely needed a game to adjust, but they'll be okay offensively. They're not going to ask Alexander to operate in traffic or make a lot of tough passes.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this last night in one of the threads but I don’t get this logic. Kimani was on the bench long before the Nova game and has been there since that game. The assistant coaches clearly are vocal on the sidelines and there is constant conversation between them and Dan, as well as the players.

This line of thinking implies that they aren’t allowed to communicate their ideas to Hurley or they state their thoughts and he rejects/ignores them. If that was the case, I highly doubt Kimani would continue to sit by Hurley’s side going on 4 years nor would Luke come back to work with Hurley after previously having a stint with him.

Hurley has final say, sure, but the entire coaching staff should be graded for the wins, as well as the losses.
i have no way of knowing...what you say makes sense...but when you are making the decision instead of providing suggestions, what happens is different. Blaney used players differently than Calhoun...Kimani did things differently than DH.

As an outsider, I see a head coach that seems stubborn/set in his ways (e.g. hedging Adama even when getting abused by it), and Assistant coaches that don't have the gravitas to challenge him, even if they work well together. Blaney was older than Calhoun and had a ton of head coaching experience and was more of a peer of JC IMO

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
It's incredible how basketball is never really talked about in any of these threads. It's always about one individual or another.

With that out of the way, we have to do something about the way we start games. The team with a few exceptions comes out wound so tight that it takes us minutes to get into the flow of the game. Coming back from double digits down regularly to win isn't a sustainable strategy.

Also, allowing a player to score 20 points in the second half if they aren't a star player seems like poor game planning or adjustments especially when said player is a center who plays back to the basketball. Being inflexible with your defensive game plan also is non sustainable long term (read: Syracuse).

Lastly, another bad shooting night did us in... if the 3s are going in we win if not we lose it's looking more and more clear that we don't really have another way to win which could lead us to #5 or a first round loss....But we are who we are.

Reaction Score
Kaluma went 1/5 from 3 in that one, 3/5 today. Looks like Hurley took your advice and tried leaving Kaluma wide open and it backfired.

Overall Creighton shot 20% from 3 against them and 41% across 2 games against us.
Perhaps ASU played better defense on Kaluma? We were certainly not double teaming Kalkbrenner, so the should have been someone playing tight defense on him. I do recall that Kaluma made a couple of 3-point shots while being tightly guarded. Unfortunately that happens when a shooter is hot. We have seen that our defense beyond the arc has not been the best part of the defensive effort over this season.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
i have no way of knowing...what you say makes sense...but when you are making the decision instead of providing suggestions, what happens is different. Blaney used players differently than Calhoun...Kimani did things differently than DH.
As an outsider, I see a head coach that seems stubborn/set in his ways (e.g. hedging Adama even when getting abused by it), and Assistant coaches that don't have the gravitas to challenge him, even if they work well together. Blaney was older than Calhoun and had a ton of head coaching experience and was more of a peer of JC IMO
Let’s be honest about nova. Kimani did great. But he really didn’t do much different than Dan. At least in crunch time. I thought kimani waited too long to get Hawkins or Polley in at end . Watch the last 5 minutes again. Starting lineup. Couldn’t score. Defended very well. Finally got Polley in and called a great play for him. A huge 3. A fortuitous tie up. And a cole right handed prayer. Game over. And we earned it . But kimani rode the starters for way too long scoreless. Just like Dan.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Sanogo was leaving Kalkbrenner wide open on the pick and roll all first half... Creighton just didn't look to him. they did in the second half
Exactly. For those who say Creighton is a "bad matchup", I say that's nonsense. Sanogo played poor defense on Kalkbrenner for much of the second half and that was the difference in the game. I look forward to seeing us play Creighton again. Correct those mistakes and you get the win.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Let’s be honest about nova. Kimani did great. But he really didn’t do much different than Dan. At least in crunch time. I thought kimani waited too long to get Hawkins or Polley in at end . Watch the last 5 minutes again. Starting lineup. Couldn’t score. Defended very well. Finally got Polley in and called a great play for him. A huge 3. A fortuitous tie up. And a cole right handed prayer. Game over. And we earned it . But kimani rode the starters for way too long scoreless. Just like Dan.

What you are discounting here is his calm demeanor. The team wasn't wound tight at all going into crunch time in that game. The game was free flowing sure he subbed a bit slow but his level of calm gave us a chance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom