COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel | Page 24 | The Boneyard

COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It protects against the transmission of airborne/viral illnesses. Asians have been wearing it even before covid and I sure in hell want my surgeon wearing one when I'm under the knife!

How 'bout you? You wearin' one when you're under the knife?

Reaction Score
I think you have a point there.

Maybe this is just coincidental, but on Monday, I went to my sister's house, maskless and visited her and her husband for about 4 hours inside her house.

Then, starting Wednesday, I got a stomach bug, diarrhea and all that stuff. During the whole pandemic from March 2020 until a few days ago, except having seen her and her husband a week ago, I had a good stretch of good health. I never went into anybody else's house maskless and even service providers wore masks when entering my house.

Coincidence or a result of going maskless?

I have read that wearing a mask can protect against a lot of illnesses. I am not advocating for it, only relating my experience.

Or...a degradation of your immune system?

Reaction Score
So you don't want your surgeon wearing one?
If he thinks he should, great. But, really, if he should wear one, why not me? (I had both knees replaced and didn't wear a mask...and if given the option, would have taken a hard pass. And, if the doc said, I'm not wearing one if you're not, I'd've said, looks like we're maskless today, carry on)

Reaction Score
If he thinks he should, great. But, really, if he should wear one, why not me? (I had both knees replaced and didn't wear a mask...and if given the option, would have taken a hard pass. And, if the doc said, I'm not wearing one if you're not, I'd've said, looks like we're maskless today, carry on)

Each unto their own. However, you do know that most if not all surgeons are required to wear one right? Because you know - science? The same science that made your knee replacement possible also advocates surgeons wearing a mask during surgery. But whatever, thanks for crashing the vaccine thread.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It protects against the transmission of airborne/viral illnesses. Asians have been wearing it even before covid and I sure in hell want my surgeon wearing one when I'm under the knife!

Your surgeon wears it to protect you from bacterial infections, not viral. They don't do a great job of that either. Studies showed no real difference in post-op infections, masked or not. Bacteria are much, much larger than viruses in any event. But you know...science.

Reaction Score
Your surgeon wears it to protect you from bacterial infections, not viral. They don't do a great job of that either. Studies showed no real difference in post-op infections, masked or not. Bacteria are much, much larger than viruses in any event. But you know...science.

Both bacterial and viral - especially for surgeons during the pandemic. You don't have to cover your face when you cough when people are around though, right? You know - science? And it's common sense and disgusting not to.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear that. Day two of Moderna and I got up at 5:54 to smoke a pork butt and some ribs. Feel fine. Love me new Smoke device from ThermoWorks.

View attachment 66934

Edit: I’m still fine with just arm soreness. But my wife feels crappy now on day too and is running a fever.
I'm about to try a 3lb boneless boston butt on my pellet smoker for the first time, using the same ThermoWorks unit. I'm thinking 225 degrees for roughly 2 hrs per pound. Do you (or anyone else) have any tips? Do you do yours directly on the smoker until it reaches 145-155 or some other target temp, then wrap in foil until 190 or so? Or do you cook unwrapped the whole time?

Thanks!

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm about to try a 3lb boneless boston butt on my pellet smoker for the first time, using the same ThermoWorks unit. I'm thinking 225 degrees for roughly 2 hrs per pound. Do you (or anyone else) have any tips? Do you do yours directly on the smoker until it reaches 145-155 or some other target temp, then wrap in foil until 190 or so? Or do you cook unwrapped the whole time?

Thanks!

Whether you use the crutch (foil or butcher paper) really depends on how much bark you want, and how patient you are. I’d consider going slightly higher than 225 with a butt, maybe 235-240. It is just going to be pulled pork after all. I’d foil it at 165 up to 200. But I wouldn’t pull it until it is 200 everywhere. 190 isn’t going to break down everything. After several hours you’ve got the smoke in the meat and you could theoretically put it in a crock pot. Obviously not if you are doing a brisket or something else.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Whether you use the crutch (foil or butcher paper) really depends on how much bark you want, and how patient you are. I’d consider going slightly higher than 225 with a butt, maybe 235-240. It is just going to be pulled pork after all. I’d foil it at 165 up to 200. But I wouldn’t pull it until it is 200 everywhere. 190 isn’t going to break down everything. After several hours you’ve got the smoke in the meat and you could theoretically put it in a crock pot. Obviously not if you are doing a brisket or something else.
Really helpful, thanks!

Reaction Score
Is it safe to say people suffer less side effects from Pfizer than Moderna? I'm going tomorrow. All my family got Pfizer and had nothing but a sore arm for a bit so I think I'm gonna do that.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Is it safe to say people suffer less side effects from Pfizer than Moderna? I'm going tomorrow. All my family got Pfizer and had nothing but a sore arm for a bit so I think I'm gonna do that.
From what I hear yes. Some people with Modena had fever, body aches, etc. For me it felt more like a bad hangover. Don’t hear much about Pfizer knocking people out

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'll suggest using Google and peer reviewed analysis over the BY for this type info.

#Getthepfizer.

Reaction Score

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agreed.

This NEJM article came up when I googled the search term, peer reviewed articles on Covid Vaccine.

I got the Pfizer and had a sore arm for a couple of hours on my second shot and that was it.

I wouldn't listen to anyone's opinion in this thread. Research what is best for you based on age, gender, health, etc.

#Getthepfizer

Reaction Score
I’ve never gotten the flu or a flu shot. After my second Pfizer shot, I was literally horizontal for 24-30 hours. Didn’t eat, shakes, sweats, aches. And it vanished in a flash.

I’d do it all over again. Just clear your schedule and overdrink water before and after.

Reaction Score
From what I hear yes. Some people with Modena had fever, body aches, etc. For me it felt more like a bad hangover. Don’t hear much about Pfizer knocking people out
Pfizer knocked me out - fever, chills, aches, severe fatigue for about 18 hours. Also a number of friends and relatives in all age groups.

Reaction Score
The big talk is the delta variant but what about the lambda variant? First discovered in Peru I think and first case in the US recently occured in Texas.

And could we see an omega, gamma, zeta, kappa, or beta variant?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The big talk is the delta variant but what about the lambda variant? First discovered in Peru I think and first case in the US recently occured in Texas.

And could we see an omega, gamma, zeta, kappa, or beta variant?

Yep. There will be several more variants until this coronavirus works its way around the world a few times and peters out like previous coronaviruses. Some settle down quicker than others. Previous viruses like SARS and MERS certainly had the chance to take hold gobally and affect as many people as this one but it didn't have the staying power.

Get use to ups and downs for the near future and do what you need to do to keep yourself and those nearby safe as it goes through its progressions.

Yes, it's Wikipedia but you are free to go to the bottom to read the source documents for the references.

History of coronavirus - Wikipedia

Reaction Score
Took Moderna, side effects after both shots (however, based on that, good probability I might have had covid). The 1st shot only had a low fever, but didn't sleep the night after I took it, achy the next day, headache, pains, just a crummy mood...also next day was a Friday and I still went to teach that day, so I'm sure that amplified how I was feeling.

2nd shot had a much higher fever (102ish), but overall it felt almost like a weed gummy body high: very relaxed, no pain, just kinda floating around and hanging out. The oddest sensation was how immediately I flipped back to "normal", almost a surreal feeling. Thankfully, I was able to time it so my next-day-later was a Saturday.

Good luck today!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Had zero reaction other than a smidge of arm soreness after my Pfizer shots in March. Previously had a mild case of COVID back in December.

Just lucky in that regard. Not taking anything for granted. Losing my sense of smell even temporarily was very disturbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom