OT: - Craig Carton Arrested by FBI | The Boneyard

OT: Craig Carton Arrested by FBI

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Outside of his Suzyn Waldman bit I hate this guy. Love Booms.

I kinda hope he isn't guilty of something like this. He really was set, I had thought.

Reaction Score
Outside of his Suzyn Waldman bit I hate this guy. Love Booms.

I kinda hope he isn't guilty of something like this. He really was set, I had thought.

Hate for me might be strong but I'm not a fan. Thought it was chicken Boomer didn't take any calls today to discuss issue. If it was anyone else getting arrested like this Carton would have killed them all day. I hope the sports pope gets into it.

Reaction Score
Hate for me might be strong but I'm not a fan. Thought it was chicken Boomer didn't take any calls today to discuss issue. If it was anyone else getting arrested like this Carton would have killed them all day. I hope the sports pope gets into it.
I hate him

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
He used to go into rants about Calhoun and cheating.
Sports Pope!!! Lol. Classic

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Does not sound good at all. It just amazes me how people can get themselves into that much of a gambling debt. Craig must have been really desperate. I just always wonder, do these people actually think they are going to get away with it?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I hate to see that stuff happen to people and families, life is hard enough. Obviously all their lives are about to change dramatically for the worse.

Not defending his crimes, sounds like he deserves it. I just have empathy for his family and friends

Reaction Score
Was never a huge fan of his, but reading the story is really sad. Guy was beyond desperate.

Reaction Score
He kept me from listening to the morning show, I couldn't stand him. I get that WFAN wanted it to be more of a variety show than pure sports since it replaced Imus but he was really annoying most of the time. Too childish to tolerate.

This also has a bit of irony to it, he always acted holier-than-thou when other public people made mistakes or did something dumb. As if it was beyond him to ever make a poor decision.

Reaction Score
Certainly a sad story considering that Carton has a family and probably a gambling addiction. I know multiple people in the entertainment industry that have dealt with Carton. He was supposedly talented, but just as big of a blowhard in real life as radio. After reading part of the complaint, here is what stood out to me:
  • What a crappy job of due diligence by the hedge fund and a similarly crappy job by the venue company that allowed Carton to divert the hedge fund's money to his own company. Both should be on the hook for being hoodwinked with pretty weak frauds by Carton.
  • While I don't wish for bad on people (again, especially since Carton has a family), Carton allegedly did bad things. If the accusations are true (and it's hard to imagine they aren't considering the evidence), he is a common thief. This isn't someone that just got in over his head. He may've tried to purchase the tickets after converting the money to his own benefit, but he knew he was stealing.
  • This is just a follow-up on a fraud that the SEC started prosecuting against Joseph Meli in January. Apparently, "Hamilton" was the main attraction that brought hedge fund money in. Carton HAD to have known his days were numbered when Meli got collared. Also surprising that his WFAN colleagues wouldn't have known he was involved with Meli. This can't be a surprise around WFAN.
  • Regardless of the fraud, Carton still got hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of Metallica and Streisand tickets at face value directly from the venue, which he clearly intended to scalp. This is what pisses off the artists and their fans. Fans never have a chance to get good tickets at face value because of these side deals. Funny that Carton lost money on the Streisand tickets though.
  • Also crazy that Carton was able to put nearly $1mm on his credit cards to buy the concert tickets that he did secure. I doubt he paid off those bills!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Wow, he is screwed big time and I feel bad for all of those he ripped off.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Does not sound good at all. It just amazes me how people can get themselves into that much of a gambling debt.

You keep thinking you'll win it back with smart moves or hit a good run of luck. You dig and dig and dig. Then wake up one day realizing, "crap, I'm screwed."

Craig must have been really desperate. I just always wonder, do these people actually think they are going to get away with it?

I don't think they even consider it. It's desperation as you say. That's an animal survival instinct that squelches over all reason. They see it as a chance vs the end.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Carton is always talking about bookies, giving advise to callers on betting on games and Boomer mentions his entertainment promotion connections Boomer and Carton are my second favorites on the fan behind Benigno and Roberts. Now can Carton take Chris Christie down too?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Carton is always talking about bookies, giving advise to callers on betting on games and Boomer mentions his entertainment promotion connections Boomer and Carton are my second favorites on the fan behind Benigno and Roberts. Now can Carton take Chris Christie down too?

I don't understand how anyone can actually like Beningo. The guy 's absolutely clueless.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Because he's a regular guy. He wears his NY fandom on his sleeve and is relatable. Unlike that stuffed shirt Francesa talking about his race horses.

He's a regular guy, sure. To me, he's the regular guy in the group who has a ton of takes with no substance.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I gotta believe Carton's Tourette's charity was part of the fraud too. Easy money coming in and debts to pay......

Reaction Score

How Bro Joe has a job in broadcasting in any market, let along NYC is an absolute miracle, that guys is horrific - but we all like what we like.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Does anyone else remember Carton bringing up the side deals he was working on and asking Boomer if he had a uber-rich friends? I wouldn't be surprised if he scammed some of Boomer's friends. It's funny how things become clearer when news like this breaks. I also remember Boomer getting on Carton for not paying him and the producers for lost bets they'd made with him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom