Cowherd on Kentucky Basketball | The Boneyard

Cowherd on Kentucky Basketball

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, this is a good watch. He even includes a UConn mention to further prove his point.
He makes some interesting points as it relates to Kentucky players in the NBA. For such a storied program, they've never had the 1 or 2 NBA greats like UNC, Duke, UCLA ever had.
I like how he pointed out that the 2 biggest head-cases in the NBA are from Kentucky- Rondo and Cousins.

Reaction Score
There's 24 Kentucky players in the league right now. Three all stars were from Kentucky. KAT should have been an all star,. Eric Bledsoe and Booker seem to be a year or two away from being all stars. Jamal Murray went off and won MVP in the rising star game. I could go on.

I just get why we try to take away from what he's done at Kentucky. It's sad. We beat them in 2011 and 2014, that says it all. But to deny that Kentucky is an NBA factory right now and many of his guys are doing extremely well in the league is preposterous.

Reaction Score
aint that the point though ...

It is an NBA factory. It is not a College Basketball Program. It is not about student athlete (and don't get me started on this trail) ... and their fanbase (while wild) is not seeing the growth of kids and the development of the Team. As much as some piss on the UConn Women's Program, they ARE the epitome of the college experience. Watching young women grow as persons and develop athleticism and character over a 4 year period. There is something special about that.

Calipari can have his 30 for 30. What is special there is turning a University into something akin to Dr. Andrews training facility in Pensacola.

Reaction Score
There's 24 Kentucky players in the league right now. Three all stars were from Kentucky. KAT should have been an all star,. Eric Bledsoe and Booker seem to be a year or two away from being all stars. Jamal Murray went off and won MVP in the rising star game. I could go on.

I just get why we try to take away from what he's done at Kentucky. It's sad. We beat them in 2011 and 2014, that says it all. But to deny that Kentucky is an NBA factory right now and many of his guys are doing extremely well in the league is preposterous.
Calipari at Kentucky is more like a distribution center than a factory. All his NBA players were produced in AAU.

Reaction Score
Towns is nearing greatness as we speak. Calipari keeps getting top guys it's just a matter of time. The other thing is that he has them for 1 year or at most 2, so to blame him for what poor development? Nuts.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

I think this is not as much an indictment on Calipari as it is on the entire Kentucky basketball program.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Towns is nearing greatness as we speak. Calipari keeps getting top guys it's just a matter of time. The other thing is that he has them for 1 year or at most 2, so to blame him for what poor development? Nuts.
I guess what some of us are saying is that Kensucky is just a temporary layover for all these destined to be pros. They come to the Squid with NBA talent and were developed at the AAU level much more than anything that he could lend except for some defensive tactics which won't be used or needed in the NBA.
Why do they go to Kensucky? because the Squid has been allowed to use the program as an NBA Hotel 66 and the school, alum, fans and students are happy to have it that way.
What I would like to see is the NCAA and NBA to agree on a policy that states a player can come directly out of high school or the player has to stay 2 years in college. That would put the Squid out of business
Right now, the Squid has really little or no positive or negative development on these 1 and dones

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I hate the Squid. While I have to hand it to him for the collection of talent he gets every year, what is the program goal? Is it championships? His way hasn't been that successful. One title in 8 years with all that talent. UCONN has 2 titles since he went to Kentucky. The goal is a feeder program to the NBA. The question is- how much does he improve the talent once it is there?

Reaction Score
aint that the point though ...

It is an NBA factory. It is not a College Basketball Program. It is not about student athlete (and don't get me started on this trail) ... and their fanbase (while wild) is not seeing the growth of kids and the development of the Team. As much as some piss on the UConn Women's Program, they ARE the epitome of the college experience. Watching young women grow as persons and develop athleticism and character over a 4 year period. There is something special about that.

Calipari can have his 30 for 30. What is special there is turning a University into something akin to Dr. Andrews training facility in Pensacola.

As opposed to the Duke program that won the championship with three one and dones a couple years ago and is trying to do the same thing this year? The NCAA has made a mockery of the student-athlete, not Kentucky.

With regards to the UConn women's program...come on. Sure, individually they might grow throughout four years, but ultimately, you're watching them go from champions to champions. If you're looking for adversity or an evolution of team play, Kentucky is actually a fairly reputable case study. They're consistently much better at the end of the season than the beginning, save for a couple years where they had some transcendent talent.

Reaction Score

He's saying they are not top stars. The names he is throwing out to compare them to are memorable all timers. He called Davis and Cousins and Wall tremendously gifted. Compare to LSU though. None of the Kentucky guys are Maravich, Pettit and Shaq.

Reaction Score
He's saying they are not top stars. The names he is throwing out to compare them to are memorable all timers. He called Davis and Cousins and Wall tremendously gifted. Compare to LSU though. None of the Kentucky guys are Maravich, Pettit and Shaq.
True. Calipari started in 09 at Kentucky. It won't be some time until we can look back and possibly call one of his guys a "memorable all-timer." I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying there's a decent chance that a Kentucky grad now or in the near future could enter this category.

Reaction Score
True. Calipari started in 09 at Kentucky. It won't be some time until we can look back and possibly call one of his guys a "memorable all-timer." I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying there's a decent chance that a Kentucky grad now or in the near future could enter this category.

Davis or Towns. I don't think anyone else has a chance, but these guys are going to have to improve and have a bit of luck. I mean, Dwight Howard was once considered an NBA beast, but he fell off and never achieved greatness. It is hard to get there. Rip Hamilton was an All-Star and also lead his team to championships, but he doesn't qualify as an All-Timer either. Not even Cliff Robinson who is one of the top NBA scorers in history. But Ray Allen is.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
With Towns and Davis I have no doubt they will be fine. We need to keep an eye on our own team in this regard instead of just laughing at UK.

That being said, I do think there is some credence in what Cowherd says.

Reaction Score
I hate the Squid. While I have to hand it to him for the collection of talent he gets every year, what is the program goal? Is it championships? His way hasn't been that successful. One title in 8 years with all that talent. UCONN has 2 titles since he went to Kentucky. The goal is a feeder program to the NBA. The question is- how much does he improve the talent once it is there?
4 Final Four in the previous 6 seasons is not successful?

Reaction Score
Calipari isn't making these guys great but Kentucky has a load of talent in the league and one player who is a top 5 player in the league and will probably become the best player in the league (Davis), Cousins has the best low post game in the league maybe only ahead of Towns who is on the verge of greatness and Wall is one of the elite point guards. Not going to click on the video because Cowherd's voice annoys me but if he is trying to make a case that Kentucky has no great players in the league, he knows even less than I thought he did.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

I think every one of Squid's players get there straight out of HS, or at least with or without Squid

It's the game he mastered, NBA rules helped make him great, and unless the rules change he'll never have an opportunity to prove otherwise

I personally don't want kids arriving in August and leaving the next April. I wouldn't enjoy that, I didn't enjoy AD much, while I loved watching HA or Bazz or Ray and even a Sophomore like Caron emerge (and many others too). There's less bonding between one and done and the school. You love the girl you're married to, but not the hooker (oh no I didn't) :cool:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
A lot of folks missed the point. He stated Cal was the greatest recruiter in BB history. Before Cal KY was weak in NBA results. And, no one has yet changed that despite the talent, If 2 0r 3 of the young, amazing talents become legendary, this narrative changes. But until then, it is an elite college program w/o elite NBA production.

Reaction Score
man, i am sure this is an unpopular opinion on this board, but i really like cowherd. sometimes the stuff he says is garbage, but he's always worked up about it and it's fun to listen to.

"you can't tell the nba story with uconn and ray allen" probably buys him some points, as well.

Reaction Score
They regularly lose to more experienced teams in big games- not only to us twice, but to Wisconsin in 2015, IU last year, etc. That is a consequence of "succeed and proceed."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom