Crean vs Hurley | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Crean vs Hurley

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Hurley's ties to New Jersey should help him in being the number one choice because Billy Donavan isn't coming to Storrs

Reaction Score
Hurley would be better than Crean but Crean is a solid X’s and O’s guy and a good recruiter. UConn can do a lot worse than Crean.

Reaction Score
KO was an assistant on the team when those kids committed and I know KO had a lot to do with most of them choosing UConn. Not advocating that KO didn't have to go but the other side of your point is that it wasn't like KO came from outside the program and won with JC's players - he was part of that program thus those kids are part of him. In addition the job he did the year they were on probation was pretty darn good considering the circumstances. KO won a conference tournament and a NCAA -I'll take that over a couple of low major and mid major improvements but no national jingle - as Geno said - they can't take the national championship away from him or the program
Hurley may be the choice here but I'm not at all convinced - I would like to see some other names first- plus if Pitt offers - Hurley's going there
Crean - no thanks
To be honest there isn't a heck of a lot out there - at least declared available - but things might change after the tournament
I hope UConn makes the right choice - it's time to move on from KO - the negatives and the positives aside, the pros and cons - this is a HUGE time in this program and should not be in the position to take someone because they threaten to go somewhere else unless they are JC level (alright maybe the next level down from God!). I feel that AD David Benedict may feel pressure in one direction right now.
I don't disagree. It was in response to the OP who said Crean's best year was better than Hurley's best year. Look, we have a large enough sample set over the last 3 years to know something isn't right. I don't know exactly what happened, but something did and for the health of the program we need to move on. That said, I don't think anyone could/should discredit KO for what he accomplished those first few years. Hopefully when the dust settles and the emotions subside, people will realize that at that time, there simply was no one better for the job. I really believe that. The first two years were simply amazing. The job he did was amazing. The way he held those kids together the first year when they were playing for nothing was all him. The title year, how he had those kids playing level 5 defense, how he got Boatright to buy in, was something maybe only he could have done. Were they Calhoun's kids? You can say that. At the same time, that doesn't mean at all that Calhoun would have won a title with that same roster. I doubt he would have. In my mind, only one man could have. That man was KO. I hope more than anything that the break up goes well and KO feels he is welcomed back. He should be. He was the perfect bridge, did the perfect job early on, but its time to hand the baton off.

Reaction Score
I mean, if they’re going to use that argument, Hurley hasn’t yet had a season as good as Ollie in 2013-14. That should tell you it’s not a very good argument.
Hurley would have a four season stretch a lot better than Ollie ever had if Mike Krzyzewski retired and hand picked him as his successor.

Reaction Score
Pitt is “favorite” for Dan Hurley. Hopefully we can win him from that ACC team.

Reaction Score
Pitt is “favorite” for Dan Hurley. Hopefully we can win him from that ACC team.
Where did you hear that?

Would Hurley be able to bring any of this years recruiting class with him? Like Jermaine Harris. That would be a nice benefit.

Reaction Score
According to Pete Thamel, who wrote about how UConn how UConn wouldn’t be able to fire Ollie literally 2 days before he was fired. Thamel is just speculating.
I hope we get Hurley. Plus no job post yet for the head coach job. Why is there a delay

Reaction Score
A lot of people here are bandwagon types. Hurley is this Board model-type. Perhaps he should be hired!! Personally, I do not see RI as a model of or for Uconn-- 2 different animals. Football can fail, the odds of it being a top contender in the AAC upper ech. is not something that even its top supporters are predicting. But BB. We really (in the eyes of this novice) have one shot at Righting the Ship. And not very long-- less than 2-years. I say 2-years because the incoming coach will have to bring in 2(?) top recruits and show the School as highly competitive in that area. Relying on Grad transfers and other one-and-done players will not do it.

And, I don't remember Uconn as being a local recruit school. Yes, there have been good players that came aboard from local areas (CT, NY-- NE), but the net has been wider. And must be. I doubt that our AD is as casual in is thinking as many here. His job, but more significantly, his future job prospects are in the equation here. And many of YOU will be the first to call for his dismissal-- such is the happy status of people with desires but little responsibility.

Reaction Score
He turned Wagner into a regional power? He didn’t even go to an NCAA tourney there.
his point is that hurley was at wagner for 2 seasons;
13-17 1st season
25-6 2nd season
Then went to the rhode island dumpster fire where he started off 8-21, 14-18 and then got them NIT with 23-10. After was a 17-15 season, followed by 2 straight tournaments.
What matrim is really trying to say is that we're his final step on the ladder. Yeah, so what he couldn't get WAGNER of all teams in the tournament but at least he 180'd the catastrophic mess URI was in and that should be enough to dictate him coming to UConn to turn us around.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
his point is that hurley was at wagner for 2 seasons;
13-17 1st season
25-6 2nd season
Then went to the rhode island dumpster fire where he started off 8-21, 14-18 and then got them NIT with 23-10. After was a 17-15 season, followed by 2 straight tournaments.
What matrim is really trying to say is that we're his final step on the ladder. Yeah, so what he couldn't get WAGNER of all teams in the tournament but at least he 180'd the catastrophic mess URI was in and that should be enough to dictate him coming to UConn to turn us around.

I was just poking fun at the concept of regional power. I know he did a good job at Wagner.

Reaction Score
Donovan, and if it is a pipe dream, I will hit the pipe hard until BD says he is not iterested. ;)
Donovan isn't a pipe dream, its much less likely than that. The odds of landing Donovan are worse than being the sole winner of a $700mm, multi-state mega lottery. Please stop with this. You are making the entire fan base seem out of touch with reality.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Crean would be a great hire if he was bringing 2003 DWade with him.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
The optics are horrible.

images
I must say, I must say

Reaction Score
Pittsburgh message board says Hurley to UCONN according to Jeff Goodman.

Is there such thing as a Crystal Ball for coaches ?

Jeff Goodman aka The Coach Whisperer says | Panther-lair.com

Wow. I gotta say, those Pitt fans surprised me.

I was expecting a lot of "AAC vs ACC" takes.

But no. They seem to have a pretty good grasp of what UConn is and why Hurley would want to come here.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wow. I gotta say, those Pitt fans surprised me.

I was expecting a lot of "AAC vs ACC" takes.

But no. They seem to have a pretty good grasp of what UConn is and why Hurley would want to come here.

With what those people experienced the last two years it’s amazing they have their faculties remaining.

Reaction Score
Certainly would go for Hurley instead of Crean. Crean did have some great years at IU but that program is a blue blood and in a P5.

He found a diamond in the rough in Oladipo and recruited Zeller.

Hurley has been winning in a less than stellar conference with recruits ranked in the 100s (at least according to 247). If he's hired, we'll see if he steps up in the recruiting front but couldnt be worse than Crean though.

I just think Hurley would be a better fit with the relationships between Moore and the New. The dynamic between between the elder Hurley and JC would be interesting as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom