Crean vs Hurley | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Crean vs Hurley

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He turned Wagner into a regional power? He didn’t even go to an NCAA tourney there.

You’re talking to someone who thinks Earl Grant is a “high-level recruiter” because he was on staff for some terrible classes at a then-ACC bottom feeder. Take everything there with multiple grains of salt.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Most coaches haven't. And if your main point is 2013-14 for Ollie, it must be made that run was made with Calhoun's players. Hurley has brought two programs to conference championships and NCAA appearances and has a natural coaching trajectory.....low major(success) to mid-major(success).....to high major.
KO was an assistant on the team when those kids committed and I know KO had a lot to do with most of them choosing UConn. Not advocating that KO didn't have to go but the other side of your point is that it wasn't like KO came from outside the program and won with JC's players - he was part of that program thus those kids are part of him. In addition the job he did the year they were on probation was pretty darn good considering the circumstances. KO won a conference tournament and a NCAA -I'll take that over a couple of low major and mid major improvements but no national jingle - as Geno said - they can't take the national championship away from him or the program
Hurley may be the choice here but I'm not at all convinced - I would like to see some other names first- plus if Pitt offers - Hurley's going there
Crean - no thanks
To be honest there isn't a heck of a lot out there - at least declared available - but things might change after the tournament
I hope UConn makes the right choice - it's time to move on from KO - the negatives and the positives aside, the pros and cons - this is a HUGE time in this program and should not be in the position to take someone because they threaten to go somewhere else unless they are JC level (alright maybe the next level down from God!). I feel that AD David Benedict may feel pressure in one direction right now.

Reaction Score
It's an 18-year sample. Crean's never won a postseason tournament – not in Conference USA, not in the Big East, not in the Big 10.

Crean has won 3 Big 10 regular season championships, been to 4 sweet 16s and a final four.

Hurley's best full season thus far is finishing 3rd in the A-10 and losing in the second round of the tournament.

I still want Hurley, just don't understand where the idea that Crean would be a nightmare hire comes from.

Reaction Score
the weird dudeness does it for me. No Crean

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Both coaches would be fine, to say one is better then the other is laughable. Still, niether should be our primary target.

Reaction Score
Donovan, and if it is a pipe dream, I will hit the pipe hard until BD says he is not iterested. ;)
Oh I agree if it’s realistic. I just don’t know if it is lol

Reaction Score
Calhoun was way, way ahead of Hurley though. Guy had 250 wins before stepping on campus. Had a conference winning percentage of .800. In his last 7 years, he won the conference 6 times.

Completely fair point. Also a different era. But basketball is basketball. JC is an all time great can’t replace him.

Reaction Score
Hurley's reaction alone to his brother's team making the tourney makes me want him. Definitely the top choice for me, just saying I think Crean is a solid fall back option.

True he’s a good coach. My fall back is Dave Smart tho ;)

Reaction Score
I had the same opinion of Crean as most of you until I listened to his interviews on Pardon My Take. My opinion of him totally changed, he seems like a much more likable guy than I could have imagined.

He wouldn't be my top choice, but I could live with the hire if that's who we end up with.

Reaction Score
He turned Wagner into a regional power? He didn’t even go to an NCAA tourney there.
Not to defend nor support Hurley, but the guy was at Wagner all of 2 seasons. 1st, losing record. 2nd, IIRC 20+ wins albeit in their crap conference.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not to defend nor support Hurley, but the guy was at Wagner all of 2 seasons. 1st, losing record. 2nd, IIRC 20+ wins albeit in their crap conference.

Not to mention he took over a 5-26 team. Went 13-17 his first year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'd be extremely disappointed if UConn ended up with Crean. I know someone who is a big donor at Marquette and I've heard enough stories to creep me out.

Does he hog the goat mask at the orgies?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not to mention he took over a 5-26 team. Went 13-17 his first year.

It’s the NEC.

‘May contain basketball like substance’

Derek Whittenburg was like 50-15 at Wagner and even got a 15 seed. Whatever you do don’t look directly at his record at Fordham.

It’s like watching that video in the Ring.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom