Crazy observation - not a complaint. Whazzup with Saniya's exaggerated head fakes?

Discussion in 'UConn Women's Basketball' started by KevCav, Jan 12, 2017.

1. KevCav

KevCav

Maybe I'll play the game back to see if she faked anyone out. On a side note, Danger made the coolest move last night - and the fans were in awe.

2. CBear01

CBear01

I've seen Kia do it a few times too. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. With everything else Saniya brought to the table for the 90th win, her travel call (with the exaggerated head bobble) didn't bother me too much

DaddyChoc and KevCav like this.
  3. pvdoggy

pvdoggy

I have never seen anyone bit on Sanya's head fake in any game because it seems like her followed up move is so quick after the head fake that the opponent never has a chance to react to the fake.

4. KevCav

KevCav

My sentiments. watching rerun of game now.
    I also like Saniya's soft jumper - she goes up on two feet, down and then puts up a smooth, almost mechanical shot - always the same motion.

noirwestern, Bronxjeff and CBear01 like this.
  5. HGN

HGN

The head fakes are nothing more than old habits from her HS days. Some times they may work , most times they haven't.

KevCav, dtbtbtb and CocoHusky like this.
  6. Icebear

Icebear Andlig Ledare

Completely disagree. The purpose of the head fake or up fake is 1) to freeze the defender mentally just long enough to go by and 2) to unload the defender's muscles and contact with the playing surface to where they can't react if the wanted to do that. Both are effective, one because it stops a defender the other mentally for a fraction of a second and the other because physically there is nothing the defender in the air can do. Saniya does use both. Not every defender bites on every fake. Saniya simply over exaggerates them compared to many. Yes, they have been effective for her but she does over use them at times.

Sometimes the officials bite on a good fake and miss the call, too.

7. oldude

oldude bamboo lover

Saniya's head fakes are fine. At times though, she shuffles her feet when she does her head fake, leading to traveling calls.

CMC'72, Florida Fan, mdakota and 2 others like this.
  8. DaddyChoc

DaddyChoc His Chockishness

smh... poor Saniya

cookie447, noirwestern and HuskyLax like this.
  9. meyers7

meyers7 Smarty Pants

Reminds me of my dad. He always said he never got faked out playing football. The runner would fake one way and come back the other. Dad said he was sooo slow, he'd still be there.

plastic, Jimbo, fleudslipcon and 8 others like this.
  10. JordyG

JordyG

Kia makes the same exaggerated head fakes. Whatever works.

11. B BLOCK

B BLOCK

Never remember head fakes in high school. Usually she didn't have to, just blew by everyone to the basket. Saw most to her high school games, don't recall many head fakes.

12. tomcat

tomcat

I can't be as analytical as Icebear, and I don't know as much, anyway, so here's my explanation: The head fake, done in as exaggerated manner as Saniya (and sometimes Kia) does, causes the defender to say to herself, "What the hell was that?" and as she does, the UConn player blows by her.

cookie447, Buster, DaddyChoc and 4 others like this.
  13. Fairfield Fan

Fairfield Fan

They televised her high school games in the NY area, and she did that all the time! And whenever she made that goofy move like she was about to fall over on her side, she would drive to the basket and either make the bucket, or get fouled, and make the free throws. Absolutely love it when she does that. For some reason, perhaps confidence, she has rarely done it at UConn, but that strange "I'm falling over!" move was a hallmark of her game in HS!! And it works!

Rayvin56, noirwestern and HuskyLax like this.
  14. Gus Mahler

Gus Mahler Popular Composer

LOL!

Great explanation!

15. msf22b

msf22b Maestro

She's been doing it since she's 11
    Doesn't actually fake anyone...
    just an affectation, before she passes off for an assist or makes a 3. :)

16. Chong-Master

Chong-Master

Enough with the Saniya Chong negatives. Why simply post positives about her game, especially this season (as well as the positives concerning ever member of this team). You might learn to like it !!!

17. KevCav

KevCav

The head fakes just make me chuckle because they are so overly exaggerated. I really like Saniya's game.
    Her leg problems seem to be behind her - or at least managed well by PT and hopefully, she will be able to rise to her potential with little physical ailments for the rest of the season.

oldude likes this.
  18. DaddyChoc

DaddyChoc His Chockishness

that head fake worked like a charm tonight

noirwestern and Millenial23 like this.
  19. Topdawg

Topdawg

She had 4 assists and no turn overs. Solid game.

Jimbo, noirwestern and DaddyChoc like this.
  20. Bretski

Bretski

Saniya's head fakes are ridiculous. I love them :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

21. Kmoney

Kmoney

On the 6th day Geno created Saniya from the body parts of all the great guards in basketball. For fun he gave her a "bobble head".

22. watanabe

watanabe

Tonight, the announcer made the announcement after one of Saniya's drives to the basket:

"Saniya and one,"

as she got fouled after making the shot.

Until the last several games, I wondered if Saniya would ever "get it." Well she has, weird head fakes and all. In fact, as she has blossomed, she does the head fake less and less. It seems as she gets out of rhythm, she starts using it.

Now a days, Saniya can best be described as Core Four, and one. She has earned her starting position, plus!

uconnell and FanFromMaine like this.
  23. CTBballfan243

CTBballfan243

I always think of Elaine Benes (seinfeld) dancing, Whenever Saniya does her head fake.

24. Florida Fan

Florida Fan

You caught it, the wobble head fakes AND the foot shuffle equals those walking calls.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2017
  25. wbfree

wbfree

Did you see the head fake against A'ja Wilson. A'ja jumped so high, Saniya just went under her and dished it off to Gabby for and easy layup, which was missed but she got fouled. Great move and pass by Saniya which really didn't get mentioned by the announcers.