Cowherd on Kentucky Basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cowherd on Kentucky Basketball

Reaction Score
I've never really minded Cal. I don't care that he trolled us when he was at UMASS. That was 20+ years ago and we've gotten the best of him in the biggest games so I could care less. Furthermore, I also find him kinda entertaining. As far as his ability to recruit top talent is concerned, he must have a very solid and legit presentation. He wouldn't be fooling players and families year after year with empty promises. As far as coaching is concerned, he has some blemishes on his record when it comes to crunch time in big games.

Reaction Score
A lot of folks missed the point. He stated Cal was the greatest recruiter in BB history. Before Cal KY was weak in NBA results. And, no one has yet changed that despite the talent, If 2 0r 3 of the young, amazing talents become legendary, this narrative changes. But until then, it is an elite college program w/o elite NBA production.

I cant listen right now so maybe I shouldnt comment but i really hope thats not the 'point', because its terrible. No one goes from a college freshman in 2009-10 to NBA legend in 2017. Im not saying Cal should or shouldnt get credit for developing the guys but their young talent in the NBA is crazy right now. Colin also hates John Wall for basically no reason.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I cant listen right now so maybe I shouldnt comment but i really hope thats not the 'point', because its terrible. No one goes from a college freshman in 2009-10 to NBA legend in 2017. Im not saying Cal should or shouldnt get credit for developing the guys but their young talent in the NBA is crazy right now. Colin also hates John Wall for basically no reason.

he is framing it in terms of championships, which (for better or for worse...) is how a lot of people gauge nba superstar-level talent. his "starting five" from uk have produced a grand total of 0 championships, while schools like ucla and kansas have, like, a dozen.

if you listen to cowherd's interview with cal from a few months back, it's clear that he basically worships the guy.

Reaction Score
he is framing it in terms of championships, which (for better or for worse...) is how a lot of people gauge nba superstar-level talent. his "starting five" from uk have produced a grand total of 0 championships, while schools like ucla and kansas have, like, a dozen.

if you listen to cowherd's interview with cal from a few months back, it's clear that he basically worships the guy.
Then his point is idiotic. The NBA is loaded with studs from Kentucky, Self has basically put out nothing from Kansas to the NBA.

Reaction Score
Then his point is idiotic. The NBA is loaded with studs from Kentucky, Self has basically put out nothing from Kansas to the NBA.

isn't most sports journalism a little idiotic? he is using all-time, historical greats, so the KU squad has dudes like wilt and paul pierce on it.

Reaction Score
Not an Artest fan, but I thought his analysis on the uk program was spot on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Weren't we begging for Diamond Stone? Rudy Gay, Andre Drummond, weren't they 2 and to the league? We can't be hypocrites. We would take these one and two dones in a second. I mean KO would take a quarter of what Calipari gets and we'd be a top 15 team I'm quite sure. I dislike Duke and Kentucky for stockpiling these players and I admit I'm envious we can't get them. What we have been able to get to the NBA is astonishing.

Reaction Score

You don't want to listen to him, then you don't know his point. He starts by saying that UK is one of the 3 greatest programs in NCAA history with UCLA, and IIRC, NC(?). UK has a very long history. Going back decades. They don't have that one defining pro. He states "you can't tell the NBA story without UConn and Ray Allen". KU has had Wilt, UNC has had MJ, UCLA has had Kareem. UK has.....?

He states that from 1903-2009 (pre-Squid era) you can tell the NBA story without UK.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As opposed to the Duke program that won the championship with three one and dones a couple years ago and is trying to do the same thing this year? The NCAA has made a mockery of the student-athlete, not Kentucky.

With regards to the UConn women's program...come on. Sure, individually they might grow throughout four years, but ultimately, you're watching them go from champions to champions. If you're looking for adversity or an evolution of team play, Kentucky is actually a fairly reputable case study. They're consistently much better at the end of the season than the beginning, save for a couple years where they had some transcendent talent.

Don't agree.

As I think you & others know, Geno does not get absolutely every top kid. His success is far more the ability to select those young women who fit his plan. And I think it's fair to say, the ones that fit are harder to identify than we think. Champions to champions?

Fact is Gabby Williams & Napheesa Collier are great examples of development of talent. In Sept to March at UK, there's no way you see that level of growth.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It's been shown statistically by FiveThirtyEight that relative to the rest of their respective sport's Cal consistently get's higher ranked talent than Geno. I'd also argue that top rated male recruits are more prepared to come in and contribute than top ranked female recruits, but Geno's players stay all 4 years for obvious reasons.

Reaction Score
isn't most sports journalism a little idiotic? he is using all-time, historical greats, so the KU squad has dudes like wilt and paul pierce on it.

This would be idiotic if it was sports journalism. But its not. It is pure theater.

Also, good luck telling the "NBA story" without Pat Riley.

Reaction Score
As someone who called Kentucky his home away from home and still stays in touch via Facebook.
Their fans may tell you it's about getting guys to the NBA but the reality is anything less than a NC is a disappointment.
They love their players but their NC teams are special. If Calipari doesn't win one in the next couple of yesrs the natives will get increasingly inpatient.
But John being John I'm sure he already has an exit strategy.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
A lot of folks missed the point. He stated Cal was the greatest recruiter in BB history. Before Cal KY was weak in NBA results. And, no one has yet changed that despite the talent, If 2 0r 3 of the young, amazing talents become legendary, this narrative changes. But until then, it is an elite college program w/o elite NBA production.

one and done rules have played a major part in that development

Reaction Score
I think every one of Squid's players get there straight out of HS, or at least with or without Squid
THIS. If players could go straight to the NBA out of HS, most of the Squid's players would be lottery picks. Many underachieve and get drafted later if at all. He gets credit for 'developing' these guys, though they've only been on campus a few months. Their HS & AAU coaches have developed them more than he has.

Reaction Score
Calipari is slime. He is the teflon don of college basketball and that has enabled him to recruit more talent than any team, ever. But he has underachieved with that talent and that is obvious to anyone other than the clowns who have a hard one for playing the devil's advocate.

The NCAA needs to castrate him. The development league is a bonafide minor league now. Draft the kids straight out of high school and stick them in the D-league for a year. That is in the NBA's court. As for the NCAA, every scholarship should be for a minimum of 3 years. If a kid transfers to another college, you get that scholarship back. However, if the kid goes pro after his first year, that scholarship stays tied up for another 2 years. If the kid jumps after 2 years, it is tied up for another year. I have done the analysis. This would reduce the total number of D1 scholarships by a VERY small percentage. It would make life a lot more challenging for the squid, K, Roy, Bill Self and a couple of other shady characters.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
. As far as his ability to recruit top talent is concerned, he must have a very solid and legit presentation. He wouldn't be fooling players and families year after year with empty promises. As far as coaching is concerned, he has some blemishes on his record when it comes to crunch time in big games.[/QUOTE]

Yes you can keep fooling 18 year old kids with talk of gold. They are not the same kids being conned each year. But, if he doesn't cheat to do it, he is good at it.
His problems at previous colleges were significant and he avoided the consequences and left kids and universities to take the hits.
And your idea of him in crunch time is just wrong. Most talented team for 7 years and 1/ championship. If Ollie did that people might be calling for him to be fired

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Listening before commenting would be good. He is open to the fact they may change and that Cal has brought in a lot of talent. But he thinks the "best one" has yet to win a playoff game and his new teammate is a headcase (which KY over represents) Again, he is talking legendary talent you could not leave out of the history of the NBA

H

huskymagic

Colin Cowherd is awesome and spot on with his hit piece on Kentucky basketball. The fact is their all time top 5 as Cowherd listed is worse than many major programs. If you are a top 3 all time basketball program and your best guys are John Wall, Davis, and Cousins then you can omit Kentucky from NBA history and nothing important would be left out.

Does that change the fact that Calimari is raking in 5 five stars every year: no. Even with that their best guys are not comparable to UCLA, North Carolina, Kansas, Michigan St, LSU, Wake Forest, UCONN, Georgetown, etc

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom