Creighton has our number | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Creighton has our number

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Jefferson dominated Whaley on the boards, that should not happen. Guy is 6’5

Whaley had a nice game. We gave up 50 rebounds, can’t put that on him.

Reaction Score
We will find out next week how good Creighton really is. I'm skeptical.
how far do they have to make it before you stop reciting this? sweet 16 should do it since finishing in 2nd place and winning the BET wasnt enough...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They may well lose early. That doesn’t change the fact that they own us.

It’s always about matchups. I think Georgetown is 9-2 over its last 11 games but its two losses are to us.

Would have been nice to see them again tomorrow, but unfortunately a team that owns us like that beat us again tonight.

Reaction Score
how far do they have to make it before you stop reciting this? sweet 16 should do it since finishing in 2nd place and winning the BET wasnt enough...

Considering they haven't made the Sweet 16 since 1974, yeah probably.

Reaction Score
Whaley had a nice game. We gave up 50 rebounds, can’t put that on him.
Oh no doubt he did, just not used to us getting destroyed on the boards, especially against a much smaller team. Whaley certainly wasn’t the problem. But that’s one of the more favorable matchups he’s had on the boards.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You are what your record is. We are 0-3 versus them. And we had a full-strength Bouknight for two out of three. This is not a fluke. They are better than us.
McDermott has Danny's number...so far. Up 5 with less than 5 minutes remaining, UConn reverted to last year's "excruciating loss" pattern, which, astonishingly, proved more powerful than the UConn championship-winning formula of

1) Defensive stops
2) Limited turnovers
3) Made free throws

Creighton was held UNDER 60 points
UConn was 15-19 from the line
UConn committed only 8 turnovers

But RJ, in the perfect situation, drove the lane and took an unnecessary, ill-advised, and terrible-looking shot that was right out of what Alterique and CV did before the team 'figured it out' and went on its late season tear.

RJ's shot resulted in a game-ending injury, Zegarowski immediately beating Gaffney, and UConn never making another field goal. Excruciation redux.

And another thing: even if I agreed with what you wrote, I'd write, "They are better than we (are)."

I credit McDermott for in-game adjustment, including engineering Adama's 3rd foul, when nobody else was close to foul trouble. It was as significant as Wright's moves to neutralize Cole by saddling him with fouls. Our Big East rookie coach got schooled by the top two elders, plus Anderson with the MLK Day small ball. First year, new conference, Hurley's growing edge.

It was a worthy Big East semi-final, but a real fumble on the fundamentals of keeping a lead UConn style.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pisses me off that our fans we’re chalking up the BE title and a 4 seed in the tourny. We haven’t proven a thing, haven’t beaten a tournament team since I think USC? What we have proven is we don’t win close games, and that’s an enormous problem.
I liked the first part of this and not the second

Reaction Score

I wonder what that says about a team they beat three times this year. I’d be more skeptical about them.

Bouknight needs to be way better than he was tonight - finding his jumpshot would be a good start. I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer but this team is too inconsistent offensively to beat a good team with their star playing like that. Blown opportunity.

I suppose it’s tempered by the fact that they’re probably on schedule for year 3 of the Hurley era, but this should be a bit of a reality check. This team’s best win was back in the first week of December.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
They are a bad match up for us, to a man. Plus McDermott is a hell of a coach. They are physical in all of the right ways, mature and disciplined. Smart, tough players.
Bad matchup? I don't know. We lost 3 close games to them. One in OT and another by one possession. I would like to see them again.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
You are what your record is. We are 0-3 versus them. And we had a full-strength Bouknight for two out of three. This is not a fluke. They are better than us.

It didn’t seem like Bouk was full strength tonight. Idk something seemed off.

Reaction Score
Creighton has a lot of heady players and they’re experienced. They make us pay for doubling on the perimeter with quick passes and multiple shooters, and they were able to disrupt our sets on offense too. Credit to them for being a tough team. I think we have more talent, but they’re savvy and less likely to beat themselves as we are.
+1

UConn needs to learn to WIN these games

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Can't believe this UConn team has so many haters who call themselves fans. They even have the audacity to act like people who don't share their pessimism don't understand basketball. It's easy to see what Hurley was talking about when he said they're are a lot of detractors, and they tend to be the people who talk the most. Funny thing about them though, they only talk after a loss.

I blame this phenomenon on the internet, because I never see or hear these basketball scholars in the real world.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Can't believe this UConn team has so many haters who call themselves fans. They even have the audacity to act like people who don't share their pessimism don't understand basketball. It's easy to see what Hurley was talking about when he said they're are a lot of detractors, and they tend to be the people who talk the most. Funny thing about them though, they only talk after a loss.

I blame this phenomenon on the internet, because I never see or hear these basketball scholars in the real world.
?

Reaction Score
It didn’t seem like Bouk was full strength tonight. Idk something seemed off.
I don’t think he was off. They bum rushed double coverage at him immediately every time he touched the ball. We just didn’t look battle tested in that sort of environment.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I don’t think he was off. They bum rushed double coverage at him immediately every time he touched the ball. We just didn’t look battle tested in that sort of environment.
He wasn’t himself. Teams do that to him all the time and he doesn’t stumble and fall over

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Jefferson dominated Whaley on the boards, that should not happen. Guy is 6’5
Jefferson had an ok game. But I agree with the rebounding part of the game. I did not expect to get our butts handed to us on the glass

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He’s obviously an amazing player but I don’t think he is seasoned or hardened enough yet.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Three times? Wow. What does that say about us then?
I was quoting your comment which I was assuming about last nights game. But for 2/3 games, yes. Says we’re almost there. We’re a young team with some talent gaps. Not worried about it. The improvement this team has been making is great

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom